All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Dear Heather VV (and everyone else)...
      #182839 - 06/02/05 08:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Thank you for giving me my life back!

When I joined the boards a year ago, my IBS-A was at its all-time worst. I was completely bedridden, with often uncontrollable D, cramps, and nausea. All I could stomach was rice and water, and even that triggered attacks. I didn't have the energy to even get out of bed. There were plenty of nights that I cried on Adam's shoulder, completely convinced that this was going to kill me.

Last night, I sat down to a dinner that included a cumin-spiced risotto with chunks of onion and tons of cilantro, *piles* of raw cherry tomatoes, and (low-fat dairy-free!) fresh strawberry shortcake for dessert. And I didn't get sick afterwards! A year ago, I thought I'd never be able to eat fresh, raw summer veggies and fruits again.

But that's really just the beginning. I rarely have "bad days" and I'm not afraid to leave the house anymore. Even when I DO have bad days, they don't strike fear into me like they used to, because I understand what's happening and know how to handle them. I was able to make a 9-hour road trip with no problems. I go out every weekend and do the things I love without having to WORRY. I can enjoy food again, but at the same time, I've really had a HEALTHY way of eating pounded into my head, and I'm never going back!

And while Heather's diet is the key, I don't think I ever could have done it without the support, friendship, and sometimes commiserating of the wonderful people here on the boards, so... THANK YOU!!

For the newbies, my best advice to you is to hang in there and STICK WITH THE DIET. It isn't a quick fix, but it's a lifetime fix, and believe me, that's a thousand times better than an instant solution. It really, truly, honestly WORKS!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dear Heather VV (and everyone else)... new
      #182847 - 06/02/05 08:45 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Casey,

Well, first let me say how so so so so happy I am for you!! I can clearly remember when you first started posting on the boards and how completely miserable you were. I remember how scared of food you were, and I can't believe how far you've come!
I am so glad that doing everything you've done has completely changed your quality of life, for the better! I know EXACTLY what you mean about how successful you feel to have a good meal with no reprecussions, and especially to be able to do something like a 9 hour drive!!

We are very, very lucky to have Heather around!! I too joined the board in complete agony. I couldn't work, I too could barely leave the house. Whenever I did, I got major anxiety attacks and D attacks and I was trapped in a really vicious cycle, where all I was eating was rice cakes and drinking water and just trying to sleep as much as possible so the days would go by a little faster - not the way to live!! I have since: travelled around Europe, moved homes *twice* (which included 10 hour flights!), gone back to University for a semester, held down full-time jobs (one of which I have an hour commute to every day, which would have been unthinkable!)... it just goes on and on! Thank you, thank you, thank you from me too!!

And thank YOU Casey. Not only have you managed to get yourself back on your feet, but you have been a great support to so many people here. I know that you are really busy, but you always take time out to do the pictures and stuff, and to reply to other people's posts to try to help them as well.
Even just sharing your success story is such a helpful aid for people who are just starting out, and probably feeling as helpless and awful as you were a year ago!
So thanks so much for sharing, that was awesome. It almost made me cry!!.. Of course, I am a leeedle emotional these days anyway, but nonetheless!!

**big hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

YAHOO!!! new
      #182856 - 06/02/05 08:51 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I posted recently too in testimony to the stabilizing effect of this diet, these supplements and the wonderful help, support and friendship of this board! It IS a lifestyle change, but soooo worth it!!! Yay for us!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Ok, I'm crying now.... new
      #182864 - 06/02/05 09:02 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Casey, this is just one more notch in your belt. Consider all the things that you have conquered in your life. You should be so proud. We're proud of you, too. You're such a strong individual. It wouldn't be the same here without you. And you're right. Where would we all be without Heather? She is truly an Angel of Mercy. I remember when I found her website. It was long before these boards were created. Tears of understanding rolled down my face. Finally something that made SENSE! I, too was living off of rice, bread and water while working. It was horrible. Today, I am mostly stable, and hardly think twice about walking out the door. Think of the thousands of people that she has helped. What an amazing thing! We are so lucky!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Dear Heather VV (and everyone else)... new
      #182881 - 06/02/05 09:56 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Oh Casey! What a truly inspiring post!! I second everything you said!

I'm so proud of you for everything you've endured and overcome!! I remember back when you were still struggling... you've accomplished so much m'dear!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Aw Casey, here's a great big hug and smooch for you!!!!! -nt- new
      #182903 - 06/02/05 11:17 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Aww, I got the shivers! new
      #182972 - 06/02/05 02:01 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

That's just wonderful, Casey. i pray that this time next year, I feel the same as you do now.I was never that bad, well, not every day, at least, but I surely have my days, at least monthly.
I'm trying lots of new things, and though I'm still not 100% stuck to the diet, I KNOW it makes a HUGE difference. And the support is a godsend for all of us.

And you, my dear, have been sooo helpful!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

if it works for Casey... new
      #182988 - 06/02/05 03:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

it will work for anybody. Wow that is so great Casey! I vividly remember how you were a year ago and I felt so bad! I am so glad you are stable and can be another example for people trying to get stable.

But tons of cilantro...I think *I* am going to be sick!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Bwahahaha! new
      #182997 - 06/02/05 03:28 PM
atomic rose

Sorry about that. I actually thought of you when I was typing that - LOL!

You will get there! new
      #183000 - 06/02/05 03:30 PM
atomic rose

It does take time. You weren't around for the worst of my struggles with the diet, but good grief... it seriously took me 3 or 4 MONTHS to see even the slightest bit of improvement! So if you're feeling better now, you're doing a lot better than I was - and I know you can kick this and get stable too!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2002 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5979

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review