All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heather, question on your latest Research Report-PLEASE
      #191056 - 07/02/05 10:25 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Concerning the hyersensitivity to wheat, beef, pork, and lamb. I interpreted the report as saying that they have found a significant number of IBS folks show antibodies to these foods caused by damage from IBS.

I have high gluten antibodies per a Celiac blood test, but do not have celiac disease.

I have not had any lessening of symptoms after being on a GF diet for 18 months. My chronic D has turned to C, but the pain, bloat, gas, cramps remain.

The report read that No correlation was seen
between the pattern of elevated IgG4 antibody titers
and patients' symptoms, such as pain bloating and
stool frequency.

Is this suggesting that I stay on a GF diet, or that it doesn't matter since the symptoms do not improve even though I have the antibodies and I follow the diet? If I start eating wheat and gluten again, will it cause more damage, or is the damage caused by the IBS and not the wheat?

I guess what I'm asking is if the report supports people who have tested high antibodies to wheat stay away from wheat or since the symptoms had no correlation, it is okay to eat wheat because there would be no impovement, which was/is my experience.

I was going to start eating gluten again today as an experiment because I have had no improvement in symptoms being GF, but after reading this report today, I am baffled as to whether the report is saying I should remain wheat/gluten free if I have tested high antibodies, or if it still okay to try eating the wheat.

Or is this study about IgG4 titers different altogether from the gluten IgG and IgA tests altogether?

Sorry such a long post,,,but I'm having a problem explaining myself this morning.

Thanks for any response.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather, question on your latest Research Report-PLEASE new
      #191099 - 07/02/05 04:23 PM
Anthem

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

As an asside, I just read a book on IBS today (authored by 2 doctors in Canada). Their solution to IBS = fiber, fiber, and MORE fiber, and (you guessed it) their chief form of fiber they push is wheat products of all kinds. I was rather amazed since Heather has me gun shy about wheat. I wish the medical community would get it together about what is good or bad for IBS.

Beth don't know if this helps.... new
      #191101 - 07/02/05 04:32 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I've been reading a book a friend lent me from the Coeliac Society of Australia and it states that anyone with raised antibodies (sorry whatever they look for in the blood work) should remain gluten free for life. The D was probably caused by your body's reaction to wheat. I know you haven't improved but it's likely that the other health problems you suffer from are partly to blame for the C and pain you have now. It also states that if you were to continue to eat gluten that it is possible that in the future you could develop coeliac disease. Of course there is a chance you may not but it definately says that you should remain gf. Hope this helps at all.
((((HUGS))))) PS I'm missing our chats. Email me soon!

--------------------
Amy

Bump for BETH-Did you see this?-nt new
      #191296 - 07/03/05 05:18 PM
doubletrouble

--------------------
Amy

Thanks Amy new
      #191352 - 07/03/05 08:37 PM
Augie

Although this isn't what I wanted to hear! I don't want to have to be on a stupid GF diet!

There is so much controversy over whether these positive antibody tests warrant being GF for life. I'v had three GI opinions (2 say no reason not to eat gluten, one said not to eat it) and one opinion from an Internal Med doc who also says to go ahead and eat gluten. The doctor who told me not to eat gluten is now telling me to try to eat it!

Yet, all the reading I have done, all the research, and all the opinions I get from others who also have had high antibody tests but not Celiac, tell me it is best to remain GF for life!

But this report Heather has posted is confusing to me, and I would love for her to explain it to me. I don't understand what the study is suggesting.

--------------------
~ Beth

I'm trying to look into this... new
      #191366 - 07/03/05 10:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's such a brand new article that the full study isn't even viewable yet. And the study was specific to IBS, so I really don't know that you'll want to draw any conclusions about celiac or gluten intolerance from it at all. You'll notice that the docs don't even know why the IBS folks had positive results to these foods. They hypothesize that it's as a result of physiological damage to the gut from IBS...but they don't give any reasons or evidence to support this. It may be that the sensitivity to the foods comes first, and the damage causes IBS, or it may be that IBS comes first, and the gut then reacts to certain foods it normally wouldn't. The docs don't even hazard a guess here.

I'm going to try and follow up on this in an upcoming newsletter. I think it's really interesting that after so many years of physicians saying "diet doesn't matter for IBS", or that "everyone's trigger foods are different", there is finally a medical study showing the exact opposite. Which is exactly what many IBS patients figured out for themselves years ago...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you so much Heather new
      #191446 - 07/04/05 09:37 AM
Augie

I reread the article a few times, but could not quite understand what the final conclusion was on the whole subject!

I appreciate you looking into this further! I know you are a busy woman! Keep us updated on anything you learn. I will be especially looking forward to this next newsletter.

And about the food and IBS...yes, every knucklebrain doctor I have seen has told me there is no correlation between food and IBS symptoms and I should drink milk, eat Burger King Whoppers and french fries, Krispy Creme donuts with no fear! After all, IBS has no connection to food! OY, so frustrating!

--------------------
~ Beth

All my celiac tests came back negative BUT doc say eat gluten free... new
      #191457 - 07/04/05 10:17 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

because gluten makes me positively ILL!

If I get a TRACE of gluten (say from spices or from putting the spoon i just used to make hubby's spaghetti into the mayo jar and then eating the mayo days later for example), I get SICK! I cannot seem to take ALL the gluten out enough to get comletely well. But it HELPS a LOT to keep it out of my diet. Just a thought here! There are tests that can be done to show if you are consuming gluten by mistake and they make a test for your food so you can be sure there is no gluten. You MAY be getting hidden gluten Beth Just a thought...

MY theory is that I have an underlying disease that is yet to be discovered that includes symptoms of IBS, GERD, and fibromyalgia that somehow causes either an autoimmune or immune disaese severely effected by what I eat! If I have sugar, dairy, meat, gluten, too much of certain things and not enough of others, I get SICK. *sigh* (Sorry to vent...but it IS frustrating that I got ZERO POSITIVE response for all gluten tests I had done and I can't TOUCH the stuff! Grrr!)

*phew*

Sorry so long

Just my thoughts here...

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie, about hidden gluten... new
      #191460 - 07/04/05 10:29 AM
Augie

What is the test to see if your food contains gluten? Is there some sort of testing device you can buy to put into your food to test for hidden gluten?

Also, I called McCormick company and they assured me that all their dried herbs and spices are gluten free. I use this everyday, so hopefully I can trust the company!

Aren't we the odd couple...I have the high antibodies, yet don't respond to the GF diet...and you don't have the high antibodies and you do respond! Maybe we have some sort of switched bodies here!

BTW, I am going to be getting my antibodies retested to see if they have dropped at all. But my the reason I was going to have them retested was not to see if I was getting hidden gluten, but to see if maybe I have antibodies from another reason besided being Gluten Intolerant. Now, I wonder how I would know if the tests come back with positive antibodies even though I am on the GF diet, how will I know if it's because I have a freaky body that just normally produces the antibodies and I really don't need to be on a GF diet because the antibodies are "normal" for my body...or if the antibodies are still present because I am getting cross contamination.

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth. Hidden Gluten... new
      #191603 - 07/04/05 08:48 PM
doubletrouble

A friend of mine lent me her coeliac list for foods. There is gluten in SO many things. Luckily in Aus our labels are pretty clear and if not I call the company. However not all labels can be correct. Things like thickners (from the 1400-1420 range I think it is off the top of my head) can be made from wheat, corn or potato. Technically Aussie companies only have to state it is made from wheat therefore if it doesn't say you have to call the company to clarify or assume it is safe. I've found though that a lot of overseas companies don't have to list it. I bought a pasta sauce the other day that by Aussie standards should have been GF only to find when I called them to be sure that it was made from wheat but because it's an imported product they don't have to list it. Call your coeliac society. They should be able to provide you with a food list like this (I think you have to pay and become a member though to get it). Even candy (well 99% of it over here) has wheat starch in it which contains gluten. So no more of my favourite lolly snakes. If I can help you out at all with any of this feel free to email me any time

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1584 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1361

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review