All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Are we sabotagizing ourselves?
      #231181 - 12/13/05 07:53 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I just read the an article in the Nov. issue of Prevention Magazine. It talked about a new study that helps narrow down the commonplace culprits that induce IBS episodes.

Researchers at St. George's Hospital in London analyzed blood samples taken from 108 IBS patients and 43 helathy folks to check for reactions to 16 foods-including nuts, meat, dairy, and grains. IBS patients had higher levels of antibody produced from allergic reactions after eating wheat, beef, port, and lamb. Surprisingly, diary products - a group usually linked to IBS-caused no problems.

It went on to say that if you have IBS, you should try cutting back on meat and wheat.

Okay, so how can we knowingly eat wheat breads and products knowing that the test shows that it causes higher levels of antibody in IBS folks? Seriously, this greatly concerns me. It doesn't talk about celiac or gluten intolerance....it says it hurts people with IBS without these other conditions.

I am scared to eat any wheat products now. How can I eat them when the study clearly shows that there are antibodies for wheat?

Help??? Has anyone without GI tried to eliminate wheat and has it helped? For those who do eat wheat, how can you justify it knowing the results? Seriously, I am really confused. I am not stable....and how can I eat wheat now that I know it has been shown to cause problems? UGH...I didn't want to have to give up wheat...all Heather's breads. But, how can I ignore the facts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are we sabotagizing ourselves? new
      #231187 - 12/13/05 08:18 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Cyndy. There was a discussion about this, in June I think, when Heather referenced the study in her newsletter. Here's a link: Research Re: Wheat

Here's a link to that study: IBS Sufferers Hypersensitive to Common Foods

I don't think you should change your diet, based on what was discussed back in June (not enough info, small group that was studied). However, I don't know if you could have blood samples analyzed for these antibodies.

It's been a while since I've read Prevention Magazine, but I remember finding the way in which they reported or summarized studies to be fragmented. There's a really good summary and explanation of the study at Medicinet (there's a link within the first lilnk I gave you).

I hope this helps! It's the same study, right? Like you, this is one area I'd like more information, more research on!

No, but you should check anyway! new
      #231189 - 12/13/05 08:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Excluding gluten or wheat intolerance is supposed to be part of the IBS diagnosis but not alot of people do it. I did a 6 week exclusion diet and then reintroduced it. The only effect it had was that I got cranky cos I couldn't have all my favourite foods.

Do check. Food intolerances are supposed to be excluded when you are first diagnosed!

And btw, I KNOW dairy causes me all sorts of problems.

So I'm just going to ignore that one.

Re: No, but you should check anyway! new
      #231191 - 12/13/05 08:32 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I agree with Linz, I've been checked for celiac, plus I tried to eat gluten and wheat free for two weeks and stopped because I had one of the worst D attacks of my life! Also, dairy is a huge trigger for me, I know.

IBS is a complicated disorder, we all know that. What may be true for one small subgroup, may not be true for another.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#231222 - 12/13/05 10:11 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

As a person with IBS-d, more often than not when i'm having my attacks the only thing my stomach can handle is white bread toast, or kaiser buns and such. Wheat products have not caused me any issues ever, although dairy is something that I truely cannot have durring certain times, & I gotta say, I miss my rolo ice cream...

Re: I'm fine with it....... new
      #231237 - 12/13/05 10:50 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

My IBS is pretty bad, but I can eat cream of wheat all day long and it doesn't bother me. I digest cream of wheat better than oatmeal.

But, the doctor told me that I DID NOT test positive for Ceilac, either. So, I guess I'm fine with wheat. I don't seem to have a problem with it.

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Precisely / me three new
      #231238 - 12/13/05 10:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I justify eating wheat just fine, because I've tried not eating it in the past, and it didn't make a difference one way or the other. Dairy, on the other hand, KILLS me.

This is why I don't read news articles, health studies, etc. I know what works for me, and I'm sticking with it, no matter what the so-called "experts" say.

Re: Precisely / me Four!! new
      #231240 - 12/13/05 11:01 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I had a major attack yesterday after eating just a tiiiiny bit of country crock butter on my bagel (I made a post about it). So, I know that wheat is not a trigger for me but dairy most certainly is!!

I found some Tofutti cream cheese last night at the grocery store so I don't have to torture myself by eating plain, dried out bagels anymore while I watch my husband gorge himself in the cream cheese!!! Now, I get to, too!!! Whooo Hoooo!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#231248 - 12/13/05 11:22 AM
sgebhardt

Reged: 08/19/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I think that everyone is different. I have cut back on wheat before and even still dairy has always made me ill. I can milk in the late evening and it sits ok but not any other time of the day. But just to be safe, I have cut out dairy completely. No more milk! I learned my lesson the hard way a few days ago. Last time!

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

Re: I'm fine with it....... new
      #231364 - 12/13/05 04:45 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Has anyone tried sprouted bread? It's supposed to be healthier for you,and I think more bio-available.

#231387 - 12/13/05 06:27 PM
dmdentre

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: New England

Please know that this was ONE study. Only one study with only 108 people in it. This should not be correlated to everyone. We are all different and need to do what is best for us. If you are concerned about have antibodies to wheat, you should get yourself tested (you can go to York Labs online to find the tests). Eliminating wheat altogether is something you should really do with a dietician if you want to try it. Good luck.
Danielle

#231393 - 12/13/05 06:51 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I remember that study. But when you look at it ... I dunno, 108 people out of how many millions of people with IBS? Meaningless in my book. I bet you could also find 108 people with IBS who also have tons of nasal hair, but that doesn't mean that IBS causes excessive nose hair.

you say "how can I ignore the facts" ... it is not a fact that wheat is bad for IBS. What you CAN ignore is a very vague article about a study with a small sample size. It's not worth the stress. And if you really think wheat might be making you worse, then cut it out. It won't kill you, and if it makes you feel better mentally to know you're avoiding something that might be making you worse, well, no harm in that.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

I wish they would look into this further too new
      #231461 - 12/14/05 07:16 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If wheat is an issue, then many people will not have a chance of getting better.

I personally am now afraid to eat any type of wheat product, just in case.

I did go on a totally GF diet after having tested high for gluten antibodies 3 times, but the diet only turned me from chronic D to chronic C....all the other symptoms (pain, gas, bloat, spasms) were just as bad. And the C is more painful than the D for me, personally.

The doctors cannot agree on if wheat and gluten is a problem for me. One tells me to eat it and one tells me I cannot eat it.

I know this study was based on a small group of people, but still, it showed the antibodies for wheat were present. For those who are not finding relief, do we want to take the chance of eating it? I just don't know and I am very stressed and conflicted about this. It was interested to read everyone's viewpoints, but I am super cautious and if I read anything negative about a food, I become fearful of it. If I were stable, I would be much more willing to eat it to test it. But when you aren't stable...or anywhere near feeling better, it's hard to take any chance at all with any possible problem food.

How do I lose this fear? Or should I be cautious and abstain since I am so sick still?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#231463 - 12/14/05 07:24 AM
sgebhardt

I don't know. I'd rather follow the IBS diet Heather has laid out and ease some of the suffering than tough it out. The way I look at it is this: do you want give up some foods to ease the pain now or tough it out for God knows how long? Could take years before it would clear up if it does. I'd rather not take the chance. I'm fine with giving up some foods. Now I'm just a newbie and still trying to pass on the tempations but I know I'll get there someday. The foods I have to give up just add more pounds to the hips anyways.

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

But this diet does not give up wheat products new
      #231464 - 12/14/05 07:27 AM
Cyndy

I don't get the dairy thing though. I agree, we should give up foods that make us suffer...but wheat may be one of them. Is wheat one of the foods you are giving up?

Re: But this diet does not give up wheat products new
      #231465 - 12/14/05 07:31 AM
sgebhardt

I try not to eat insane amounts of it, but I haven't given it up. It doesn't bother my tummy. There are some days where I can't eat anything; on those days it bothers me. But on my good days its fine. I do find that if I have eaten too much wheat in one day then yes, it tends to upset my tummy a little. But if I keep it to a lower level, then I'm fine. I usually make my own bread too so that way I know what's in it and that way I can keep it lower in fat too. But if excluding wheat helps you then why not give it a try? Do what works for you, right?

--------------------
Cheers!

Sher
IBS-A

Beth, you gave it a good try! new
      #231475 - 12/14/05 08:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I don't think you need to worry about this. You gave gf a very VERY good try and it didn't help at all. So don't stress about it.

#231549 - 12/14/05 12:30 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Today seems to be my day not to understand stuff. I'm not sure what you mean when you ask "For those who do eat wheat, how can you justify it knowing the results?" I eat wheat and I'm stable, so the results from the study don't really mean anything to me - and wouldn't even if they'd done the test on 108 million IBSers rather than 108. (The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so to speak. ) On the other hand, if I'd tried Heather's diet and hadn't gotten stable, I would have gone on to try other things and I imagine a strict elimination diet under medical supervision would have been one of those things.

I think Heather's great - she definitely saved my quality of life and she may have saved my life. Nonetheless, given that her guidelines work for some and not for others, I think her diet has to be considered a starting point, one possible path. If it's not working for you, then I think food elimination is a good thing to try and I agree with the poster who said the best course would be to do it with professional help.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#231680 - 12/14/05 06:34 PM
Cyndy

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask "For those who do eat wheat, how can you justify it knowing the results?"

I meant, how can we (I) allow myself to eat wheat, now that the study has shown that IBS folks have antibodies to it. How do you get passed the fear, knowing the results?

Isn't there always a chance things could be better if we abstain from wheat? I don't know...I'm just really scared of wheat now. No matter how small the study.

I can't afford a dietician to help me with the elimination diet. It would be ideal though.

Please don't let this study run your lives... new
      #231921 - 12/15/05 05:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it was small scale, and not all of the IBS patients showed antibodies to the foods tested. Also, there's nothing to indicate that people were screened for celiac before being allowed to participate in the study. Finally, the study actually notes that the presence of antibodies to the foods did not actually correlate with an increase in IBS symptoms.

So - trust yourself and your own body's reactions, not this single study.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#232038 - 12/16/05 09:44 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

The good thing about this is that there's really no need to guess. Why not talk to your doctor about getting a celiac panel blood test?? I think everyone with IBS symptoms should have this done anyway to rule out gluten intolerance. I thought I had IBS ( I think I still might) for about 2 months before seeing a doctor that tested me for those antibodies. Turns out, some of them were elevated. Whether that's due to celiac or IBS I don't know, but I've been gluten-free for 3 weeks now, and while I don't feel 100% better, some of my symptoms have improved significantly. But if you were to get this test, and no antibodies are elevated, then it is safe to assume that you can tolerate wheat. If you have health insurance and a doctor who will order these tests for you, I think you should.

--------------------
Kim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3239

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review