All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
leg cramps and muscle weakness
      #22171 - 10/01/03 04:10 AM
mamaraggi

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: Davie, Florida

Hi! I am having progressively worse leg cramps (the whole leg not just calves) and muscle weakness. Somedays just pushing the grocery cart is hard work. My gastro tells me to exercise but I haven't had the strength to do much. Also, there have been dizzy spells. My bathtub is broken or I would try a hot bath (sounds lovely!). Any suggestions? Is this a normal part of IBS? I don't remember reading about this fun feature. Which doc would I ask about this? Gastro? Endrocrinologist? Regular Doctor?
Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: leg cramps and muscle weakness new
      #22184 - 10/01/03 07:22 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi, have you had any blood work done to check for low iron or lack of B12? My husband was a little on the tired side so his Dr. check his B12 which was low. He has been on supplements for the past 3 months and is feeling a little more peppy. My self it was low iron. I was feeling tired and heartbeat a little quick. Just a thought you could ask your Dr. Hope you feel a little better. Sue

#22203 - 10/01/03 10:25 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I sometimes get cramp-like pain down my leg. I think this is something like sciatica that my IBS makes me more sensitive too. Is this similar?

I agree with Sue: A mineral deficieny sounds probable as this would explain both the cramps and the tiredness. Get a blood test!

With the exercise, I know what you mean - sometimes I'm so tired it's an effort just to stand up, let alone exercise! Why don't you try some yoga - it's not too strenuous, you can rest in between the postures and you don't have to leave your bedroom! If you do just a very little bit each day, you will find it makes a huge difference (not that I always follow my own advice! ).

Hope this helps.

Linz

#22206 - 10/01/03 10:38 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Leg cramps and muscle weakness doesn't sound like IBS to me. Call your general doctor and tell him/her what is going so hopefully blood tests can be ordered.
Hope you are feeling better.

#22209 - 10/01/03 10:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - This does not sound like IBS at all, and could be anything from the mineral deficiency other folks mentioned to multiple sclerosis. Definitely do not wait to call your doc about this. See your family doc first, and if they can't find anything, ask for a referral to a neurologist just to be safe.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#22398 - 10/03/03 03:57 PM
mamaraggi

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: Davie, Florida

Hi Thanks for the support and advice. I've been anemic for a year that I know and low on a B vitamin. I have a suffplement but have a tendency to throw it up. One a day vitamins also make me very nauseus (sp?) I have been to a endrocrinologist who has done vial after vial of blood work. With that and the rectal bleeding I'm feeling a bit drained. My pain level has been high the last few days but its been up high, like just below the heart. I run a fever most afternoons. I don't know. I've stopped complaining much about the fast heart rate (after a 2hour wait it isn't usually above 85 anyways so I don't think they beleive me). My endocrinologist says my blood work is abnormal so he's repeating the endless tubes. I still don't know if this is IBS like the gasto says but I sure do appreciate the support ya'll offer. I'll let you know if anything exciting changesj. In the meantime, I'll be hanging in there! Have a great weekend and I hope the Miami Dolphins win.
Betsy GO MARLINS!!!

#22427 - 10/04/03 07:31 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Betsy, didn't realize you were anemic. What supplements are you on? Iron tablets? Vit. B tablets? Try taking supplement with food.
Myself I am IBS-D/IBD-Ulcerative Colitis. I bleed quite a bit at times rectally due to UC. Because of the bleeding, I have my blood tested every 3 months. I know when I need iron supplements because I get leg cramps, dizzyness, rapid heartbeat and sweating due to fevers. When I take the supplements I take it a half hour after my morning snack.
The meds. I am on for this is Dipentum-Olsalazine Sodium, 250 mg. capsules, 2-3x a day/meals. Also Pentasa-enema,5-Aminosalcylic acid enema;100 ml- each evening before bed.
These are to only control not to cure. At times the bleeding is heavier when I have a bad day of D.
Maybe you can ask your Dr. to test you for Colitis.
Hope this helps. Take it easy. Sue

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1611 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review