All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather...slippery elm
      #19226 - 08/31/03 10:07 PM

Unregistered

Hi Heather!

I did a previous post asking if anyone knew how much slippery elm you would take a day to help prevent IBS attacks of c & d but no one seemed to know. I tried to contact some companies but hadn't reccived a reply. The bottle only said how much to take at a time to help with d&c but not a daily amount as a preventive measure.

So... I was wondering if you know the amount you would take a day to try to help prevent attacks because I had problems with immodium and am very nervous to take it anymore. And I couldn't handle any of the soluable fiber supplements at all.

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather...slippery elm new
      #19234 - 09/01/03 12:28 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Here's a page with dosage info for slippery elm, and since it lists it as an IBS treatment, I don't see why you couldn't take it every day... web page

Thanks Tess - I'm not really familiar with slipper elm at all. -nt- new
      #19263 - 09/01/03 11:23 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

daily amount of slippery elm new
      #19297 - 09/01/03 04:32 PM

Unregistered

Hi

They didn't post the daily amount to reduce attacks.

I have tried to contact several companies and haven't received any replies except for one trying to sell me things instead of sending me the information.

So if anyone has the dosage amount for a daily preventive sprogram please let me know.

Re: daily amount of slippery elm new
      #19312 - 09/01/03 07:58 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Here it is, at the bottom of the page I posted the link to earlier: "one teaspoon of powder mixed with one teaspoon of sugar and two cups of boiling water or 1/4 cup applesauce. Take once or twice a day." I don't understand why this isn't the information you're looking for.

Re: daily amount of slippery elm new
      #19318 - 09/01/03 09:43 PM

Unregistered

Hi

From what I read a small amound helps with d and a larger amount helps with c and I have IBS-d.

I guess I should also say that recently I had to go to the emergency room because of such a bad pain that I couldn't bend or even move. I was still having bowel movements that where loose so my doctor kept telling me to take more and more immodium (up to 12 a day so I could go to work). At the emerg room the x-rays showed I was extremely compacted and had to take 2 full bottles of laxatives and do an enima. With my IBS and doing so much I did not feel well again for over a week and never want to go through that again. (Needless to say I switched dr.'s) I am very careful now of what will constipate me or make me go the bathroom non-stop.

I did check out the website you recommended and didn't see a specific dosage. I did e-mail to see if I could get a specific amount.

I have actually purchased the capsules so i'm not sure how much would help me. I confused. I'm very nervous about taking slippery elm and aggrivating my my IBS especially when i'm at work because I don't get breaks and it's super busy with one bathroom and often I work alone.

Thanks

Edited by Robyn (09/01/03 10:05 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 842 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2327

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review