All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Fennel
      #239991 - 01/19/06 05:21 PM
T~N~T

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Ohio

Hi, I'm new here. My insurance company just recently decided that I don't need Lotronex any more. I have been taking it for a year now and it has really given me my life back. But now I am back to square one. I decided to try some herbal remedies. I told my Doc a few things I was trying and one thing I mentioned was Fennel (tincture). She said not to take it that it will give me diarrhea. Since I am IBS-D that freaked me out. I just ordered a wonderful kit from Heather's website and the fennel tea is part of the kit as well as fennel in the peppermint caps. Has fennel worsened anyone else's D? I am taking peppermint caps, digestive enzymes, a probiotic and calcium supplements. Does this sound right to anyone else? I have been reading and asking people at the health food store as well as my Doc. The Doc seems the least worried about me and is only focused on my appeal to get the meds back. At this point I am so frustrated and really am having a hard time dealing. Can anyone offer me some advice? I really appreciate this place to ask questions and see what everyone else has learned about this life altering IBS.

Thanks!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome! Fennel will not cause diarrhea... new
      #240002 - 01/19/06 05:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

if anything, because it's an anti-spasmodic, it can help. But, I think a soluble fiber supplement is going to help you a lot more. I would definitely start taking one, at a low dose that you gradually increase. That has helped other folks who previously relied on Lotronex.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Welcome! Fennel will not cause diarrhea... new
      #240016 - 01/19/06 06:37 PM
T~N~T

Oh, thank you so much! I am waiting for my kit to arrive. I got the big Kahuna. I am excited to get started on it! I am so grateful for this site. Thank you!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

It's been great for me and no problems! new
      #240107 - 01/20/06 06:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And although I'm A my attacks are often D. So no probs for you!

Re: Fennel new
      #240165 - 01/20/06 09:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Just so you know, there are assistance plans to help people pay for meds. So even if your insurance company refuses to pay for your Lotronex, you may be able to get the drug at a reduced price from the pharmaceutical company or through some type of government initiative. Your doctor or pharmacist should be familiar with these programs and if they're not, the maker of Lotronex should be - they may have a program of their own.

Having said that, I would definitely advise you to try Heather's approach before going back on the Lotronex. I'm IBS-D and do great on Heather's diet plus SFS. I use Imodium and Donnatol as needed to help, although the longer I'm on the diet and taking enough SFS the less I need them.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#240552 - 01/22/06 09:23 AM
T~N~T

Thank you so much! I agree. I just got the kit I ordered from Heather yesterday. Between that and the vitamins supplements I feel pretty good. I think I will actually want to leave the house now. I actually have felt better since I quit the Lotronex. So even if they say I can have it I may not use it. My only worry now is we are driving to Florida for vacation in March. Last time we ate out all the time. That's ok but I was on Lotronex then I could eat pretty much what I wanted. Now eating out kind of turns me off since I can't decide how they cook the food. I guess I will have to bring food with me and do the best I can.

Thanks for the welcome! I love these message boards. I learn so much more than by talking to my Dr. I don't really think she totally understands what I'm going thru.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

You can Search to find places to eat out while you're on the road (m) new
      #240590 - 01/22/06 12:46 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There have been a lot of posts about eating out at various places. Here's one that's kind of a summary. If you have a favorite place to eat on the road, you can Search for that restaurant's name and see whats's been posted about. If nothing, just post a question about it - maybe somebody will know.

I've found that Pizza Hut is a good lunch choice - I get a Personal Pan Pizza with mushrooms and onions and no cheese. Every town has a Pizza Hut. If you prefer another chain, here's a wonderful post about pizza.

Most of the chains like Pizza Hut, Applebee's, Chili's, Ouback, and so on have Websites where you can look up locations. Unfortunately, most of them don't have maps (like the ones you can get from Cracker Barrel where there seems to be absolutely nothing safe to eat), so you need to know a town name or zip code, but if you have some rough idea where you'll be every day for lunch, you can look up restaurants in the vicinity. This is what I did for our last trip to Alabama. It was a pain in the neck to get it done, but it sure came in handy.

I do bring those little applesauce cups, pretzels, and herbal tea bags with me - you can almost always find hot water at a gas station mini-mart. You'll probably have to pay for it, but it's worth it when my tummy is burbling. I eat the applesauce first thing in the morning with some acacia to cushion my tummy for whatever is for breakfast - we stay at Hampton Inns mostly and I can always get a bagel for breakfast. (If you take an ice chest with you, put some IBS-safe margarine in it.) The pretzels keep me from getting too hungry in between meals. Oh, and lots of bottled water. And pack your Imodium. And don't forget spoons for the applesauce.

Okay, I'm done. Enjoy your trip.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: You can Search to find places to eat out while you're on the road (m) new
      #240668 - 01/22/06 07:55 PM
T~N~T

That helps so much. Thank you! I guess you never know until you try.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

#240678 - 01/22/06 09:16 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Hey there. Don't get too down. You'll make it through. I'd recommend Immodium (the generic kind) which has worked almost as well as my drugs. Good luck.

Re: Welcome! Fennel will not cause diarrhea... new
      #247184 - 02/19/06 04:29 AM
Daveboyblue

Reged: 06/08/04

On the chart for IBS treatments by sympton on this website fennel tea is recommended for contispation and not diarrhea.
Reading about Heathers fennel tea it states its useful for diarrhea so I am confused.
I love fennel tea it taste great I could drink it all day every day,peppermint and ginger sometimes give me upper GI problems so is fennel really safe to drink because I want to drink lots of it.

Edited by Daveboyblue (02/19/06 04:38 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 766 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6082

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review