All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber supplements and meds close together
      #19505 - 09/03/03 11:28 AM
schwab

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Dayton, OH

What has everyone heard about when you should take a fiber supplement in relation to medicine?- Levsin in my case.

I can not seem to avoid having to take them close together for breakfast and dinner. I heard the fiber can increase the absorption and possibly effect the medicine. I have been taking my pill right when I get up and taking my fiber about 45 minutes later- heard the Levsin is digested in about half hour so thought this was ok.

I want to make sure I am getting the full effect of the medicine.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber supplements and meds close together new
      #19511 - 09/03/03 11:36 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I take Levsin right now and have no problem with taking my fiber supplements and the levsin at the same time. The fiber supplements are basically the same as eating soluble fiber in regular foods. So it would just be like eating rice and taking Levsin.

Personally, I have not noticed a difference if I take Levsin alone or with soluble fiber. Might ask your doctor about it.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#19523 - 09/03/03 12:32 PM
schwab

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Dayton, OH

Yea, that is what I figured too, but I even asked a pharmacist and she said an hour or two- I thought that was a little extremem and it did not seem as though she gave it much thought. Maybe it is more dangerous with meds like high blood pressure b/c it can increase the absorption rate.

Is the Levsin working well for you? What else have you tried? I bought the IBS Hypnotherapy, tale pepp capsules, Altoids, fennel, pepp, caraway tea in addition to Citrucel 2X er day. I am becoming even more high- maintenance than I was before I had my gallbladder removed and instantly became and IBS sufferer.

#19528 - 09/03/03 01:17 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

My doctor just prescribed it to me a month ago and although it doesn't get rid of the pain completely, I found it does dull it down to just an uncomfortable cramping feeling.

Before levsin, I tried dicyclomine and another one (was anti-spasmadic with valium in it) that I unfortunately can't remember the name. She also told me to start taking Citrucel until my next appointment in October, and stick with it even if it isn't working.

And of course, peppermint and altoids are a constant in my daily routine.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#19531 - 09/03/03 01:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the general rule here is that if a medication can be taken with food (and IBS anti-spasmodics can) they can be taken with soluble fiber supplements. If a med must be taken on an empty stomach, then it shouldn't be taken with the fiber sup.

A pharmacist is usually a good person to double check with if you're unsure.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19545 - 09/03/03 03:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

When I went to my doc a few months ago, he told me to take meds either 1 hour before or 2 hours after my fiber supplement.

#19575 - 09/04/03 02:24 AM
AlishaAm

Reged: 08/28/03

Fiber supplements are marketed as "laxatives" (they're not, of course), and medications are supposed to be separated from chemical laxatives by a couple of hours, so this might have been your pharmacist's misunderstanding. That's just my guess.

Alisha

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7502 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1439

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review