All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Mountain Home Nutritionals
      #197991 - 07/20/05 07:35 PM
Sharon Mello

Reged: 08/23/04
Loc: 25 miles from Yosemite National Park in Ca.

Hi - has anyone ever heard of Dr. David Williams who owns/runs Mountain Home Nutritionals in Ranson, WV and claims a "wonderful, tiny, inexpensive supplement that makes your whole digestive system work like a dream. Gas? Bloating? Indigestion? Constipation that comes and goes? NOT ANYMORE! Solve your own digestive problems, once and for all." It's called Probiotic Advantage. Probiotic Advantage reduces the "bad" bacteria in your system, replacing them with good, non-gas producing organisms that help you digest meals properly. Excess gas can form when you don't have enough "good" bacteria and enzymes to break down food quickly and painlessly in your small intestines.

These probiotics do not dissolve in your stomach where stomach acid can kill the bacteria before it has a chance to get to the intestines. It has a super-tough triple layer coating and contains the four most beneficial strains of probiotic. One billion good probiotic organisms arrive ALIVE in your intestine, where they immediately help your digestion and more. You take only one tiny beadlet per day. It doesn't need refrigeration because of its high-tech coating and it costs less than most supplements. The four kinds of probiotic are B. longum, B. bifidum, L. acidophilus and L. bulgaricus.

Okay, okay, sorry it's so long, but I want to add one more thing that is in his brochure that I got in the mail today. "I strongly recommend Probiotic Advantage if you have any of the following: intestinal gas, constipation, bloating after you eat, indigestion, irregular bowel movements, trouble w/certain foods, a hard time digesting dairy products, problems after antibiotics, unexplained GI discomfort, food allergies, diarrhea, irritable bowel, nervous stomach, aches and pains in intestines, acid reflux, gastric reflux, ulcers, burping, lactose intolerance, etc."

He offers a 100% money back guarantee.

That's it. Any comments--especially from Heather VV?

Sharon Mello
Who would love to have a normal digestive system and who has tried so many things to "cure" the bloating, constipation, smelly gas, non-smelly gas, etc., etc.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey Sharon's back! new
      #197995 - 07/20/05 07:41 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Long time no see!

Anyway...it's just a decent probiotic from what I can discover. Always worth a try I guess. Is it pricey in your opinion?

Re: Mountain Home Nutritionals new
      #198008 - 07/20/05 08:05 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

Hello!
I havnt heard of this pill but I agree with Linz its worth a try! Are you going to try it out? i hope it works! let us now!
Melissa

Not Heather but here is my 2 cents worth. new
      #198035 - 07/21/05 01:02 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Sharon,

Yes I know of Williams…he's like another Whitaker, and others just like him selling over priced newsletters and supplements on the side as if they are something new and different. It simply isn't the case. Probiotic have been around for eons, but in the form of fermented foods of long ago….Like buttermilk made the old fashioned way, sauerkraut, yogurt, etc. We just haven't had probiotics in pill and liquid form for that many years. Here is a pretty good history and breakdown of information on them.

Williams is just selling what he's trying to make people think is a fancy schmancy different probiotic. One that is similar on the open market and even in some grocery stores--- that I carry in my purse (for when I can't take ones that need refrigeration and have a much higher live enzyme count) is Bio-beads…it's comparatively cheap.
Here is what is says about them:

Natrol's BioBeads Probiotic Acidophilus favorably alters the intestinal balance, inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria and promoting good digestion, immune function, and increased resistance to infection. Most acidophilus products claim a high number of probiotics, but their capsules and tablets simply don't allow live cultures to survive the naturally acidic, harsh digestive environment. Natrol's BioBeads, however, is a proprietary probiotic blend that's uniquely protected by an advanced triple shell that dissolves only upon reaching its destination. The beads' outer layer ensures shelf-stability, the middle layer resists harsh stomach acid, and the inner layer dissolves in the intestinal tract. This product contains no yeast, wheat, corn, milk, egg, soy, glutens, artificial colors or flavors, or added sugar, starch, or preservatives.
Ingredients:
Proprietary Probiotic Blend: 1 billion, *
Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Bifidobacterium Bifidum
Bifidobacterium Longum
Lactobacillus Rhamnosus

There are others on the market with special coatings not affected by stomach acid….do a Google Search to find them.

Frankly, I'm surprised you're not already taking both a probiotic and digestive enzymes at or before all major meals. For me the 2 go hand in hand with a SFS regiment. I personally maintain that's why I stay so stable, besides avoiding major IBS trigger foods.

Hope this helps. Lord knows in the past I've spent enough to help support these guy's country club fees by buying into a lot of their publications and supplements. Please don't be fooled like I was…...

Just a word to the wise…..

Good to see you back for a post now and then...

Kandee

--------------------

Melissa... new
      #198038 - 07/21/05 02:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...it is only a probiotic and if you search on this board you will find ALOT of info and feedback on probiotics. THe general consensus seems to be that trying a good quality one is worth a shot, but it's not a cure or majorly interesting treatment!

Re: Hey Sharon's back! new
      #198051 - 07/21/05 05:38 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Sharon, are you Portuguese? I know Mello is a Port. name. My heritage is Portuguese and Italian. Family came to Cape Cod in the 1800's.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Not Heather either, but ... new
      #198052 - 07/21/05 05:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

First, I wanted to say how nice it is to see a post from you. I've gone back and read some of the early Diet posts and Recipe posts and I enjoyed hearing your voice in them.

My GI guy recommended a probiotic called "Flora-Q", which also does not need refrigeration so long as temperatures stay below 77 degrees F (hah!). I haven't tried it yet because I'm doing well and don't want to rock the boat. Here's their Main Page (very annoying) and here's a shopping link for it that is much clearer, shows you what's in it, and will give you a sense of price - something to use as a comparison for Probiotic Advantage.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Mountain Home Nutritionals new
      #198064 - 07/21/05 06:17 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I've been using Jarrodophilus EPS for almost a year now with amazing results! It is also enteric coated so delivers everything to the gut direct. $11/for 60 capsules! I'll never be without them!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

VSL#3 is probably the best there is, just pricey.-nt- new
      #198163 - 07/21/05 09:15 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

--------------------

Hi Sharon!!! I'd second Kandee here, and choose VSL #3 new
      #198209 - 07/21/05 10:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

if you want the probiotic with the best clinical trials to support it. They're expensive, and only available online. Also check the research library here on the boards in herbs and probiotic section, as there was a recent study on probiotics just for IBS. I believe the strain was Bifidobacterium infantis 35624. This doesn't mean other strains are not as effective, just that they haven't had studies published (yet).

If you're not going for VSL #3, I'd go with the Jarrodophilus, simply because so many folks on the boards have reported great results, it's easily available, and cheap. There's definitely no need to spend a fortune on probiotics, and Kandee makes the excellent point that you can consume these flora naturally in fermented foods (soy yogurt and miso are two easy ways).

Finally, try taking your probiotic with a prebiotic soluble fiber supplement like the Acacia, which will give you a double whammy benefit.

Good to see you back on the boards, you Recipe Goddess you!

xxoo
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3924 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3941

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review