All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Can we eat splenda?
      #20160 - 09/10/03 09:17 AM
schwab

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Dayton, OH

Or is is it as bad as any other artifical sweetner? I only ask b/c they promote it as a natural food from real sugar.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can we eat splenda? new
      #20161 - 09/10/03 09:24 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I believe that we're not supposed to. I do it anyway ( ) because I can't stand to add calories to my food just to make it sweeter.

--------------------
~jules

Re: Can we eat splenda? new
      #20168 - 09/10/03 09:50 AM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi everyone,

I use Stevia. It's a naural herbal sweetner with 0 calories. I'm uncomfortable useing Splenda because they have not done enough research to know all the possible side effects it has.
Cloudygirl

Stevia ok? new
      #20176 - 09/10/03 10:36 AM
schwab

That was my next thought- what about Stevia? I know that is is a natural source, but the fact that it has 0 calories, like Splenda, scared me. I hate adding calories too, so it would be great touse in recipes (desserts) and smoothies to cut down on the calories.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Re: Stevia ok? new
      #20184 - 09/10/03 11:22 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I use Stevia and I have no problems with it. It is a plant derived sweetener...alot sweeter than sugar so a little goes a long way! No bad stuff at all..actually, some have a natural fiber added to it as well, so even better! Good luck!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Stevia -can we use in recipes? new
      #20189 - 09/10/03 11:34 AM
schwab

Since it would be a larger amount than in a smoothie or something? I guess it is all proportional when you put more in a recipe but eat only a portion. It is expensive, but a little does go a long way and it is worth it if it will limit sugar content for calories.

Re: Stevia -can we use in recipes? new
      #20206 - 09/10/03 12:22 PM
tnchawk

I am sure that you can bake with it. I have not, yet, but I would do some internet research beforhand, just so you don't "over sweeten!"

--------------------

Question about Stevia new
      #20211 - 09/10/03 12:52 PM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Where can you get Stevia? Is it available at general grocery stores?
Kristine

Re: Question about Stevia new
      #20218 - 09/10/03 01:36 PM
tnchawk

No...you can find it at Whole Foods or most health food stores. It is great! Comes in packets or granular to measure as needed.

I see you are from Pittsburgh...what part? I am from New Kensington and HOPING to move back HOME soon! I miss it so much!

Christianne

--------------------

#20235 - 09/10/03 04:15 PM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

New Kensington is about 45 minutes from where I live. I'm originally from the Millvale area, but I now live in Beechview, which is just south of downtown. It's great to find someone familiar with the area!

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some checking around the local health stores here.

Kristine

Stevia vs. Splenda new
      #20256 - 09/10/03 08:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Stevia is just a plant derived sweetener that is perfectly safe. Feel free to use it in drinks in such, though I'm not sure at all about using it for baking. Replacing real sugar in recipes involves a lot of food chemistry and you'll alter a lot more than just the sweetness by making this change. Might do a google search on stevia in baking and see if there are guidelines.

Splenda, on the other hand, is an lab-engineered version of sugar molecules. It's definitely not a naturally occuring substance, and no one knows what the long-term effects of consuming it could be. I've already heard from people who have had IBS flares from it, so I'd be really cautious here. It's an artificial sweetener, which means that I don't trust it. You may be able to tolerate a packet of it in a drink or such, but I definitely would not use it in the quantities you'd need to make desserts out of it. Either use real sugar and eat small portions, or just eliminate desserts from your diet.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#20285 - 09/11/03 08:51 AM
tnchawk

I know that you will be able to find it at Whole Foods which is in the East Liberty area....actually a GOOD part!! I don't know all of the health food stores out where you are, but I am sure that you have one around somewhere! I miss being there and look forward to always coming back to visit. I am glad to find someone familiar as well! Take care!

Christianne

--------------------

Re: Baking with Stevia new
      #20293 - 09/11/03 09:36 AM
schwab

I am so glad to hear that we can eat Stevia. I would love to cut down on sugar and calories. I know you can use it in baking b/c I remember seeing a cookbook for it. There are probably some recipes we can eat in the bok or modify. Do a search on bn.com or amazon.com for stevia baking and there are a few books- one includes muffin recipes, smoothies, etc.

Re: Stevia Cookbook! new
      #20297 - 09/11/03 09:51 AM
schwab

I found this book-baking with Stevia- Recipes for the Sweet Leaf by Rita E Depuydt. IT IS ALSO A VEGAN COOKBOOK!!! How cool! Squash Corn Muffins, cookies, brownies, pies, sherbert, frostings, cakes, smoothies! I am going to order this right now! I saw two other books, but I am not sure if they happen to also be vegan. Boy, we are all high maintenance, but we can certainly find ways to eat yummy, healthful foods! There seems to be a substiitue for almost evrything to modify recipes.

Re: Stevia Cookbook! new
      #20302 - 09/11/03 10:54 AM
tnchawk

Let me know how the book is once you get it! I am always looking for new cookbooks!
Christianne

--------------------

Re: Stevia Cookbook! Schwab-do you like the stevia/vegan cookbook that you bought? -nt new
      #24359 - 10/24/03 01:41 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Help High Fructose....... new
      #45292 - 02/17/04 05:31 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I've read some of the archives and was wondering is there a difference in High Fructose and High Fructose Corn Syrup, if so, is one safer than the other? I love jelly and jam....and have read the fructose is an IBS irritant. I also love my sweets and want to know about candies, like laffy taffy, hard candies, etc. Anyone who has found something that is safe and has a sweet tooth, please help me out.

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#45299 - 02/17/04 06:30 AM

Unregistered

Stevia is ok to use. I've used it in the past and it's ok, just be sure when starting out to use it sparingly because it's so sweet if you use to much it gets bitter. You can bake with it. Cookbooks can be found at health food stores. Also anyone out there somersize? Suzanne Somers makes Somersweet. It's also a fiber. It's sweeter than sugar and you can bake with it as well.

#48144 - 03/05/04 06:41 AM
tanyak

Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Knoxville, TN

I absulutely love Somersweet! Our entire family uses it. You have to order it off her website now, (suazannesomers.com) and it is so good! No funny after taste. I like it much better than the spenda or stevia! You should here our kids talk about it, they sound like a walking commercial. I buy it buy the case. And yes, you can also cook with it.

--------------------
TANYA

Re: Stevia vs. Splenda new
      #127198 - 12/02/04 10:36 PM
Shinshi

Reged: 11/26/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Here's a web page that has good information about Stevia and includes recipe conversions...

Stevia Equivalents

Question for Tanya about somersweet new
      #127228 - 12/03/04 05:00 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I hope you answer me back. I love Suzanne Somers and watch her all the time on HSN when she is selling her somersweet stuff, but have been nervous to order it because I am scared of artificial sweetners. But so much of her stuff looks so good. You say you use somersweet and have no problems, so I am just wondering if you are IBS-D or IBS-C. If you are D and have no adverse effects, then I might order something from Suzanne.

You CAN get Stevia in your local supermarket. Look in the organic food section. new
      #127248 - 12/03/04 06:48 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

Re: Stevia vs. Splenda new
      #127450 - 12/03/04 06:01 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

No wonder why my stomach hurt yesterday after drinking hot tea. I didn't feel like warming up the honey to thin it.

My sister-n-law, who has been a nurse for 20 years, gave me a bagful and I thought it was safe to use. More proof the medical profession doesn't always know what is best.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 474 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3719

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review