All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
can just eating dinner (of any sort) be a trigger?
      #19985 - 09/08/03 08:29 PM
marla

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: pa

Hi all, I have a question... Every night,a little bit after dinner, no matter what I eat for dinner, I'm in pain. I don't have the problem after other meals. Sometimes, It's obvious, like if I eat an obvious trigger food of mine (like fats) well, then I get very sick afterwards. But, even when I;m careful I get pain after dinner although it's not as bad as when I eat something "bad". Now, I don't eat very much all day long, just a bowl of cereal at breakfast and a yogurt for lunch. Is it the quantity of food getting me? Is there anything I can do to help this? Thanks for listening, Marla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: can just eating dinner (of any sort) be a trigger? new
      #20001 - 09/09/03 05:28 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I've had days where just about near everything bloats me up bigger than a hot air balloon. Maybe you should start over on Heather's Diet and stick to only extremely safe foods for a couple of days and then rephase the other foods in. I've had to do that a couple of times. Make sure you're getting in plenty of water (at least 64 ounces, and more is better).

Hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
~jules

#20005 - 09/09/03 06:15 AM
jules

Oh, and I've also found that a heating pad right on the tummy along with a few cups of strong peppermint tea eases my pain a bit.

--------------------
~jules

#20009 - 09/09/03 06:58 AM
schwab

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Dayton, OH

This is just my experience, but it may be useful to you.
I cannot eat yogurt. I have tried- repeatedly, despertaely-even with Lactaid supplements. I have also found that my tummy has a delayed reaction, meaning that I cannot usually tell if something will hurt my tummy until the NEXT meal. If I ate yogurt for lunch, I would feel fine for a while, then start to feel a little bloated and gassy. But it would not be until I ate dinner that I found how bad it was b/c my food does not feel settled and I feel yucky. Like the person said- I would rule out the dairy and see what happens- see of you have pain after dinner after several days of no dairy for lunch.

#20010 - 09/09/03 07:05 AM
marla

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: pa

thanks for the suggestions, I will try eliminating dairy. Why is water so important? I keep hearing about it but don't know why, I'm sure I need work on that also. Thanks again.

#20013 - 09/09/03 07:11 AM
jules

Water is SO important!!! Here's an article that I found:

http://www.yoga-for-health-and-fitness.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.htm

--------------------
~jules

#20024 - 09/09/03 08:41 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Marla,

I am sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. Have you been following Heather's diet.

I think there maybe a few things that you may not be considering as triggers. Trust me I had a tough time because it seemed like everything was a trigger at the start

If you are drinking regular milk with your cereal a problem may lie in that. You may want to switch to soy or rice milk.

Also, watch the ingredients of the cereal you are eating it maybe better to switch to oatmeal for a bit.

Don't let your tummy get completely empty. Eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and supper. Do not let your tummy get empty and do not overeat because that can trigger an attack.

You should also try breaking the cycle. I don't know how to put a link to this post - but you will be able to do a search with Date Range to show All Posts.

I would seriously consider getting Heather's books as they outline the triggers that I never thought were able to cause me problems.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Keep us posted!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Water - why it's crucial! new
      #20123 - 09/09/03 06:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It's what makes soluble fiber work so well to stabilize you. Check here for details web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#20663 - 09/14/03 06:07 AM
Radar

Reged: 09/02/03

I find that if I eat very little all day, then a moderate-to-big dinner, I get an attack. I generally try to eat something every two hours all day, and have a "pre-dinner snack" about 20 minutes before suppertime (e.g. baked corn chips or a half-bagel), so I don't gorge the minute I sit at the table.

Maybe you're too hungry at dinnertime and hence eating too quickly on a mostly-empty stomach?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1156

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review