All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Wonderbread vs. french/sourdough?
      #22976 - 10/09/03 04:04 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Hello, I just joined I was reading the site, and saw that it said to eat sourdough or french bread, but not wonderbread. Why is that? I usually just get plain white bread or wonderbread, since wheat bread bothers my stomach. So are those other kinds better then plain white bread? How?

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wonderbread vs. french/sourdough? new
      #22981 - 10/09/03 05:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - what you want is any fresh baked non whole-wheat bread. The ingredients should simply be wheat flour (NOT whole wheat flour), water, salt, and yeast. WonderBread has a lot of preservatives, additives, etc. in it and people with IBS tend to be sensitive to artificial ingredients like this.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#22996 - 10/09/03 09:20 PM
fishnets

Thanks! So this would exclude most grocery store breads? Do they sell bread that has just those ingrediants, or just have to make your own?

--------------------
IBS-C

#22998 - 10/09/03 09:50 PM
Laylo

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Wonderbread has no nutritional value whatsoever. It is so refined that your body cannot utilize it.

A lot of major grocery stores have bakeries these days. You should check out that section of the store and read the labels. Look for a bread that has all natural ingredients that you can understand.

I recommend finding a natural foods store. Organic foods and unrefined (or minimally refined) foods will feed your cells and help heal your immune and digestive systems. If you get into a habit of shopping at a natural foods store, you will have no choice but to eat healthier.

Re: Wonderbread vs. french/sourdough? (WHAT ABOUT THE ENGLISH MUFFINS?) new
      #23031 - 10/10/03 09:25 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

So are the wonder brand english muffins also not a good choice? If so what brand do you recommend?

Thanks!
Steph

--------------------

#23055 - 10/10/03 12:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I'd read the ingredients. Things you don't recognize as ingredients in your own kitchen, or names you can't pronounce, or anything labeled an additive, preservative, or artificial, means you shouldn't eat it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#23104 - 10/11/03 07:43 AM
fishnets

Thanks, I'll have to look for more natural bread next time I go food shopping

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Wonderbread vs. french/sourdough? and question for heather new
      #23108 - 10/11/03 08:52 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I am fortunate to have in town a wonderful bakery that makes fresh white big round loaves every day but Sunday! If you have one near you-try it out! I can tolerate their wheat bread (in limited quantities) could it be Heather because it is so natural??? Mary

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Re: Wonderbread vs. french/sourdough? and question for heather new
      #23117 - 10/11/03 01:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Mary - Some people have an easier time with whole wheat bread than others. Almost all whole wheat breads will actually have more white flour than whole wheat in them. If you make bread with just whole wheat flour, you get a very heavy, dense loaf. So any light and fluffy whole wheat bread you see likely has a fairly small amount of whole wheat. That can be pretty tolerable for a lot of IBS folks - and if it is for you, then this is a great way to get some whole grains safely into your diet.

- Heather

--------------------

#23238 - 10/13/03 10:43 AM
fishnets

Hmmm...I looked in the bakery section, and the breads they had also had preservatives/ingrediants I couldn't pronounce! Oh well. My search goes on.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 485 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2749

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review