All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: The problem with citrucel.... new
      #214357 - 09/19/05 01:34 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

It's so hard.....I'm so confused....sometimes the citrucel does control the diarrhea but it's not consistent. So, I don't know where to go from here. I am kind of scared to try the acacia again, since it did not work for me the first time, two years ago when I first got sick. Of course, I don't think anything would have helped me then.......
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The problem with citrucel.... new
      #214363 - 09/19/05 01:54 PM
anlikerm

After going back to my book that I kept two years ago when I was on the Acacia Fiber, I don't think I gave it a fair chance. I don't think I did it right.....I just bought some more....I'm going to do it right this time and see if it works. I have to do something........
Nothing else is working and I'm pretty sure it is because of the fiber....I don't think I'm getting enough.
Thanks for all your help!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

I take Citrucel -- and have had great luck with it - but new
      #214365 - 09/19/05 01:59 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I do have to take a lot of it -- and I take the caplets -- not the fiber. Here is the info about the calories and all that on the caplets:

Each 2-caplet dose of CITRUCEL® Caplets contains 0 grams of carbohydrates and 0.5 calories. Additionally, CITRUCEL® Caplets do not contain any cholesterol or fat.

Re: I take Citrucel -- and have had great luck with it - but new
      #214396 - 09/19/05 02:50 PM
anlikerm

How many caplets do you take??

--------------------
Unstable

No, it isn't - the link you posted is about something different... new
      #214422 - 09/19/05 04:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Acacia as a soluble fiber comes from the gum of Acacia seyal or Acacia senegal trees. It's not a legume at all. It actively reduces bloating and gas because it slowly ferments in the gut - there's info about that in a past newsletter.

ANY sudden dramatic increase in fiber intake, whether soluble fiber or insoluble fiber, can overwhelm the gut and cause bloating and gas. But of all the fiber supplements, Acacia should be the least likely to cause gas when it's used properly.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#214439 - 09/19/05 05:20 PM
kshsmom

I take gobs of them -- 8 caplets - 3 times a day.... (I take it before each meal) so 24 total. So that equals out to 12 grams of fiber supplement -- and keeps me stable.

I had problems with other fibers I tried.

#214440 - 09/19/05 05:31 PM
anlikerm

Wow! That IS lot!! I only take 1tbs three times a day so that would equal, what, 6 grams. That cannot be enough to stabilize me......Did 6 grams stabilize you???
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Michelle, please let us know how the acacia goes down... new
      #214540 - 09/20/05 06:42 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

the second time around. I am interested in seeing if you can handle it this time.

When you say you weren't taking it the right way, what did you mean? How were you taking it that you don't think it was the right way? How are you going to take it differently this time?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Michelle, please let us know how the acacia goes down... new
      #214543 - 09/20/05 06:56 AM
anlikerm

Hey Beth! I was going back through my log, and Heather says that sometimes you need to wait a week or sometimes even longer in between increasing the dosage.......I went from taking a 1/2 tablespoon twice a day to 1 tablespoon three times a day a day within a week!!! I think that was WAAAAAY to fast of a jump for my system and that may be why it didn't work for me......I noticed that when I was complaining of diarrhea attacks, when I started taking the 1/2 tablespoon twice a day......I was only having 1 BM a morning instead of 6-10 like I usually was. But, when I was at 3 tablespoons a day within that same week, I was having really bad gas pains and alot more BM every morning again. It was probably a shock to my system. So, I think I will wait At least a week in between increasing dosage.....so I can monitor my symptoms more closely. I will let ya know how it goes!! I'm on here every day now that I had to quit my job. I need to get better, sooon!!! I have been out of work since Aug 2nd.
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#214573 - 09/20/05 07:44 AM
kshsmom

Nope. You may just need more -- not a different kind. I had to have more fiber to stop my D. It made it better -- but I still had it off and on -- which is what you are describing - right? I didn't really feel the difference until I got around...10 grams -- and then I felt stable... no more "attacks" unless I did something to "deserve" it at 12 - so I stopped there. I mean -- I still have to control my diet... no dairy and watch the fat, etc. but I feel so much better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3087 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9701

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review