All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Well, I am confused because I thought Heather... new
      #188588 - 06/23/05 09:56 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

has referred to Acacia as a substance the same as any other SF foods. Like when she says it is safe for pregnant women to use it because the body digests it like it any SF food. I'm probably misinterpreting something?

And I know others use Acacia as a SF buffer before consuming IF foods. So, I thought it was equavalent to a soluble fiber food and, therefore, would be safe and non irritating to everyone. Does that make any sense?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Well, I am confused because I thought Heather... new
      #188660 - 06/23/05 01:28 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah, but what I was saying is that you can find IBSers who have problems with all the individual SF foods as well! We're all so individual.

With IBS, there is NOTHING that works for everyone. Acacia works for more people than most other SFSs and that's as good as it gets.

Also, re. taking Acacia while pg...it's perfectly safe and although it's likely to go down better than other SFSs, there's no guarantee that it will help the pg woman's IBS. WOn't it def. won't do is harm the baby.

This is right... new
      #188823 - 06/24/05 12:58 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and I compare it to a soluble fiber food because so many people mistakenly think of a supplement as a drug. Soluble fiber is not a drug. Soluble fiber is naturally found in lots of foods. So taking a soluble fiber supplement is like eating a food.

And you're also right that lots of folks use Acacia as a buffer before meals. That's a great way to use it, and exactly how I take it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Can I just also point out here... new
      #189082 - 06/25/05 09:20 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Okay, now I'm a little confused. LitheLady is taking 8 teaspoons which is what I take. Are you saying that 8 teaspoons is too high a dose, period, or that if someone is suffering from pain, bloating, gas it's a sign to cut back on the SFS whatever the dose is?

Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Here's something I'm curious about new
      #189083 - 06/25/05 09:25 AM
Sand

When some IBSers say acacia makes them worse, I've always wanted to know: at what point? I mean, let's say you've been eating a high SF diet for a while and then you start having 1/4 teaspoon of acacia a day. Do you immediately get more gas, bloating, cramping? If so, then at such a low dose, it almost seems like that would be an allergy, doesn't it? I'd think that in the context of a high SF diet anyhow, 1/4 teaspoon of acacia would just get lost in the noise so it hardly seems like it could be just the fiber-ness of it.

Or does the gas, bloating, cramping not happen until you've worked your way up quite a bit?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Some people can't cope with a high dose... new
      #189084 - 06/25/05 09:44 AM
Linz

...other people need a VERY high dose. What I was saying is that if you're having lots of bloating and you think your SFS might be contributing (esp. if it's Acacia rather than, say, psyllium) and you're on a high dose, it might be worth trying a lower dose.

Remember that for most people, Heather recommends 12-15g SF from a SFS a day. So 20g a day is a high dose.

Re: Some people can't cope with a high dose... new
      #189096 - 06/25/05 11:10 AM
Sand

Thanks for the clarification, Linz. I know my dose is high compared to most - especially for D - but it's working for me for now, so I'm not going to mess with success. Maybe I really have a LOT of water to sop up!

--------------------

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! -nt new
      #189127 - 06/25/05 02:30 PM
Linz

Re: Here's something I'm curious about new
      #189134 - 06/25/05 03:37 PM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Sand,

I was on the lowest dose of acaia and I got the major cramps/D on the 3rd day of taking it. I get plenty of soluble fiber on a dialy basis, so it's not that I'm not used to SF. It was rejected by my body, I feel pretty sure about that!

Laura

Re: Here's something I'm curious about new
      #189137 - 06/25/05 03:45 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I had to start at 1/4 tsp. Were you eating anything else that could have caused the cramping?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1726 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9001

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review