All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Candy is Dandy (So why cant i have any)
      #2265 - 03/09/03 01:31 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

i havnt had any candy since i was 14 i can understand why i wouldnt be able to have chocolate bars (like reeses, god forbid) and hersheys choc. bars because of fat, nuts, milk,ect. but is there any candy i can have? like licorice for say. licorice doesnt have alot of artifical stuff in it, and for the main part, uses sucrose. and thers also gummy bears, jelly beans,lollipops ect. is there any kindof candy thats ibs safe? i eat cinnamon altoids... but thats it. any suggestions?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Candy is Dandy (So why cant i have any) new
      #2269 - 03/09/03 01:42 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

I have been thinking the same thing. Before I started the diet I was eating sugar free candy which of coarse is a big no, no, so stopped right away. I am also wondering for the occational candy sweet-tooth craving, what is okay in extreme moderation? Great question! Wish I had an answer for you.

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

#2283 - 03/09/03 04:27 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angela - does it have to be candy? How about those chocolate chewy cookies I made the other night? Boy, do they satisfy my chocolate addiction. But, every time I go to a store that has Hershey bars, I hear my name being called, but I don't buy them.

Does Mom let you make cookies? I bet your family would like any desserts you make (epecially if you can eat 'em too). She surely must have unsweetened cocoa powder and sugar and flour and applesauce? These are main ingredients in a lot of desserts. If you have anything particular in mind, post it and I'll see what I can find for you.

The sugar in the candies shouldn't be a prob, but it's the other ingredients you have to watch out for.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2284 - 03/09/03 04:30 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

thanks sharon!
yes, my parents do let me bake cookies and cupcakes, ect. im eager to make some brownies, but i have to wait to my parents go out because if i make them in their sight, they always ask me why i just cant eat the brownies that my mother makes (she uses like 3 eggs, and processed chocolate)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Candy is Dandy - I'm waiting for answers from ... new
      #2285 - 03/09/03 04:48 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angela - I just emailed two candy manufacturers (one makes gummi bears) for a list of ingredients so I can see what's in them. Or you could just buy them, but then if they have something in them that you can't eat, you'll be too tempted...so don't do it yet. I'll post if and when I get any answers.

The brownies (cookies) I made the other night had Karo syrup, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, flour, baking soda, and egg whites. If you want the recipe, it's on the Recipe Exchange or I can post it. You choose. They're called chewy-chocolate-cookies.
They're about 1-1/2" in dia (they're round) and I put them in a zip top bag in the freezer. I eat them right out of the freezer because they don't really freeze hard. They're grrrrrrreat (as Tony the Tiger says!)

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2297 - 03/09/03 05:53 PM
Shawna

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Middle of nowhere in the desert, Ca

I find that I do okay with sugar type candy that you don't eat, but just suck on, like blow pops, life savers, candy canes, mints, etc. I about killed myself one day eating skittles! UGH! Hope this helps!

--------------------
SLicK

#2299 - 03/09/03 06:11 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - Good news! Here's a quote from Eating for IBS: "Candy is typically a safe way to splurge on junk food--it's primarily (if not entirely) sugar, and while this is hardly a health food it is not a trigger for IBS. Just avoid solid chocolate, coconut, and nuts, and look for mints, cotton candy, gumdrops, jelly beans, hard candies, and other fat-free choices." It's under the "Can I still have fun at movies, parties, cookouts & amusement parks?" section, and it does say to eat a good meal right before the event, so I wouldn't eat it on a completely empty stomach.

Hope this helps!
Mags

#2309 - 03/09/03 10:10 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,

I am fine with jelly babies, snakes, etc - any jelly candies. I still only eat them after a good meal or snack based on SF though.

Angela - I'm pretty sure that Hetaher has said Licorice can cause problems for people with IBS-D.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: licorice new
      #2352 - 03/10/03 11:29 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Real licorice can have a laxative effect. Interestingly, real licorice is very rare and hard to come by in the US, though it's very popular in some European countries. You can check the ingredients in black licorice candies to see if there's any real licorice in there - if it's using anise instead that's safe.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3433 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2115

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review