All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
? re: soluble fiber suppl. effect on cholesterol levels
      #21509 - 09/23/03 06:09 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

Dr. Andrew Weil suggests that soluble fiber in foods helps lower cholesterol levels by binding cholesterol in the intestinal tract and increasing its elimination from the body. He suggests beans, peas, rice bran, barley, citrus fruits and strawberries. My question is this, do soluble fiber supplements like Benefiber and Citrucel work on cholesterol levels in the body in the same way that soluble fiber from food does? Any further info on this would be much appreciated. artist

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yep, they do! new
      #21533 - 09/23/03 10:17 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

All soluble fiber does this - supplements or foods. This is actually why Quaker Oats has the little heart-friendly label on their package - the oats lower cholesterol because they're high in soluble fiber.

A lot of folks with high cholesterol are actually told to start taking soluble fiber supplements. They're definitely beneficial.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: ? re: soluble fiber suppl. effect on cholesterol levels new
      #21535 - 09/23/03 10:23 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Artist--I can't answer this question, but I wanted to piggyback on your post because I think you read the same stuff from Dr. Weil that I just did.

My question has to do with information in that same article that says eating foods that are high on the glycemic index "can cause rapid increases in blood sugar, prompting the pancreas to release insulin, which in turn signals the liver to pump more triglycerides into the bloodstream." It seems like a lot of the soluble fiber foods we eat, like rice, french bread, potatoes, etc. might be high on the glycemic index. I'm wondering if this has an effect as well. Since I have high triglycerides, I'm wondering if I need to rethink which soluble fiber foods I eat.

Thanks!

#21536 - 09/23/03 10:24 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - do a search on glycemic index on the board to find posts on this.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yep, they do! new
      #21537 - 09/23/03 10:24 AM
Judithg

Heather--can you look at the question I added to this thread--think I was posting it at the same time you posted your answer to Artist's question, and I wanted to get your thoughts on the triglyceride part of the equation.

Thanks!
Judithg

#21540 - 09/23/03 10:35 AM
Judithg

I did a search, and I only found a couple of posts relating to chewing more slowly and eating foods that digest more slowly. Will check the internet for more info, but I'm kind of under the impression that such things as white rice are high on the glycemic index. I kind of live on rice products, so I wondered if this might be causing my triglyceride problem.

Glycemic index new
      #21543 - 09/23/03 10:48 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - The glycemic index can be helpful, but it can be taken out of context too. Most people don't make a meal out of white rice, for example, but something like a fried rice that has a lot of chopped veggies (which are likely low glycemic index) mixed in. This will lower the overall meal glycemic index level.

You can also choose high soluble fiber foods that are lower glycemic index - things like brown rice, oatmeal, barley and root veggies. And the supplements won't have any glycemic measurement at all.

Some of the foods that are high on the index are also good soluble fiber sources (like potatoes) and will lower your cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease and diabetes. Soluble fiber in any form will actually help keep your blood glycemic levels stable.

For the triglycerides, I've pretty much read to avoid the same foods that would cause your cholesterol levels to be too high (namely saturated fats, particularly animal sat fats). But I've also read that too much refined sugar can raise triglyceride levels, so you might want to watch that. Most Americans get the majority of sugar in their diets from soft drinks - which is probably not a factor for you since this is an IBS trigger. But if you're drinking other sweetened things, or eating a lot of desserts, it won't hurt to cut back on that.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Thanks Heather, that's good news! -nt- new
      #21558 - 09/23/03 12:05 PM
artist

#21560 - 09/23/03 12:13 PM
artist

You are right, this gets very confusing. Perhaps the key is to make the soluble fiber the base of a balanced meal. Include lots of cooked veggies and fish with a little pasta, rice or potatoes. Do this instead of consistently eating only a large quantity of plain rice or pasta at one meal? artist p.s. Don't you just love your daily tip from Dr. Weil!

Thanks, Heather! Very good info! - nt new
      #21783 - 09/26/03 12:48 PM
Judithg

#22346 - 10/02/03 08:39 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Also, look at the different rices. Heather suggested brown rice, and that's a good suggestion. The other rices that are lower on the glycemic index are basmati rice and converted rice (=Uncle Ben's). So, choose any of those instead of short-grain rices such as sushi rice. Does that make sense? Also, keep in mind that the glycemic index is an objective measure, but we don't eat foods in a laboratory setting--no one sits down and eats a pound of carrots at a time, which is the amount of carrots one would have to eat to experience the blood sugar effect the glycemic index lists. Does THAT make sense? Dr. Weil (I'm a fan, too!) recommends a book that I tried to get through once, all about the glycemic index and how it applies in the real world. You might look for that at the library. I think it's called _The Glucose Revolution_.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3393 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2579

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review