All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
are soy and rice milk good souluble fibers - Heather, would you answer if possible also anyone else,
      #23887 - 10/19/03 11:46 AM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Hi - I'm confused about soy and rice milk. Are they considered soluble fibers -- good to start a meal with to make it safe? --- good to use during a setback when needing safe foods? --- This question is important to me because the little cartons are so handy and keep well, they would be good for my college daughter to carry with her and to have in her room. Thank You !!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: are soy and rice milk good souluble fibers - Heather, would you answer if possible also anyone else, new
      #23912 - 10/19/03 06:13 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

OK, Barb, I'll give this one a try. It's true that soy milk is considered a soluble fibre and is very safe to eat. I love the idea of the handy size cartons for your daughter - they're great. It's fabulous for her to be able to take one with her during the day.
This is just a personal opinion, but I wouldn't necessarily use is as a single soluble fibre base for a meal. There's no reason why not - I mean I can drink it on an empty stomach and often do, but when I'm eating a meal with vegetables, etc. I like to start with a "solid" food soluble fibre - like a white bun or some rice or a baked potato. It's just a personal thing. Let your daughter try and see what works best. She may be able to use the soy milk as her base for all meals, but I would encourage her to carry a bun or a few slices of bread or some crackers with her - both for snacks and as a base for meals.
I posted under one of your other posts about things to send your daughter.
Here's a few more:
bananas
Rice krispy squares
Soy puddings (LOVE them! - you'd swear they were made with real milk they taste so good)
I hope your daughter is doing better.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: are soy and rice milk good souluble fibers - Heather, would you answer if possible also anyone else, new
      #23921 - 10/19/03 07:10 PM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Thank you so much, Hans -- that makes alot of sense and she can experiment with it. And thanks for all the other good suggestions, too.... She emailed us today that she is continuing to feel much much better, is she ever hopeful and relieved, and we are too !! - 4 days on the fiber caps and doing the diet even without any extra stuff that's coming in the mail this week !! She even went to Portland yesterday with some of her new friends and had fun and felt good the whole time and afterwards and was able to find rice and chicken to eat, without a big deal. I can't tell you how many times over the last 8 months she's tried going out with friends and carefully eaten something (not really knowing what would throw her "off" and what wouldn't) and felt horrible for days and so discouraged and depressed about it. She really has been at her rope's end with it these last few weeks as the C had kicked up really badly, in addition to the "mystery" food sensitivities and being away at school and all -- this website is like a miracle for us. Thanks to all of you nice people and a special thanks to Heather.

#23924 - 10/19/03 07:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Barb - most soy and rice milks don't have much, if any soluble fiber. They're too strained and thinned, so the solids (of the soy beans and the rice, both of which are great sources of soluble fiber) have been removed. The drinks are fine on an empty stomach, but they won't give the soluble fiber buffer you'd need before or with a meal.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: soy and rice milk good soluble fibers? new
      #23925 - 10/19/03 07:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Barb - most soy and rice milks don't have much, if any soluble fiber. They're too strained and thinned, so the solids (of the soy beans and the rice, both of which are great sources of soluble fiber) have been removed. The drinks are fine on an empty stomach, but they won't give the soluble fiber buffer you'd need before or with a meal.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Barb & ALL: site showing State Location of Stores Re: soy and rice milk new
      #23952 - 10/19/03 11:25 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Hi Barb and all,

Just found this site fr. the makers of Rice Dream products. They also make soy products. It's www.imaginefoods.com and has a store locator for each State, so that your daughter can pick up some items herself that she'd like and are safe. Probably can find some new snacks. I hope so!!!

It also has some great soy/rice recipes. More info there, but I didn't look any further. I know that they also make soy Cr. of Mushroom and cr. of broccoli soup that she could keep in her dorm.

I've been doing the soluble fiber thing......eating some bread lst and it REALLY helps!

Sure hope your daughter keeps doing well. Let us know.

Marnie

Re: Barb & ALL: Also, some snacks that members say are safe new
      #23953 - 10/19/03 11:47 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Hi Barb,

Found some posts on snacks:
Quakes mini rice cakes, crispier than reg. rice cakes, (caramel & apple cinnamon) from another college gal Kree.

Mags 3 says apple cinamon w/sm. amt. of lo fat p. butter

FF saltines, Trader Joe's chip.cracker is a Pita chip (baked pita bread), great for dips, salsa, quacamole.

Lot Fat Ritz & lo fat Wheat Thins

Rite Lite Rounds fr. Barbara's Bakery (taste like Ritz)

Heather likes melba toast (esp. garlic flavor), & rye krisps
Health Valley lo fat (bruschetta, vegetable, garden herb, etc. at Health Food Stores

She could also have a box of rice krispies. I like these to fill my tummy.

AND........how abt. making her some rice krispy treats!!!!!!

Hope this helps w/some ideas.

GOTTA GO HAVE MY SMOOTHIE!!!!!!! Think I'm permanently attached to this computer....LOL!

Marnie

Just remembered. I hear Burger King, MacDonalds & Wendy's have a ...I guess it's grilled chicken sandwich that's safe! Hear Denny's w/make an egg white omelet. Am quite certain you could get the chicken sand or turkey at Perkins/Denny's too.

Expect to be traveling soon too and am checking into snacks & where to eat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1897 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 936

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review