All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Dear Heather VV (and everyone else)...
      #182839 - 06/02/05 08:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Thank you for giving me my life back!

When I joined the boards a year ago, my IBS-A was at its all-time worst. I was completely bedridden, with often uncontrollable D, cramps, and nausea. All I could stomach was rice and water, and even that triggered attacks. I didn't have the energy to even get out of bed. There were plenty of nights that I cried on Adam's shoulder, completely convinced that this was going to kill me.

Last night, I sat down to a dinner that included a cumin-spiced risotto with chunks of onion and tons of cilantro, *piles* of raw cherry tomatoes, and (low-fat dairy-free!) fresh strawberry shortcake for dessert. And I didn't get sick afterwards! A year ago, I thought I'd never be able to eat fresh, raw summer veggies and fruits again.

But that's really just the beginning. I rarely have "bad days" and I'm not afraid to leave the house anymore. Even when I DO have bad days, they don't strike fear into me like they used to, because I understand what's happening and know how to handle them. I was able to make a 9-hour road trip with no problems. I go out every weekend and do the things I love without having to WORRY. I can enjoy food again, but at the same time, I've really had a HEALTHY way of eating pounded into my head, and I'm never going back!

And while Heather's diet is the key, I don't think I ever could have done it without the support, friendship, and sometimes commiserating of the wonderful people here on the boards, so... THANK YOU!!

For the newbies, my best advice to you is to hang in there and STICK WITH THE DIET. It isn't a quick fix, but it's a lifetime fix, and believe me, that's a thousand times better than an instant solution. It really, truly, honestly WORKS!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dear Heather VV (and everyone else)... new
      #182847 - 06/02/05 08:45 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Casey,

Well, first let me say how so so so so happy I am for you!! I can clearly remember when you first started posting on the boards and how completely miserable you were. I remember how scared of food you were, and I can't believe how far you've come!
I am so glad that doing everything you've done has completely changed your quality of life, for the better! I know EXACTLY what you mean about how successful you feel to have a good meal with no reprecussions, and especially to be able to do something like a 9 hour drive!!

We are very, very lucky to have Heather around!! I too joined the board in complete agony. I couldn't work, I too could barely leave the house. Whenever I did, I got major anxiety attacks and D attacks and I was trapped in a really vicious cycle, where all I was eating was rice cakes and drinking water and just trying to sleep as much as possible so the days would go by a little faster - not the way to live!! I have since: travelled around Europe, moved homes *twice* (which included 10 hour flights!), gone back to University for a semester, held down full-time jobs (one of which I have an hour commute to every day, which would have been unthinkable!)... it just goes on and on! Thank you, thank you, thank you from me too!!

And thank YOU Casey. Not only have you managed to get yourself back on your feet, but you have been a great support to so many people here. I know that you are really busy, but you always take time out to do the pictures and stuff, and to reply to other people's posts to try to help them as well.
Even just sharing your success story is such a helpful aid for people who are just starting out, and probably feeling as helpless and awful as you were a year ago!
So thanks so much for sharing, that was awesome. It almost made me cry!!.. Of course, I am a leeedle emotional these days anyway, but nonetheless!!

**big hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

YAHOO!!! new
      #182856 - 06/02/05 08:51 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I posted recently too in testimony to the stabilizing effect of this diet, these supplements and the wonderful help, support and friendship of this board! It IS a lifestyle change, but soooo worth it!!! Yay for us!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Ok, I'm crying now.... new
      #182864 - 06/02/05 09:02 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Casey, this is just one more notch in your belt. Consider all the things that you have conquered in your life. You should be so proud. We're proud of you, too. You're such a strong individual. It wouldn't be the same here without you. And you're right. Where would we all be without Heather? She is truly an Angel of Mercy. I remember when I found her website. It was long before these boards were created. Tears of understanding rolled down my face. Finally something that made SENSE! I, too was living off of rice, bread and water while working. It was horrible. Today, I am mostly stable, and hardly think twice about walking out the door. Think of the thousands of people that she has helped. What an amazing thing! We are so lucky!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#182881 - 06/02/05 09:56 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Oh Casey! What a truly inspiring post!! I second everything you said!

I'm so proud of you for everything you've endured and overcome!! I remember back when you were still struggling... you've accomplished so much m'dear!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Aw Casey, here's a great big hug and smooch for you!!!!! -nt- new
      #182903 - 06/02/05 11:17 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Aww, I got the shivers! new
      #182972 - 06/02/05 02:01 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

That's just wonderful, Casey. i pray that this time next year, I feel the same as you do now.I was never that bad, well, not every day, at least, but I surely have my days, at least monthly.
I'm trying lots of new things, and though I'm still not 100% stuck to the diet, I KNOW it makes a HUGE difference. And the support is a godsend for all of us.

And you, my dear, have been sooo helpful!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

if it works for Casey... new
      #182988 - 06/02/05 03:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

it will work for anybody. Wow that is so great Casey! I vividly remember how you were a year ago and I felt so bad! I am so glad you are stable and can be another example for people trying to get stable.

But tons of cilantro...I think *I* am going to be sick!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Bwahahaha! new
      #182997 - 06/02/05 03:28 PM
atomic rose

Sorry about that. I actually thought of you when I was typing that - LOL!

You will get there! new
      #183000 - 06/02/05 03:30 PM
atomic rose

It does take time. You weren't around for the worst of my struggles with the diet, but good grief... it seriously took me 3 or 4 MONTHS to see even the slightest bit of improvement! So if you're feeling better now, you're doing a lot better than I was - and I know you can kick this and get stable too!

I just have one complaint.... new
      #183001 - 06/02/05 03:32 PM
atomic rose

WHY did you have to go and make that chocolate-applesauce bread so GOOD?! I thank you for my health... I do not thank you for my expanding hips!

But seriously, Heather... thanks a million! HUGS!

*hugs* new
      #183002 - 06/02/05 03:35 PM
atomic rose

Did I mention the awesome friendships that have come about because of this place, too? Thank you, my dear!

Aww! new
      #183004 - 06/02/05 03:37 PM
atomic rose

I'm telling ya, when you realize you've gotten it under control, you really do feel like you've conquered the world. I won't get cocky and think that I'll never have problems again, but thanks to Heather, I know what to do when those problems come up. We ARE lucky - to have found this site, and to have found each other.

I remember that post... new
      #183005 - 06/02/05 03:38 PM
atomic rose

...and if I didn't reply to it, I apologize for the oversight, because I remember reading it and thinking... YEAH!! The changes are so totally worth it. Congrats to you on getting to this point too!

I remember... new
      #183006 - 06/02/05 03:42 PM
atomic rose

I know I've stunk at keeping up with posts and commenting lately because I've been so busy, but as my own quality of life has been changing, I've watched others improving too - definitely you most of all. I remember how sick you were, and I'm so glad you were able to pull yourself back right along with me. Your experience and wisdom are valuable to the boards, and your support and friendship (especially when I was so whiny! LOL!) are valuable to me. Thanks for being there! *hugs*

#183009 - 06/02/05 03:54 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Casey it's great to hear your story and it makes me feel really hopeful! Thanks so much for your post!

#183027 - 06/02/05 04:36 PM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

......and I'm a newbie to the boards and on Heather's diet for 3 mos. now. I say yes to everything you said. It's like any addict......you have to make the decision to change and give up all those "no-no's" in your diet. I am doing much much better after having been down to that rice only situation. Thank you Heather, for the site and the products.

Casey! new
      #183092 - 06/02/05 09:28 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

This is a WONDERFUL post Casey! It's so heartwarming to hear and inspiring too for all of us here - from newbies to seasoned posters (or those somewhere in between... like me... )

I'm so happy that things are going well for you! And yes, Heather definitely rocks! Thanks for posting this! I certainly hope everyone on the board gets a chance to read this post.

Woohoo! new
      #183099 - 06/02/05 10:21 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thank you for sharing your story! It's amazing how much following Heather's diet helps--what a huge difference! Before I found this site, I had never spoken openly about my IBS with anyone. I feel lucky that I can finally talk about it with people who understand.

I've been stable for the past few months as well, and I also feel like I've been given my life back. Now... what to do with it? (I'm considering going back to grad school!)

Casey, I'm so happy for you. Your story inspires me to keep on following the diet and live my life as fully as I can. I wish you continued success in all areas of life.

Yay!

Casey! new
      #183181 - 06/03/05 08:39 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Casey, what an awesome post. I have so many of those same feelings about Heather and everyone on the boards but have never taken the time to describe the amazing effect you've all had on my life so poignantly. I feel the same way, though. Not only am I feeling better thanks to this diet, but I agree that I'm also feeling healthier than I ever have in my life. Not eating packaged and processed foods is a great feeling once you get used to it, and I don't ever want to go back, either. I'm so glad you've had so much success, and I agree with the others who said it was great watching you transform into someone with so much more confidence about food and as a result about living in general! Congrats on toughing it out and helping yourself and so many of us in the process. You're awesome!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Happy, touching, all-around great post! new
      #183445 - 06/04/05 08:03 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well. And while I agree 200% that Heather is fabulous and these Boards are a wonderful source of support, don't forget to pat yourself on the back for having the courage to find a way to help yourself and the determination to stick with it and do the work necessary to get yourself healthy.

And, thank you, for sharing your success story and, even more, for being such an outstanding source of support yourself.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks Casey-it's the first time I've ever felt like I could control my health. new
      #183467 - 06/04/05 10:34 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

It must have been a nighmare. I'm only a moderate-i know others have it way less, and way more seriously than I do.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Thanks for this post! new
      #183705 - 06/05/05 02:30 PM
julz33

Reged: 05/26/05
Loc: Long Island, NY

Congratulations on getting your life back! This post really gave me hope... I just started the diet 1 week ago and already I am noticing some improvement.
Thanks for sharing

#183716 - 06/05/05 02:50 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Casey,

What a wonderful post. I think you expressed what we all feel. I am also thankful for this site, Heather, and everyone here. I said on a post in the living room that I feel like I have always been here. Hard to remember life before discovering this site and diet.

--------------------
Janey

Congrats Casey!!! new
      #183832 - 06/06/05 04:02 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm so glad to hear your still doing so well... even with a few cheats on vacation and again at my MIL's yesterday I have been doing amazingly well... minimal side effects... some loose bowels with solid chunks of corn in them this AM because I let Bill's stepdad talk me into more.. I've learned... fresh corn tastes great and if I stop at half an ear (or a whole small ear) I'm fine, but 2 large ones comes out the next day! ah well.. and yes we road tripped to baltimore for memorial day weekend from MI and I had NO troubles!! thats the first time I didn't need meds to sit in the car that long on one of our trips.. back in Jan. I needed them to come home from GA, though I was ok on the way down. the friends we stayed with let me dictate my diet a lot better then mom did! she kept insisting things were ok when I said they weren't until I ate them! Now I know I truly HAVE to stand up to her!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Congrats back at ya, Amie!! new
      #183835 - 06/06/05 04:08 AM
atomic rose

Isn't it a great feeling to take a good long road trip and not have any problems? I was so happy by the time I got to NJ, I was floating the rest of my vacation!

I still haven't tried to eat corn again. That's next on my list!

And yeah, probably the hardest part is getting other people to accomodate your diet. I'm lucky that my parents are so used to me eating like a weirdo that nothing fazes them anymore, so when I visit, they just ask me what I'm eating these days and work accordingly. My future in-laws... eh, not quite so easy. But the struggle is worth it - I used to cheat a little to accomodate other people - now I say my health is more important than not offending someone, and it's true!

Here's hoping YOU continue to do so well too!

#183870 - 06/06/05 07:39 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Thats fab news Casey congrats!
Niki
xxx

#183891 - 06/06/05 08:30 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Casey, I remember when you were soooo sick. You've come a long way baby! CONGRATS. You deserve the best in life sweet Casey!

Re: Congrats back at ya, Amie!! new
      #183985 - 06/06/05 01:02 PM
khyricat

do the corn in small amounts- half an ear at a memorial day party was fine, 2 ears at my MIL's wasn't.. and actually my in laws are more understanding of my diet and more accomodating then my folks... and mom is on her own strange diet (IBD and gluten intollerant) and they keep kosher, so you would think since they expect others to meet their needs that they would work with me to meet mine, but no such luck!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#184001 - 06/06/05 01:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Casey! That's wonderful *hugs* *hugs* *hugs*

Now that you've got your IBS under control, what are you going to do next?!?! Disney World?!?

I'm REALLy happy to hear you are doing so well *hugs*

Thanks for sharing...i think many of us feel the same way. The support here is truly UNIQUELY SPECIAL and WONDERFUL!

Love ya Casey!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#184008 - 06/06/05 01:30 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

do the corn in small amounts- half an ear at a memorial day party was fine, 2 ears at my MIL's wasn't.. and actually my in laws are more understanding of my diet and more accomodating then my folks... and mom is on her own strange diet (IBD and gluten intollerant) and they keep kosher, so you would think since they expect others to meet their needs that they would work with me to meet mine, but no such luck!

Oh I'm so sorry Amie..that seems really strange..Now that I'm gluten/soy intolerant I'm even more aware of other's dietary needs and try hard to accommodate them..ESPECIALLY if I'm related to them...have you coached your folks as to what this diet's restrictions are? Sometimes, we as older parents just need some education. Kandee

--------------------

#184122 - 06/06/05 07:30 PM
khyricat

I've tried, mom kept trying to tell me that dairy was an issue in my head until I'd broken out in hives and could use an allergy... and she can't understand why fatty foods or salads would be issues... its kinda funny.. she'll pull out my obvious triggers, but ignore the stuff about soluble fiber working.. and then keep trying to tell me that if I cut out the carbs I'd feel better - no I feel better WITH them! I've given up.. my MIL is a retired nurse, and if we are going and she is serving something I can't she'll either put something else on for me or ask me to bring something I can eat... not a big deal... and Bill's dad is the same way when he's in town... whereas mom complains when I offer to cook in her kitchen at all, much less make soemthing I can have... she was upset that I brought a box of cereal and rice milk with me when we visited last time! I have just decided it isn't worth arguing with her over and to try my best when we are with them.. I doubt we'll go visit them in GA anytime soon and my sister is great with my dietary needs.. and we'll be at her house... for the babies bris- knowing her she'll just be happy to have me take over the kitchen if I want... especially because she'll have a new baby to deal with.. we won't be staying with them, but still..

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#184180 - 06/07/05 07:05 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I am so happy to hear that you are doing so great. I totally agree that this diet works and so does coming to this message board. I don't know what I would have done without it.

Keep up the good work and I really happy and excited for you.

Michelle

--------------------
Michelle

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4327 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5957

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review