All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Triggers?
      #2314 - 03/10/03 02:48 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

What are the most common trigger foods for ibs-d? When I"ve spoken to people about it, they recommend doing an elimination type thing to figure out, but I was wondering, are there any usual 'common' trigger foods?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Triggers? new
      #2319 - 03/10/03 05:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I am a classic IBS-D and my worst trigger is dairy. (I'm also Lactose intolerant too, so that may be a contributing factor). I think that all IBSers are different, and you will sort of have to muddle your way through. Coffee is also brutal for me, popcorn is a never again in my life, and anything with really high fats. I have a lot of trouble eating fruit. On the flip side, I can often tolerate small amounts of egg yolk if it's cooked in something, the odd SMALL piece of steak, and sometimes a piece of chocolate after a meal.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#2331 - 03/10/03 07:37 AM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I am new to this board, but have similar occurances with foods as you do. I am also in Ontario, and would love to talk to someone in Canada.

#2337 - 03/10/03 08:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

Hey! We live like only an hour away! When I first got married, I lived in Dundas - and I loved going to Burlington for shopping. Now I live SE of London. Post any questions you like. It's nice to have another Canadian on board. Cool!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#2348 - 03/10/03 11:16 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I found also that popcorn, coffee, and eggs are bad for me. Another thing I've had twice which has triggered a d attack - one was the worst I have ever had, believe me, that's a story! - was mushroom soup. I can eat whole or sliced mushies but it must be something about the small bits.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#2349 - 03/10/03 11:25 AM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

Sarah - was it cream of mushroom soup or just with broth?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Lists of trigger foods new
      #2354 - 03/10/03 11:33 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm going to send you to two very detailed info pages listing trigger and safe foods for IBS. The sites also explain WHY foods are triggers. First site is Eating for IBS. Second site is Food - Friend or Foe?

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2363 - 03/10/03 12:41 PM
britsarah

It was cream, but in a restaurant rather than canned so I thought it would be less creamy. I guess it might be the cream, but I'm usually ok with small bowls of cream of tomato
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Re: cream soups new
      #2367 - 03/10/03 12:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

It probably was the cream, which is not just a dairy trigger but also so high in fat. Interestingly, cream of mushroom soups are always dairy-based (unless you make them yourself) but cream of tomato soups are sometimes just pureed until creamy, and don't actually have any cream in them. This will vary with different recipes and restaurants, but in a lot of situations a cream of tomato soup will be much more IBS safe than a cream of mushroom.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: cream soups new
      #2371 - 03/10/03 01:29 PM
britsarah

Heather,
Thanks ! It's amazing what you can find out on these boards, it might be worth trying mushroom soup again, homemade at least
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

#2404 - 03/10/03 05:55 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

How long have you had IBS? I was fine until my daughter turned 6 months and now she will be 3 in June.

#2408 - 03/10/03 06:02 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Hey, mine started just a little before you. My started within three months after I had my youngest daughter, she just turned three yesturday. Strange is it not? Do you think your IBS started becuase you had a baby?

#2419 - 03/10/03 09:43 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Mine started after the birth of my son too!

He was 11 months. I think we may be onto something here.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Lists of trigger foods new
      #2432 - 03/11/03 04:18 AM
tlc

Heather you are an angel!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!! For once, someone can shed some light on it for me and come up with some conclusive answers. Thank you Thank you!!!

#2433 - 03/11/03 04:19 AM
tlc

I can't manage dairy either - milk, yoghurt eggs etc. I can manage meat, though not pork. I can't handle eggs at all or caffine. These are pretty much the only things I've figured out so far.

#2434 - 03/11/03 04:20 AM
tlc

I haven't had the probs with popcorn or mushrooms, but do with snow peas and some salads. Also, I think orange juice is a no go for me.

#2440 - 03/11/03 06:48 AM
torbetta

I know it is wishful thinking but I keep hoping the next pregnancy will take it away. Well, here's hoping right?

You're welcome! That's what we're here for! new
      #2452 - 03/11/03 11:10 AM
HeatherAdministrator

The boards are for support and comfy shoulders, but for good hard information too.

Please keep us posted on how things go for you.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Re: Torbetta - I am so hoping the same thing! -nt- new
      #2470 - 03/11/03 01:49 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: You're welcome! That's what we're here for! new
      #2556 - 03/12/03 03:07 AM
tlc

I really appreciate the tone of this board - I feel people are so friendly, eager to help and support one another. It's fantastic

#2619 - 03/12/03 01:22 PM
torbetta

I was just thinking about when my IBS started and I think it was more like within two or three weeks after my daughter's birth. I had a really bad labor with her. My first was a breeze. During labor, her head was against my spine, which first staled labor. Since my water broke I had to deliver within 24 hours. They gave my pitocin and so I had constant back labor for about 7 hours and I wasn't dilating. Her heart rate kept going down so they couldn't give me pain medicine. They finally gave me some Nubian, which helped a little. I was going to have to have an emergency c-section if I hadn't dilated. I was at seven so he decided to "help" me stretch to 10. Took a little to long so now not only do I have this IBS but also because he was pushing my leg so far back for over and hour I still have pain in my hip. The doctors have all said it wasn't because of the labor but I can't help thinking it was, along with the stress of a toddler and a colicky baby at the time. She is happy now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3502 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review