All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Babies and Colic and Fennel and Anise Seeds HELP!
      #22695 - 10/07/03 12:03 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

web page Okay, all breastfeeding Moms, this may be one more use for /heather's fennel tea. I came across thhis website saying it is good for boostibg milk supply AND for easing colic. I am desperate for a colic aid ... tried gripe water, ovol drops. I'm going to try this and I'll let you all know how it goes. Anyone else have firsthand experience with this? My neighbour made Anise tea by boiling a tsp of anise seeds in a cup of water and feeding her babies 1/2 to 1 teaspoon 3 times a day. She said it was wonderful for colic.
I think I'm going to try me drinking it first.
Any other suggestions?
The crying is getting to me... it's a good thing she's our 2nd child... we might not have had another if she was the first! Love her to bits but I just wish I could do something to ease her discomfort. One thing about us with IBS .. we sure can relate to gas pain.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Edited by HanSolo (10/07/03 12:05 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Babies and Colic and Fennel and Anise Seeds HELP! new
      #22697 - 10/07/03 12:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey, this is really neat! I have read that when moms eat fennel it increases their milk supply (supposedly oatmeal and fenugreek will also do this) but I didn't think of the benefits to the baby too. It makes sense that the fennel would help, because other spices/foods get transferred through the milk and affect the babes. Garlic in the milk increases the amount babies will drink...alcohol decreases the amount they'll drink.

Let us know how this works!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#22698 - 10/07/03 12:10 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Yeah, I've had a theory about this all along - they always say what you eat goes into the breast milk so to avoid gassy foods, etc. and so why shouldn't it go the other way? If I'm drinking fennel tea /anise /peppermint whatever, why shouldn't it help????
I'm going to brew a cup right now .....

--------------------

Edited by HanSolo (10/07/03 12:12 PM)

#22721 - 10/07/03 02:53 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Han! I remember when my sister was born she had colic, and my mom would turn on the vacuum and she'd fall right asleep! It was kind of neat. Anyway, my mom ended up recording the vacuum and playing that to help her, so she didn't burn out the vacuum motor! LOL

Didn't know if you'd ever heard of this or tried it, but I thought I'd throw it out there for ya! Good luck!

#22757 - 10/07/03 08:23 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Thanks. Anything to help ... and maybe I could tackle some of the dust bunnies that are threatening to take over my house ...

--------------------

#22878 - 10/08/03 07:44 PM
*Melissa*

LOL - that's right, I forgot you were just saying something about keeping house clean to Torbetta the other day and that it's hard for you to just let it go, right? Maybe this would help you kill two birds with one stone!

If you do try it and it works, let me know. It still fascinates me when I think of it how it worked on my sister.

Oh wait - here's another I JUST thought of now. I think my aunt used to take my cousin for a ride in the car and it worked too. This may not be as convenient (or satisfying! LOL) as a vacuum, but just so you know.

Re: She's doing better ... andhere's why the vac works ... new
      #22883 - 10/08/03 07:56 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

I drank the wretched fennel and anise tea. She was MUCH calmer the last 2 nights - almost no crying.
I got a book today on colic etc. and it basically says that babies are colicky because they miss the womb. So, running the vacuum is VERY similar to the sounds they would hear inside - blood pumping, stomach digesting, etc.
The car works because not only does it also have a "hum" (White noise), but the jiggling motion resembles what they would feel in a watery womb when Mom is walking and moving around.
So Go figure.
I wrapped her up snuggly tonight, jiggled and shhhhhed when she fussed, and pouf. Crying stopped.

--------------------

#22893 - 10/08/03 08:21 PM
*Melissa*

So, that's why that works - that's so neat! Thanks for the lesson. Glad to hear she is doing better also.

Haven't gotten used to the fennel tea yet? Did you see I posted somewhere the other day that I've been able to up my fennel in my peppermint tea? I think I've built up a tolerance. I still haven't tried it with the jasmine yet though.

#22969 - 10/09/03 03:28 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

You know none of the noise stuff helped with Meike. I still wonder sometimes how I survived. I did notice she liked to be warm so I would warm her bed with a snuggle log/heating pad before I put her to bed. She liked to be confined more. She also liked the swing and she liked it when I would hold her close, sway, bouncing and patting her tushy. That always put her to sleep. I was holding my friend's baby last week and I did that with her and she fell right to sleep. Does she like to be held? If she does, have you those baby carriers to take her with you while you have your hands free. Oh the things we will do to have some peace and quiet.

Found good info on fennel and colic... new
      #23199 - 10/12/03 03:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Check here web page

There's a link to a bibliography for the info, with clinical studies referenced.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2185

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review