Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Beano question?
      #24356 - 10/24/03 12:25 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Hi all,
The label on Beano says that it's beneficial to use it before meals that contain gas producing foods. Specifically the label says to use Beano before eating: broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, corn, lettuce, onions, peppers as well as beans, peas, soy containing foods, cereals, whole grains and seeds.

The active ingredient in Beano is an enzyme called alpha-galactosidase. My understanding is that this enzyme is needed to digest beans, including soy, and peas. My question is whether this enzyme also helps to digest all the other foods listed on the Beano label or is this extensive list just-pardon my cynicism- marketing hype by the manufacturers of Beano?
Thanks!

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beano question? new
      #24361 - 10/24/03 01:44 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I don't know for sure but I do find that it helps me with ALL foods. I take it all the time before I eat most anything, other than breakfast which is oatneal. If I'm eating something really gassey like beans I will take 3-4 instead of 2 tablets. It has help me, it hasn't eliminayed ALL gas but it does help.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Yep - it helps with just about everything! -nt- new
      #24417 - 10/25/03 12:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yep - it helps with just about everything! new
      #24707 - 10/28/03 08:57 PM
lithelady

Thanks Michelle and Heather, good to know.

Heather,
Do you know why the alpha galactosidase enzyme helps w/ all of these foods?
Thanks, LL

--------------------

#24865 - 10/29/03 08:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I don't know the technical reasons why - sorry. I checked the Beano website and they say:

How does Beano work?

Beano contains an enzyme from a natural source that works with your body's digestion. It breaks down the large sugars found in gassy foods into smaller, easily digestible sugars before they reach the colon, thereby preventing gas before it starts.

That much I can grasp. The underlying chemistry behind it all they didn't give, and I definitely can't tell you that off the top of my head. I got a C in college chemistry (and let me tell you, I worked my buns off for that C!).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24967 - 10/30/03 12:53 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

I never had any success with Beano. I tried gas X and that didn't work. Was I supposed to take this with everything I eat?

#25186 - 11/02/03 12:20 PM
lithelady

Txs Heather. I liked chemistry- lucky me b/c at my college it was about a 10:1 ratio guys to girls......hard to concentrate in class but sure made group study LOTS of fun!!I'll try to call the 800# on the Beano bottle some day soon and see if I can get them to send me more detailed info.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4397 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review