Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Taking Fiber...but now I am C???
      #19589 - 09/04/03 06:09 AM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

Hi,
I am normally IBS-D. I took Fibercon, but found that it gave me a stomach ache. Now I am taking metamucil, 1 serving of the wafers before breakfast and a glass of the mix before dinner. I had no cramping from the metamucil, but now for the last two weeks I have been constipated. Not dehabiliting, but nevertheless uncormfortable. This concerns me because I am taking fiber and following the diet. My diet hasn't changed too much from what it normally was because I don't like red meat and really kept a close eye on the fat content. I am sure I drink more water than anyone else in the world too... I drink enough to go to the bathroom at least every hour. I have been eating a lot of breads for snacks, but I am not sure what type of effect that will have.

Should I increase my fiber? Maybe start taking something at lunch? Or is there anything else that might be causing it? Could the metamucil be causing it? Or should I go ahead and have that double bacon cheese burger that I have been dreaming about to get things moving?

BTW, I have my first colonosciospy (sp?) comming up in the end of September. I am not nervous about the procedure, just about the steps before. I told my hubby that I was going to stay at my parents house because they have two bathrooms and we only have one!

Thanks,
Olivia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Taking Fiber...but now I am C??? new
      #19592 - 09/04/03 06:35 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!!!!

How much water are you drinking? Make sure you get TONS...16 8oz glasses a day is what Heather recommends.

HTH...

Welcome to the board!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#19595 - 09/04/03 06:44 AM
Olivia

Seriously, I drink at least 1-1.5 gallons of water. I have a 24 oz up at my desk and I refill it about 5 times while I am at work (8-9 hours). I also have 24 oz glasses at my house and will drink 3-4 of those after work. I drink water all day long and that is all I drink. Ans this count is not including any tea that I drink... just plain water.

It is rediculous how much water I drink. See... I emptied my cup just now and I only filled it about 45 mins ago.

Olivia

#19598 - 09/04/03 07:21 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Olivia
Welcome to the board.
I deal with C even with fiber supplements. I was taking six tablespoons a day, but not anymore.
My question for you is, are you still using dairy in your diet? Dairy can cause C and when I went dairy free it has helped my C.
You can also do a search about dairy on the board and find a lot of good info. about it.
Hope this helps and good luck.
BTW I drink alot of water too and have to go to the bathroom on the hour.

#19600 - 09/04/03 07:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello, I also suffer from C. Are you getting enough insolable fiber??? Sounds like you are doing everything else right. I know when I first started following Heathers diet I wasn't getting enough of the insoluable stuff. If I eat too much rice, bread and other solable fiber without enough insoluable fiber, my C is much worse! Try adding some hummus, beans, raisins or peas to your diet. Just add a little at a time so as not to cause an attack. If you are worried about gas, try Beano with your food, it helps me a lot! I have a bowl of raisin bran a couple times a week and even some wheat pita with my hummus. I can tolerate salads about once a week as well. Everyone is different so just add slowly and you should see an improvement soon! Hope you start feeling better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#19602 - 09/04/03 07:35 AM
Olivia

Dairy is out of my diet too. Well, I put butter on things when I eat toast (like once a week) and pasta, but it isn't really that much. That is why I was thinking I might be eating too much bread or something else.

Olivia

#19603 - 09/04/03 07:38 AM
Olivia

That is a good point, when I think about it I have pretty much eliminated insoulable fiber from my diet. I guess I will have some brocolli with dinner tonight? Do you think brocolli is good? I guess it is a good excuse to make ministrone soup too with northern beans...yummy!

Sorry, I love to eat!

#19605 - 09/04/03 08:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Good luck with the colonoscopy! The prep ain't nice, but if you're prepared, it should be ok. Do not plan to do ANYTHING the day before the procedure as I found I spent most of the time (when not in the bathroom!) in bed . Also, not a nice thought ( ), but I'd suggest you get some nappy rash cream beforehand - it helps. And warn your parents that you'll need sole access to the nearest bathroom. Good luck - hope your C clears up!

#19610 - 09/04/03 09:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I don't like brocolli myself, but yes, I think that would be good. And absolutley make the soup! I think you will find this to be the source of your C!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Thanks for the advice everyone - nt - new
      #19635 - 09/04/03 11:22 AM
Olivia

Re: Thanks for the advice everyone - nt - new
      #19647 - 09/04/03 02:06 PM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Hi!

Am also IBS-C,and an avid water drinker,i drink over 2 litre bottles a day at work,its become kind of a joke to people at work,as i am always at the water machine and the loo!
I think it could be insoluble fibre thats making it worse,as i've been going through a similar thing,and have slightly increased my intake of insoluble fibre,and am waiting patiently for a BM! Ah,the joys!!

--------------------
Morven

#19648 - 09/04/03 02:07 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Olivia,
I did the same thing when I first started Heather's diet. I was scared to death (Heather's book will do that to you!) to eat any insoluble fiber. I was only eating soluble fiber and I was terribly constipated, I mean doubled over in pain, constipated! Once I started adding things like fruit, green peas, green beans, raisins, a tiny bit of peanut butter on safe white bread, then things started moving. You cannot just eat soluble fiber or you will get worse! The broccoli may give you gas. I think I'd start with one of the other things I suggested. Good luck!

Oops! new
      #19649 - 09/04/03 02:08 PM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Oops,forgot to delete the nt bit when i replied,its been one of those days!

--------------------
Morven

#19652 - 09/04/03 02:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - it's really important that you eat insoluble fiber. It's a trigger, but if you eat it carefully you should be able to have plenty. Peel, dice, puree, cook your fruits and veggies, beans, and finely grind nuts, and combine with soluble fiber.

Easiest way to work them in safely is to blend fresh fruit into smoothies with rice or soy milk, and cook veggies into soups or pasta sauces that you puree. Blend beans into dips and spreads.

Also check here web page for soluble fiber dose info - most folks don't take enough.

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3518 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2357

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review