All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
question
      #185363 - 06/10/05 06:43 AM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

I have been taking benefiber for a while and it never has bloated me...now it seems like Im bloated all the time...right where the ribs spread apart...it makes me feel like I can't get a good breath...went through this with metamucil...took it for a while and then it started doing that...but I need the benefiber...Ive been under ALOT of stress and have anxiety, so that may be it....
any advice would be greatly appreciated

--------------------
Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question new
      #185371 - 06/10/05 07:03 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I used to get that feeling b/c of GERDS before I started taking Nexium. Are you sure it is bloating and not something else?

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#185374 - 06/10/05 07:09 AM
nurturingkneads

Im pretty sure it's not anything else ubnless it is the stress Ive been inder and my anxiety, when i take a gasx it helps, when i burp

--------------------
Gretchen

#185506 - 06/10/05 12:07 PM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

The gas-x is helful, so is activated charcoal...you could try that.

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

#185971 - 06/13/05 08:36 AM
nurturingkneads

I have not taken benefiber in 2 days and the bloating is gone, but what if my D comes back???

--------------------
Gretchen

#185979 - 06/13/05 09:06 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Are you taking Benefiber tablets or powder? According to Heather, Benefiber chewable tablets contain sorbitol, which can cause bloating. ( web page)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Heather HELP!!!! new
      #194450 - 07/12/05 04:48 AM
nurturingkneads

I quit taking the fiber for a few weeks and the bloating stopped, now I started it again and its back...I dont understand, how it could start doing that...I need the fiber because I started to have more D again, but I cant tolerate the bloating...what can I do. I only take a teaspoon a day

--------------------
Gretchen

Re: Heather HELP!!!! new
      #194451 - 07/12/05 04:48 AM
nurturingkneads

no , its the powder

--------------------
Gretchen

#194509 - 07/12/05 08:18 AM
nurturingkneads

I have used fibercon, but not the other, but can u explain why it was ok, then all of a sudden not
and how am I going to get stable without it, I can't stand feeling like this with it. I have felt good for 2 weeks with the exception of having an attack every 2-5 days, which Im thinking its a rebound effect from the immodium...what are your opinions on that

--------------------
Gretchen

I'm not Heather, but here are some thoughts. (m) new
      #194521 - 07/12/05 08:46 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't know why Benefiber would suddenly cause bloating when it hadn't before. I can think of two things to try:

Do a lower dose of Benefiber and see if that helps the D without causing bloating.

Try a different SFS. Benefiber did not agree with me, but acacia does. (Although that still doesn't explain why Benefiber would be fine for a while, then start causing problems.)

Also, if you stopped the Benefiber for a substantial period of time, I think you should start over with just a small dosage and work your way up again.

I don't really get rebound from the Immodium, but it's possible you could be - and it may depend on how much you took.

One other possibility - a lot of people seem to be suffering worse IBS symptoms due to the heat and humidity, so that may be worsening your bloating. (Although if the bloating stopped when you stopped the Benefiber and started again when you re-started it, that seems unlikely.)

Have you tried fennel tea and/or Gas-X for the bloating? Or possibly a digestive enzyme?

Just some fairly random thoughts.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#194838 - 07/12/05 05:43 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I use Citrucel powder (there's a plain clear mix) and the pills. I've had fairly consistent success on that.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Re: Heather HELP!!!! new
      #194887 - 07/12/05 08:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - you may have just lost the tolerance you'd acquired. Did you have bloating the first time you started the fiber? What dosage were you taking before?

One tsp. a day of Benefiber isn't much. You might divide that into two or even three separate doses and see if that helps. Try adding it to moist foods - that seems to work better for folks prone to bloating than adding it to liquids.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review