All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about diet , IBS-C and gas
      #1948 - 03/05/03 10:11 AM
NancyT

Reged: 02/24/03
Loc: USA

This is my 5th day on the IBS diet. I took the doctor's prescription of Miralax for a little over one week but stopped after having a few normal bms. I started on the citricel 3 days ago, and although C has improved, I've seen no improvement in the frequent gas. I'm basically on a soluble diet, with no dairy, coffee, insoluble fiber, or fats. I have had a small portion of white meat chicken and fish 2x for protein, but that's it. What is the experience of those who have IBS-C, with serious gas, in this matter?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about diet , IBS-C and gas new
      #1950 - 03/05/03 11:19 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I have IBS-D(not too bad now,though,),but I too experience a lot of gas,especially after eating. I ALSO, would like to know how to control it. :confused:

#1958 - 03/05/03 11:46 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Try drinking strong, hot fennel tea. It's very anti-gas and can really help. It's also a digestive aid in general, and really soothing.

Hang in there with this - you may just be adjusting to the soluble fiber increase in your diet, and if this is the case things should resolve in about two weeks. Try and use the unflavored, unsweetened variety of Citrucel if you can find it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1959 - 03/05/03 11:58 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Louise and Nancy T - I too had a ton of gas. I tried Benefiber and that gave me more gas. I tried all the others and they gave me more gas than I already had. I now take the methylcellulose in Fibercon (I buy the generic at Wal-Mart--it's much cheaper) and they work fine. I take 2 tablets at the start of each meal. Also, Heather and I figured out that the 500 mg of vit C I was taking w/dinner was giving me the evening gas (it's citric acid). I didn't have gas during the day (unless I ate something I shouldn't have) but was terrible after dinner and all night long (my husband ended up sleeping in the guest room quite a few nights!). I then told her that I took extra vit c 500 mg w/my evening meal. I cut that out and I've been almost gas-free ever since. In the morning, I take my multivitamin and that has 60 mg of vit c and that doesn't bother me w/gas. I guess 500 mg was a bit too much!

So, do either of you take anything with your meals (supplements, vitamins, etc.)? And, like Heather says, it takes a while for "things" to work right, too.

You never know...

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1960 - 03/05/03 12:28 PM
NancyT

Sharon, I also take a multivitamin with 60mg vitamin c and was told it works better taken alone. Anyway, I do take calcium supplements, Citrical+D, as it is not supposed to contribute to gas. The gastroenterologist said that it can contribute to constipation. I haven't taken the pills for 2 days because I'm all out, but I do have to take them because I have low bone density and my Mom had severe osteoporosis. Sharon, you really have a way of lifting people's spirits. I often smile when I read your posts. Bless you!!!

#1964 - 03/05/03 12:49 PM
NancyT

Heather, I have been taking the citricel, unflavored, and I just looked at the ingredients and I guess it's not unsweetened. They don't make it very easy to tell what's in the stuff, but under inactive ingredients it does mention sucrose. I thought sucrose was okay, but fructose had to be watched? You have been SO helpful, Heather, with your many suggestions, and guidelines, and I really need this to work for me as it really interferes with my life! Oh, I bought fennel seeds and have been drinking the tea, also. I'll try to be patient!

#1965 - 03/05/03 01:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Sucrose is just plain table sugar - it should be okay (it's definitely not a trigger like fructose). I agree, the packaging of the soluble fiber products does make it really hard to figure out just what's in there. Benefiber I know is just 100% guar gum - you might try that. Or Equalactin or Fibercon or Citrucel pills - some people tolerate those better than the powders. There is a lot of variation here from person to person - unfortunately the only way to know which supplement will be best for you is to experiment.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1978 - 03/05/03 05:04 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I have been slowly phasing into the IBS diet. I don't like to throw sudden curves at the stomach. I started on metamucil and wow, it was like the windy city in here, when I could manage to pass it. I switched to Benefiber, and it seems a little better. I think I just need some time to let my body get used to it.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#1991 - 03/05/03 07:52 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Nancy T - thanks for the compliment. Sometimes I don't mean to be funny--guess it's just the way it comes through my fingers onto the keyboard!

Anyway, keep a stiff upper lip, kiddo. Things'll work out.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2734 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2998

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review