All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
      #1999 - 03/06/03 03:37 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Hey there. Someone recommended this site to me and it's been so great to read recipes for ibs! I was diagnosed about 8 months ago with ibs-d and I have so much to learn. Following my 'gut' instincts is a start but I still have many questions. I have lower back pain, headaches, nausea, migraines and very bad neck pain - could this be ibs related?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Newbie new
      #2007 - 03/06/03 08:35 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I have the nausea, and I guess that is not uncommon, but I have not seen anyone else mention back and neck pain and migraines. That sounds serious

Ginger is good for nausea. A friend of mine says that ginger caplets work pretty good, I was going to pick some up myself.

I have occasional stiff necks, there is a product called "thermacare" you can get - it is a sort of heat pad that you can stick on your neck or back and it stays warm all day. That really helps me.

If the pain is chronic though, I would see a dr...

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#2014 - 03/06/03 09:44 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Migraines, yes. Mine are 3 dayers. No matter what I take or what I do it's 3 days.

Re: Newbie - welcome! new
      #2015 - 03/06/03 09:47 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

tlc - Welcome to the IBS family. We're your family away from home!!

The symptoms you mention sound familiar for a few people I know who have IBS, particularly the migraines, headaches and neck pain. The one person who I am thinking of also has fibromyalgia and arthritis and is 58 years old. I don't know how old you are. There are other things I've noticed about people with IBS that are similar: we tend to have obsessive/compulsive urges (I tend to put plastic hangers in color order when they don't have anything on them, I put envelopes when I'm ready to mail them in size order, hang clothes in my closet according to short sleeve, long sleeve, jackets, sweatshirts, etc.) I can't tell if I'm being compulsive or if I do it to be organized!

Also, I've noticed that many of us get headaches or migraines. I haven't had a migraine (knock on wood) since I moved to the mountains--and goodness knows, I've had enough stress to cause them. I do talk to myself a lot--maybe that helps.

Have you had these things checked out w/a doc? Xrays, blood tests, etc.?

Heather probably would be able to answer your questions, tho. She's had tons of experience with IBS, especially her own and other people's, and is our resident expert.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

And, don't be shy about asking anything--we're here to help not criticize.

Welcome, again.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2092 - 03/07/03 05:16 AM
tlc

Sharon,

Thank you so much for the kind words, reassurance and support. I am a 26 year old female who was diagnosed with ibsd last year after an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Prior to that I went to a neurologist for my migranes and am on endep for it. It tends to help, though whenever I am stressed or worried, rest assured I'm nauseaus and with a migraine.

As for the obsessive compulsive - you've got me thinking on this one! I do have a pet nitpick that toilet rolls have to be on the right way - if not, I'll change them! hehe

A lot of people have said eliminate certain foods from my diet. So far I've removed quite a lot of fats, carbonated drinks etc. I'm not sure what else to do about it.

Also - I don't know if I'm lactose intolerant or not, but I have really bad reactions when I have flavoured milks, yoghurt and eggs. Ewwww....

Once again, thanks so much!

#2093 - 03/07/03 05:17 AM
tlc

I agree with you there! If I get one, I'm out of commission for a few days usually. Or at least I have the dull pains. Most of it stems from my neck I think??

#2094 - 03/07/03 05:19 AM
tlc

Thanks for the tip. I've seen a neurologist about it and I"m on medication for it (preventative stuff to take every night) though it doesn't always work.

I've tried so many different types of medicine for it, but this is the only thing that seems to work a little for me.

Re: Newbie - welcome! - where to look... new
      #2100 - 03/07/03 07:24 AM
SharonMello

tlc - Hi again. Go to the top of this page where it says "IBS Links" and read, read, read. You'll find just about everything you want to know about IBS and what to eat and not eat, etc., etc.

Yeah, I'm the same way with TP rolls. Weird isn't it?
Have fun reading and good luck.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#2127 - 03/07/03 04:41 PM
Judi

Reged: 03/05/03
Loc: Florida

I get migrains, and I think maybe you're right... obsessive, but I really think it's easier to put things in proper order. I try fiorinal but imitrex helps. Expensive so I cut in half. I also think it has to run its course. My mother had them, but her migraines stopped after menopause. I'm 70 so guess I never had the change. Ha ha.

#2144 - 03/08/03 03:34 AM
tlc

Hi Judi,

I haven't heard of the medication you are on. I"m on endep and it's very cheap! $10 lasts me 2 months and I"m on one per night.

Hope things improve for you. Migraines are not nice!

Re: Newbie - welcome! - where to look... new
      #2145 - 03/08/03 03:36 AM
tlc

Wow! I've never met anyone who has the same issue with TP as me. THis is great! I will start checking out the links today. Thanks for the tip.

Re: Newbie - TP ISSUE new
      #2161 - 03/08/03 08:10 AM
SharonMello

tlc - the only reason NOT to put the TP roll on the right way is because you have a cat or dog that likes to unroll it!!! Guess we're both strange, huh?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Newbie - TP ISSUE-Thank you!! new
      #2169 - 03/08/03 08:44 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

tlc & Sharon - I just had to say thanks for a great laugh! I just got finished complaining to my boyfriend about 2 days ago why does he put it on upside down...it's so irritating! The thing is, it's bothered me for some time and I usually just put it on the right way, but I just finally said something to him, and now I see this. LOL

You mean other people have this issue too?!? new
      #2176 - 03/08/03 12:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I thought I was the only one in the world who cared about which way the toilet paper hangs! I will even turn it around at someone else's house because it bugs me so much (geez, I hope my friends aren't reading this!)

The odd thing is, I swear I remember reading a Dear Abby column about this waaaaaayyyyyy back in the '70s and she actually came up with an official "right" way to hang it.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: You mean other people have this issue too?!? new
      #2181 - 03/08/03 01:07 PM
SharonMello

Heather - so, which is the right way??? (as if I didn't know!) Sometimes I think others just put the roll on as fast as they can and don't pay attention to which way it unrolls. Gee, I'm glad I'm not the only quirky one on this board!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

The right way... new
      #2187 - 03/08/03 01:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Well, this is according to Dear Abby (and me!), but the paper is supposed to come out from under the roll, and not over the top.

I can just see people on the board coming to blows over this!!!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: The right way...and my way! new
      #2195 - 03/08/03 01:51 PM
SharonMello

Heather - I can't believe you like your TP coming out from underneath...how un-user friendly!! But, then the cat or dog won't be able to unroll it either. I prefer it the other way. I like to "swat" down--not up! Guess that's why God made more than 1 flavor of ice cream, huh? Not everybody likes the same kind!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#2196 - 03/08/03 02:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Aaacckk! No! I was afraid of this. Well, if I ever visit your house and the tp ends up upside down...I deny everything.

- H

--------------------

Re: You mean other people have this issue too?!? new
      #2202 - 03/08/03 03:55 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I agree with you on the way tp should go. When I lived at home, I always hated it when my brother put it on. oh, wait he never but it on. Maybe it was my dad. Anyways, that is the way it hangs at our house. So if you visited you won't have to change it around.

#2208 - 03/08/03 06:22 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

I am laughing at this because I caught myself a few hours ago fixing the roll of tp in my bathroom that my grandma put in and it was coming out the top. It has to come out from the bottom and I have also been know to switch while at someone else's house.

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Re: TP - HEATHER & PEANUT... new
      #2209 - 03/08/03 06:44 PM
SharonMello

H & P - Oooooooohhhhhhhh...##$%$#^%$##@#$..don't expect an invite to my house any time soon unless you don't mess with the TP roll (and there's three bathrooms to contend with)--I just got my husband trained to put the TP on coming out the top. Don't you dare undo what took me 20 years to "do". He's Portuguese and almost untrainable as it is!!!!! LOL
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

The REAL right way new
      #2223 - 03/08/03 07:37 PM
Karin

Click here for the REAL right way to place the toilet paper roll on. LOL.....
http://www.pe.net/~karin/tp.jpg

Re: Top Definitely! new
      #2226 - 03/08/03 07:58 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Heather - I think you may have to start another poll! LOL

Here's the real skinny........ new
      #2228 - 03/08/03 08:22 PM
Karin

This should clear up any misconceptions about Dear Abby, or Ann Landers and their recommendations:

http://www.contestcen.com/paper.htm

#2230 - 03/08/03 11:38 PM
tlc

I'd have to agree with you Sharon! I too like mine the 'opposite' way to the 'right way'! heheh.... and I do find that I have to change it to my way if I'm anywhere else!

Re: Top Definitely! new
      #2235 - 03/09/03 12:36 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Hmmm...I just HAVE to join this conversation!

I like the paper to come from the top BUT its because of the doo-hicky we have on our dispenser. In Japan, everyone has a doo-hicky attached (hanging from the dispenser) to have an extra roll ready if you run out. The doo-hicky is made of fabric and if you put the roll in so that it comes from the bottom - it snags and you spend most of your time swatting the roll trying to get the smallest piece! So I HAVE to put the roll so it comes from the top. This doo-hicky is soooooo convenient! No more embarassing moments stranded in the bathroom! I'm taking a bunch home with me when I move back to give as presents!

Re: TP - HEATHER & PEANUT...Sharon new
      #2236 - 03/09/03 05:14 AM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Pretty diligent with the 20 year training. I say bravo with sticking to your guns! We have 2 bathrooms, but I am good and only keep mine in the correct running order. I steer clear of my grandma's. LOL! Does that help in my defense any?

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Re: TP - Definitely, but HVV is in deep doo-doo!! -nt- new
      #2273 - 03/09/03 03:36 PM
SharonMello

--------------------
Sharon

Re: The REAL right way - I'm w/you, babe! new
      #2274 - 03/09/03 03:39 PM
SharonMello

Karin - I never laughed so much. I had tears in my eyes. You're a real riot!!! Love it (and you too!). Thanks for being on my side. Sheri and Heather have to pee outside with the deer if they ever visit here, but you...you have a place in my bathroom anytime!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Edited by SharonMello (03/09/03 03:40 PM)

Re: Here's the real skinny........ new
      #2276 - 03/09/03 03:45 PM
SharonMello

Karin - I knew it!!!! IF the proper way WAS hanging down in the back, then how could all the hotels fold the end of the TP so beautifully in a point?? I tell ya, you and me, kiddo, are the right ones.!!!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Top Definitely! - Send a Doo-hickey to Heather!!! -nt- new
      #2277 - 03/09/03 03:49 PM
SharonMello

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Newbie - welcome! tic migraine new
      #2538 - 03/11/03 10:21 PM
Judi

Reged: 03/05/03
Loc: Florida

Tic Thank you. I never heard of endep but I sure will look for it. Imitrex is for migraines but so expensive that I don't use as I should. Yes, migraines + IbS is so difficult. let you know how I do. Judi

Re: Newbie - welcome! tic migraine new
      #2553 - 03/12/03 02:36 AM
tlc

Hi Judi. Please let me know how you get on. I"m sure not all medication for migraines suits everyone, but maybe this might help you and it's a lot cheaper! The exact name is endep 25mg (you can get it in 10mg), amitriptyline hydrochloride.

Good luck!

Tlc

Re: Newbie - TP ISSUE new
      #2554 - 03/12/03 02:38 AM
tlc

I was speaking to my Mum tonight on the phone and told her of the TP issue we were discussing on the board. She was in hysterics saying she is the exact same way - if the TP isn't coming up over the top, she changes it to suit her! Is this hereditary???? hehhehe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9257

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review