All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hi Heather I have a question about Probiotics
      #20649 - 09/13/03 06:39 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Do you know how long you have to take Probiotics before you know if they help or not?
Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi Heather I have a question about Probiotics new
      #23212 - 10/12/03 07:06 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hi. From what I've read it takes time. Remember you didn't get into this condition over night and repairing the damage and replacing the lost flora will not happen overnight. I would say you'd need to take them at least 3 months at or near the maximum dosage to see results. Which one are you using? I'm starting on Primal Defense.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

I've seen references to 2-3 months before you see probiotic effects, new
      #23246 - 10/13/03 11:48 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but check the research library under the probiotics section for studies and see how long a time period they used.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I've seen references to 2-3 months before you see probiotic effects, new
      #23300 - 10/13/03 07:49 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I read that a lot of probiotics sold aren't reliable since the bacteria might be dead. Is this true?

--------------------
IBS-C

I've read that too... new
      #23309 - 10/13/03 11:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

but there are clinical studies that show live probiotics really do work (check the research library). How you know which brands are good and which aren't is where I'm at a loss. You could always eat soy yogurt with live cultures.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I've read that too... new
      #23320 - 10/14/03 08:01 AM
Corinne

As I mentioned I'm taking Primal Defense where the organisms are dormant till you mix them with water. This protects them. But yes, a lot of the other ones might not be transported properly or stored properly and you have no way of knowing if they are live or not.

--------------------

#23321 - 10/14/03 08:04 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Not sure if this a fact or fiction but I was told to but probiotics out of the refrigerator because those are the live one and the ones not refigerated are not live??? Does see somewhat logical anyway, thats what I have been following?!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Here's some more info... new
      #23323 - 10/14/03 08:21 AM
Corinne

It depends on the probiotic. The info on Primal Defense (and there is quite a bit of it) can be found at
Primal Defense web page
All I know is that my diahrrea has pretty much stopped and for that I am grateful. It takes up to 6 months in very severe cases to normalize bowel function. You can contact them for more information if you can't find the answers you want on the web page.
The health food store where I shop has told me that this stuff is the best on the market and has helped many people who couldn't be helped any other way. It's pricey up here but I think the US price is $35 a bottle. One bottle will last about a month one the maintenance dose of 3 pills a day. Right now I am on the 6 a day plan to saturate my body with the organisms. I have been in contact with the makers and they have helped me a great deal. They are very good about answering questions and so on.

--------------------

#23334 - 10/14/03 09:56 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I have heard about primal defense. Can you tell me if you are doing a better with no diahhrea and take this, will you get diahhrea? I still have somedays were I can't tolerate some foods, feel upset tummy and feel like I have a little spasic tummy. Can this product help me?
Sherr

#23337 - 10/14/03 10:24 AM
Corinne

I had almost constant diahrrea and sometimes with no warning. It didn't matter what I ate or didn't. Now I'm much more regular although I don't think the bacon was a good thing on the weekend. So some foods are still a no-no but you would have to find that for yourself. My biggest triggers are high fat foods and lactose. Actually Primal Defense is constipating so if you are usually constipated you can still take it but make sure you add in a fibre supplement and eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. This product should help. If you go to their web page they have a link there to contact them and they have been very helpful. They've helped me determine how much I should be taking and for how long and all that. I'm sure they can answer all your questions. The web page is:
web page
If this link doesn't work, please let me know. I'm pretty sure I've done this right. Once you get there, there is a drop down box on the right hand side that reads: Information on Garden of Life products. In the drop down box you can find Primal Defense. Hope this helps and good luck.

--------------------

Edited by Corinne (10/14/03 10:26 AM)

#23340 - 10/14/03 10:35 AM
sherr1

Thanks! I don't take any supplements for fiber. I just watch what I eat on the fiber side, my problem is too high fiber intake no-no, so I'm constantly using recipes to manage it, but lately I have been going regularly no problems. I do get more crampy during the menstrual cycle which brings it on. Have you ever heard of raspberry tea for Ibs and menstrual relief?
Thanks again for the info sherr1

#23361 - 10/14/03 12:01 PM
Corinne

Actually no I hadn't heard that. I'll have to look into that. I could sure use it. I just found out my birth control pills are a big no-no for me as they contain lactose. I'm sure that was a BIG part of my problem. If you decide to try the Primal Defense let me know how you are doing and feel free to email me with questions or just to chat.

Corinne

--------------------

#23367 - 10/14/03 12:35 PM
sherr1

I can't take the pill either. I had my tube tied 8yrs ago after my third child. Matter of fact started having men
strual problems shortly after, to migranes to now Ibs symptoms. Could these be related? Hum? Got a question for ya since your D proned like me. How do you do with Soy milk?
I been using soy dream it's the only thing that doesn't upset my tummy, but lately I find me a little gassy. How about you? Talks soon. Have a great day. Sherri

#23373 - 10/14/03 01:11 PM
Corinne

I think I am ok with soy milk. I never looked at it as a culprit. I had a lot of trouble controlling my symptoms till the probiotics. I never thought about the soy milk. I'll have to keep a little better track of it and see if that's not helping. I use Sensational Soy and have had good and bad days so I don't think it's too much trouble for me. What really made me gassy was the metamucil but there is no other supplement available where I am so I'm just dropping that.

Talk to you later.

--------------------

gelatin new
      #23388 - 10/14/03 02:07 PM
AngieC

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: southern Illinois

I stay away from anything with gelatin because of its animal-based ingredients. I was going to buy the peppermint tabs, but discovered they have gelatin in them. Are there any other supplement that might help IBS symptons that do not contain gelatin?

We're trying to get vegan peppermint capsules with no gelatin... new
      #23403 - 10/14/03 05:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

We have to place a special order for this, and it would be for organic peppermint oil within the capsules as well. I couldn't find a good supplier that has non-gelatin caps without special ordering. This bugs me too...I don't want horse hooves in my supplements, ya know? And they can make gel caps with plant sources for the gelatin, so I don't know why they don't routinely do this.

I'll let you know when this comes to pass.

- Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review