All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Other IBS books
      #2247 - 03/09/03 08:06 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I recently met a girl who also has IBS and she showed me a book that she had bought. I cannot remember the title, however it is a short book written by a doctor. One thing it does not emphasize is the difference between soluble and insoluble fibre....it only talks about fibre in general and that more is better, with sample meals that emphasize grains, whole wheat, bran, fruits, salads, etc. Thus she is eating meals with whole wheat bread, fruits (with the skin and without pureeing) and bran muffins. Why the difference in this book and Heathers?

I am going to give her my copy of Heathers book as I believe she should know the differences between insoluble and soluble fibre foods, but I can't understand why this book, written by a doctor, wouldn't have done so?

Confused...

Leanne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Other IBS books new
      #2263 - 03/09/03 01:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Leanne - For many years, the standard dietary advice given to people with IBS was "eat more fiber". No one bothered to distinguish between soluble/insoluble. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors (and even dietitians) are still giving that advice.

At this point, there are so many clinical studies pointing up that insoluble fiber (usually wheat bran) doesn't help, and can even hurt IBS, that I think it's pretty inexcusable for any health professional to still be giving that advice. There are also great studies directly comparing soluble and insoluble fiber on patients with IBS, and the results are dramatically different. Why all the gastroenterologists aren't following these studies, which are published in medical journals in their own field, is a mystery to me. You can find a good number of articles at pubmed.com - just do a search for "fiber and IBS" or something similar - the site is Pub Med.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

fruits and vegetables new
      #2266 - 03/09/03 01:32 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I thought fruits and vegetables were considered insoluble fiber. Is this right? I'm still trying to get all the foods sorted between insoluble and soluble fiber, and I have Heather's book and just started reading it.

Re: fruits and vegetables new
      #2268 - 03/09/03 01:37 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

leanne,
im sure other ppl will post and give you lots more info on fruits and veggie than me, but ill give it a shot:
veggies: most veggie have both insoluable and soluable fiber. usually the outer skin is insoluable and the inside is soluable. for instance, potato skins are insoluable fiber and the fleshy inside is soluable. same goes for peas. carrots are soluable, celery is insoluable. corn is insoluable.
fruit:seeds are insoluable, like strawberry seeds. bananas are soluable. pears and apples have insoluable skins but their fleshes are soluable. watch out with fruits, however because alot have soribital in them (which sends me to the loo in a flash) im not sure about tomatos though... i know their skin and seeds are insoluable, but im not sure about the flesh, bestter check with heather on that one

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: fruits and vegetables new
      #2625 - 03/12/03 03:04 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Thanks for the help guys!! Took me a long time to find the replies as this is the first time I checked out this message board in a couple days due to travelling from one side of Canada to the other!! I also ordered Heather's book on Saturday (i think) and just recieved it today, I am so impressed with the short time it took to get here in Canada, can't wait to read it.

cheers,
Leanne

Nice to meet you... new
      #2630 - 03/12/03 04:28 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I'm Leanne too! Its good to see somebody else spell our name the same way.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1805 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1134

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review