All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Triggers?
      #2314 - 03/10/03 02:48 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

What are the most common trigger foods for ibs-d? When I"ve spoken to people about it, they recommend doing an elimination type thing to figure out, but I was wondering, are there any usual 'common' trigger foods?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Triggers? new
      #2319 - 03/10/03 05:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I am a classic IBS-D and my worst trigger is dairy. (I'm also Lactose intolerant too, so that may be a contributing factor). I think that all IBSers are different, and you will sort of have to muddle your way through. Coffee is also brutal for me, popcorn is a never again in my life, and anything with really high fats. I have a lot of trouble eating fruit. On the flip side, I can often tolerate small amounts of egg yolk if it's cooked in something, the odd SMALL piece of steak, and sometimes a piece of chocolate after a meal.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#2331 - 03/10/03 07:37 AM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I am new to this board, but have similar occurances with foods as you do. I am also in Ontario, and would love to talk to someone in Canada.

#2337 - 03/10/03 08:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

Hey! We live like only an hour away! When I first got married, I lived in Dundas - and I loved going to Burlington for shopping. Now I live SE of London. Post any questions you like. It's nice to have another Canadian on board. Cool!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#2348 - 03/10/03 11:16 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I found also that popcorn, coffee, and eggs are bad for me. Another thing I've had twice which has triggered a d attack - one was the worst I have ever had, believe me, that's a story! - was mushroom soup. I can eat whole or sliced mushies but it must be something about the small bits.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#2349 - 03/10/03 11:25 AM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

Sarah - was it cream of mushroom soup or just with broth?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Lists of trigger foods new
      #2354 - 03/10/03 11:33 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm going to send you to two very detailed info pages listing trigger and safe foods for IBS. The sites also explain WHY foods are triggers. First site is Eating for IBS. Second site is Food - Friend or Foe?

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2363 - 03/10/03 12:41 PM
britsarah

It was cream, but in a restaurant rather than canned so I thought it would be less creamy. I guess it might be the cream, but I'm usually ok with small bowls of cream of tomato
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Re: cream soups new
      #2367 - 03/10/03 12:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It probably was the cream, which is not just a dairy trigger but also so high in fat. Interestingly, cream of mushroom soups are always dairy-based (unless you make them yourself) but cream of tomato soups are sometimes just pureed until creamy, and don't actually have any cream in them. This will vary with different recipes and restaurants, but in a lot of situations a cream of tomato soup will be much more IBS safe than a cream of mushroom.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: cream soups new
      #2371 - 03/10/03 01:29 PM
britsarah

Heather,
Thanks ! It's amazing what you can find out on these boards, it might be worth trying mushroom soup again, homemade at least
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1694 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4713

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review