All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
snacks
      #2382 - 03/10/03 03:14 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

HEATHER; Is it necessary to have the snacks on the diet all the time because I don't always feel like having them, and I am concerned that they might add pounds on rather than taking pounds off?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: snacks new
      #2385 - 03/10/03 03:30 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I think the idea of the snacks is to make sure your tummy never gets completely empty as that is when it becomes sensitive.

I know what you mean, sometimes I don't feel hungry either but if that's the case I either have something really small like a handful of pretzels or baked corn chips, couple of rice crackers etc. Or even a SF supplement instead.

These types of snacks are virtually fat free and if you are only eatinf small portions for main meals I don't think it would make much difference.

See what Heather thinks though.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#2386 - 03/10/03 03:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Kerrie said it perfectly!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: snacks - am I the only one??? new
      #2394 - 03/10/03 04:05 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hey you guys - how come you don't get hungry? I don't know what that's like. I'm always hungry...that's part of my weight problem. I love to eat. Yes, and I love to eat the wrong stuff, too. But, after being on WW and the IBS "plan", I can dole out my snacks so that they don't add weight.

For instance, I made a loaf of garlic rye bread today (we're having company AGAIN for dinner) and I wanted to taste it--not because I was hungry, but because I wanted to eat some of it. So, I cut the top off (about 1/2" slice and ate it). The top of a loaf is my favorite part and I don't let anybody else eat it either! And it was good, too. First time I made this recipe. It was a Portuguese loaf (very short in height!)
I'm so jealous of people who don't get hungry. GRRRRRRR!!!

Sharon The Hungry

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: snacks - am I the only one??? new
      #2396 - 03/10/03 04:18 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Sharon - Don't feel bad. I tend to graze throughout the day. But, it's all scheduled safe grazing (usually ), so I don't think it's that bad.

Is the top of the loaf the ends? If so, I have dibs on those in my house too! Luckily, my boyfriend doesn't like them (and it's just the 2 of us, so there's no other competition!) so I get them every time.

Mags

Re: snacks - am I the only one??? No you are not new
      #2402 - 03/10/03 05:49 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Don't feel bad Sharon, like you, I am always hungry. People always joke and say I need to eat more, but that's all I do. I think it's the food choices I make, which are almost always healthy. Even my desserts are as healthy as I can possibly make them or I won't eat them. I find that breakfast and after breakfast I am the hungriest, but since starting the IBS diet after lunch is no longer a problem. I have also learned to eat a little more for breakfast to help get me through the day. I also always carry around a 1/2 cup of rice and corn chex mixed up for some good SF.

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

#2407 - 03/10/03 06:01 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I have found that by having healthy SF snacks that I am losing weight, as before I would eat junk!!! Plus with the water intake my weight is going for the better!!!

Re: snacks - Sheri & Mags - we're one of a kind... new
      #2414 - 03/10/03 07:34 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Sheri and Mags - thanks for making me feel not so alone. Yes, grazing is part of my life and I guess it always will be. I always have safe foods around--in the freezer (3 kinds of WW/ibs safe cakes) and always cooked rice in the fridge. I have apples in the fridge that I peel before I eat and if I eat half cup of rice before I eat grapes, they don't bother me at that time. But how do I know if they cause gas hours later? It seems to me that I should be able to figure my IBS out since I'm so good at puzzles?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Sheri, Mags and Sharon -enjoy the hunger! new
      #2418 - 03/10/03 09:42 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I'm almost green with envy guys.

When I'm having a bad day I practically have to force feed myself as a hugely swollen and bloated stomach does not make me feel like eating at all!

I do remember the days before IBS when I had a normal appetite and would happily put on a few pounds if I could have it back!

Don't feel wierd at all - I think you're blessed. Two sides to every coin I guess.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#2551 - 03/12/03 12:34 AM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

Quote:

I have found that by having healthy SF snacks that I am losing weight, as before I would eat junk!!! Plus with the water intake my weight is going for the better!!!

Same here!!! It's only the 2nd week here, but so far so good! I'm learning to much from Heather's books and from you all! When I'm in the mood for a snack, I look at all my snack options. Sometimes, I'm not in the mood for any of them, but then I think, which one is the best? Which would I rather eat? And usually, the one I pick hits the spot! I just keep it all in the day. I only worry about what I'm eating TODAY and not tomorrow. I've learned how to take things one day at a time in other aspects of my life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2153

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review