All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How often is "normal"?
      #19413 - 09/02/03 06:46 PM
Radar

Reged: 09/02/03

I've been on the IBS Diet for about a week now and finding that my bowel movements are much more frequent - as many as three or four a day. Is this normal with the soluable fibre increase and if so, will this frequency continue or is it a "startup side effect"?

There's a lot less pain involved (thank heavens), but the frequency is a bit of a concern to me. Although I do recall reading that Mr. Kellogg (of Kellogg cereals) said 4 BM's / day was optimal for good health...

Anyone?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How often is "normal"? new
      #19414 - 09/02/03 06:54 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Hi there. I am not sure what is normal, but for me it's anywhere from 1-4 times a day. When it is 3/4, I get a bit worried myself. I always thought once a day was "normal." Who knows?!
leah

#19416 - 09/02/03 06:59 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I heard on t.v. that at least one bowel movement a day is what everyone is suppose to have. But I read in a health flyer that at least 2 or 3 is what everyone is suppose to have. My body struggles everyday to at least have one.

#19418 - 09/02/03 07:16 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I remember reading in a magazine once that a couple times a day to once every other day could be normal. It all depends on the person. How accurate this is, I have no idea.

Personally, I find that I can go 1 time to 3-4 times a day. If I feel like I've gone completely when I do go, I don't have D or C, and I don't feel uncomfortable any other time throughout the day, than I feel this is normal for me. Hope that makes sense!

#19426 - 09/02/03 09:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Mags said it well. If every bm is normal and you feel good, then that's what counts. In general, each time your body takes in food, it's going to want to eliminate. Most folks eating Western diets simply don't eat enough fiber (soluble or insoluble), they eat way too much animal protein (which is constipating), and they don't drink enough water. As a result, the only reason they're having even one bm a day is because they're drinking coffee in the morning, and it's acting as a laxative.

So, upshot is, if 3-4 normal bm's a day is what you're up to, then it's a pretty safe assumption that's what's healthy for your body.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19563 - 09/03/03 07:35 PM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

What kind of fiber sup. are you taking? When I started with Metamucil, I was having 5-6 BM's a day, and it definitely became a problem with my schedule. When I switched to Fibercon, I was back to 1-2 a day (I'm IBS-D). Metamucil just wasn't the right fiber for me.

Good luck,
Kristin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 872 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1055

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review