Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Binge
      #225982 - 11/18/05 09:53 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey guys,

I am suffering very much right now, both physically and emotionally, from a huge binge last night. I was baking cookies for a class I'm T.A.ing (relatively safe...bananas instead of eggs, a little bit of canola oil...) and decided to eat some of the dough, plus a big gooey cookie and a glass of soymilk. I realize that this is not a lot of food for most people, but I was already full from dinner, and not hungry in the least, so the reasons behind why I ate are why I am classifying it as a binge.

I was so incredibly stuffed, it was difficult for me to fall asleep. I was also struggling emotionally, due to the fact that I am currently in recovery from anorexia. I ended up calling my mother and crying for about an hour while she tried to talk me through it.

I guess I'm just looking for some support, or some empathy...does anyone else ever do this? What do you do the morning after? All this happened at around 11:00 last night, and I can't bring myself to eat breakfast this morning...does anyone have any suggestions about how to recuperate?

Thanks for listening...I don't know what I would do without you guys.

Love and Blessings,

--------------------
Julia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Binge new
      #225983 - 11/18/05 10:10 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Well, have you ever considered overeaters anonymous. There are special meetings for anorexics and bulemics.

It might be worth a shot!

And you are not alone. I was anorexic for years and so were many other ladies on these boards...and we have overeaters here too! You can do a search and you will see how many of us arelike you in this way.

Do NOT feel bad for what you did. Just move on. We all make mistakes and we all need something to lean on. If you feel like eating, stop yourself and say "why am I eating this" and then write it down for a week. OR come here and post! Let us know what's going on with you so we can support you *hugs*

PLEASE remember you are NOT alone and we all love you

P.S. You might want to re-post this in the Living Room...where we lounge around and support one another and laught about stuff and ask advice on anything! This board is more for IBS diet stuff, just a thought

Sending lots of love and self-compassion your way!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#225998 - 11/18/05 10:49 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Hey, hang in there, recovering from an eating disorder is tough but you gotta remember that if you keep eating normal, over time your appetite/cravings will stabilize and it won't be as hard. I used to have anorexia and bulimia, so I know what it's like (actually my eating disorders caused my IBS). Just keep trying to eat healthy and normal, that's the best thing to do.

--------------------
IBS-C

#226119 - 11/18/05 05:28 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

There are quite a few people on this board who are in various stages of recovery from eating disorders (I'm a former bulimic/binge eater) so you'll find some support here. Another good place for support is the "something fishy" website. Don't know if I can post a link in here to another site, but here it is ...sorry if I'm not supposed to! www.somethingfishy.org
It has boards for just about anything and everything related to eating disorders. Check it out!

#226157 - 11/18/05 08:28 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm a recovered anorectic. I still have issues with satiety.

Honestly, I am not accustomed to being so satisfied! It's stressful, isn't it? Spontaneous eating (what you ate didn't sound like a binge to me, but rather spontaneous, unplanned eating)!

Truly, it's all a part of getting back into balance again.

It takes time. It requires gentleness. You are human, and well...it was one episode.

I confess, if I binge it is on CAFFEINE (i.e. caffeinated beverages), hard candy (yup, more than 3 pieces is just obscene to me!), and uh, veggies...and I pay the price for eating too many veggies in D or gas...ditto for the caffeine!

Truly, be kind to yourself. And NOT HAVING BREAKFAST is the worst thing you can do...it perpetuates the feast/famine mentalitiy and then you get into bulimia and the cycle never ends.

Anorectics set themselves up with impossible ideals, and go about a lethal self-abnegating pursuit of those goals. It takes time to make friends with food and trust yourself.

You can do it, Julia. Just HONOUR YOUR CRAVINGS in your diet.

It's so hard not to be a "nazi" in my own kitchen--but babysteps! Structure in treats and honour yourself with good old-fashioned healthy IBS-safe foods, too.

In honour of you, dear Julia, I had 3 marshmellows as a treat.

Surrender, Julia...it's not really about food. It's about power, control, perfectionism, spiritual identity.

Having breakfast is the most self-loving, respecting, affirmative thing you can do and it will help you avoid the feast/famine bulimic potential.

Kate.

#226183 - 11/19/05 08:18 AM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Wow, I'm going through the same thing. I too tend to "binge" like how you say and also am a recovered anorexic. If you need someone to talk to feel free to email me personally at jaworski1@cox.net

Jessica

#226217 - 11/19/05 12:00 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Thank you guys so much for your support...
I am feeling a bit better now, still struggling to release the guilt I've been holding onto since the binge and subsequent attack, but physically stronger, and mobile, at least. I have actually been to the SFWED website before, and even posted there...the connection between eating disorders and IBS is interesting, because it's hard to identify the link between the emotional and psychological issues, and the medical issues.
Again, thank you so much for your encouraging words and your kindness and understanding. It's easy to sometimes feel as though I'm the only one in the world who suffers from these conditions, and it helps to know that I'm not alone, and I'm not crazy!

Love and Blessings,

--------------------
Julia

Hey, that would be a great newsletter topic! new
      #226221 - 11/19/05 12:54 PM
Wind

Would IBS & Eating Disorder survivors be a newsletter topic of interest to anyone else? Apparently, there are quite a few IBS'ers who have survived Eating Disorders as the topic comes up frequently for discussion.

Kate.

Re: Hey, that would be a great newsletter topic! new
      #226226 - 11/19/05 01:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yep, it would, but I've had trouble addressing it because I can't find any studies to support a connection. Anecdotally, I'm sure there is one, and it makes sense since eating disorders could certainly cause an insult to the gut, which could lead to IBS. Or the fear and stress of eating that results from IBS could in turn lead to an eating disorder. I'd just love to have some hard facts on this first before I write about it....

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I agree & understand, completely new
      #226235 - 11/19/05 01:42 PM
Wind

It needs to be studied before comment & presentation in newsletter format is considered.

Kate.

I wonder if this is being studied anywhere?~nt~ new
      #226239 - 11/19/05 01:49 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#226303 - 11/20/05 06:02 AM

Unregistered

Thanks Ruchie - I was just about to post "do not forget the compulsive/emotional/over eaters in the ED.! I often feel that the general public, and maybe even the bulimic/anorexics do not appreciate the problems that overeaters have - I have heard many people (including my own mother) say "if you shouldn't eat then don't" - yeh!!
I am 53, have suffered with ibs.d for over 30 years, and having found this site just over a year ago have managed to get some stability and control over my ibs. Unfortunately however, I have just been diagnosed with diabetes now and I am not doing too well.
Judith

#226304 - 11/20/05 06:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Judith *hugs*

I am glad you are getting help...and please know my e-box is always open (e-mail in profile)...

Take care of yourself *more hugs* You are doing fantastic whether you see it right now or not!!

As for IBS and diabetes...do a search on this site...there's tons of info. on this subject as it has comeup a bunch of time before.

Sending even more hugs and a major CONGRATS for all your efforts and strides!

Love to you

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#226322 - 11/20/05 09:19 AM

Unregistered

Ruchie - thank you so much for your words of encouragement - I cannot tell you how much your words have uplifted me. I am also menopausal (almost 12 months now since last period) and my wonderful overweight body was already depositing more fat around my middle and now the diabetes has added its pennyworth (poundsworth more like)!!
I lost my job as a Medical Secretary due to ill-health (lower back problem) in February 1997 so am at home on my own all day and that doesn't help how I feel. I do have a lovely husband, 2 wonderful sons and 4 grandchildren and am well blessed for that I just struggle with my mortal body!!
Thanks again. Judith

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 745 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1844

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review