Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Identifing triggers
      #18989 - 08/29/03 10:18 AM
EmilyL

Reged: 07/29/03
Loc: Utah

Hi there

I could use some help in figuring out how to identify triggers. I appologize if this is further back in the posts and I couldnt' find it in the search.

How do I know if my colon is overreacting to a food or a stress trigger? For example, I fell off the wagon and had a whole piece of chocolate cake on Sunday. I didn't have any problems (other than the general bloating and occasional twinges, I've been expirencing since I went on the Bentyl. But on Wed I expirenced some severe cramping, and had to leave work. Would that have been caused by the food or the general depression and anxiety that I felt during a meeting because I couldn't hear the speakers very well.?

How long after eating something, should I expect cramping? If I am not eating quite as well as I should be. (for instance item has a dolop of yogurt, but is otherwise ok) Should I expect my colon to more reactive to stress triggers?

Any general advise would be helpful, thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Identifing triggers new
      #18992 - 08/29/03 10:33 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Everyone is different on this, I'm sure, but I find that stress triggers (like a disturbing phone conversation with my mother!!!!!!!!) can cause IMMEDIATE spasms in my colon. Doesn't matter what I ate or what else I've done, it's practically reflex action... I have to consciouly relax, talk to somebody ELSE about my feelings, sleep works sometimes! But dietary triggers can take 12 hours or so to really kick in but can LAST for SEVERAL days. Also, I don't consider a certain food a "culprit" until repeated trials, one time it could be a fluke but several times with the same reaction, well that's clearly not something I can eat. Does this help at all? I sometimes feel like an ongoing science experiement, just call me "guinea pig". But the information we get from this kind of observation is key, I think, to finding out what works (and doesn't work!) for each of us.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#18995 - 08/29/03 10:51 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hi Emily,

Try keeping a food journal for a couple months. I still keep a food journal even though I've been diagnosed for over a year now. I keep notes on everything I eat, as well as when I have excessive bloating, gas, or abdominal pains. Then later, if I eat a food that I think is a trigger, I can go back and look at another time that I've eaten that food and if it caused any problems then.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#19011 - 08/29/03 12:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Here is a list of IBS triggers: web page
It also depends on the person, the food, how it was cooked, when you ate it, etc.
You will figure out what foods bother you and when. Sometimes you can have an immediate attack, and sometimes it takes people days to have an attack based on something they ate. Work your way into foods slowly - and you will eventually be able to tell what bothers you. Often people have trouble with raw fruits and veggies. I do.
During work hours, I would suggest you stick with safe, soluble fiber based COOKED foods that you know have no triggers and are low in fat. Then, in the evening or weekends, try other foods ans see how you react. Take care!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#19032 - 08/29/03 02:02 PM
EmilyL

Reged: 07/29/03
Loc: Utah

Thanks for the feedback. . Thanks for being there guys! It really helped!

I already feel much better, due to a combination of things. It helped to talk about it on the boards, and the papdam (spelling?) that I ate today had caraway in it, which I think really helped my bloating.

I will keep in mind that 1) stress can cause immediate attacks 2) Keep a food journal. I am starting one, but I haven't made it an ingrained habbit yet. 3) That food onset can take a couple of days and last longer.
I also think for me that pms really triggers the colon as well. :P

again. THANKS!

You're right about the caraway... new
      #19036 - 08/29/03 02:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's great for spasms and bloating. You can actually brew whole caraway seeds like tea and drink it.

PMS is a big trigger too - check the research library forum for the gender/hormones section for info.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#19038 - 08/29/03 03:09 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

This might help also for the info.

http://www.healthcare.ucla.edu/pls/ibs.htm

They have learned more about IBS since this was written, but most of this still applies.

This is a little newer

http://ibs.med.ucla.edu/PatientDigest.htm

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1251

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review