All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
This is false info...you're right to be suspicious. new
      #5073 - 04/03/03 09:44 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm not sure why these freaky stories about soy are floating around, but they have no basis on medical studies or historical evidence whatsoever. In fact, there is extremely strong evidence that soy lowers the risk of reproductive cancers, heart disease, and osteoporosis. If anything, women in their childbearing years should be eating soy as regularly as possible. There is direct evidence that soy, which contains phytoestrogens, helps lower female cancers that are associated with higher estrogen levels and lifetime exposure (like breast cancer). It doesn't raise this risk - the exact opposite! It's hypothesized that one of the reasons Asian women have a fraction of the breast cancer risk that US women have is because of their high soy intake.

Here's a link to an excellent, peer-reviewed, medical study on soy benefits specifically for women's health:

http://www.nhir.com/tests/soywomenshealth.pdf

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: This is false info...you're right to be suspicious. new
      #5098 - 04/04/03 05:58 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

A woman who taught at the school I student taught at said her doctor said women who have had breast cancer should stay away from soy. The doctor said if you have HAD breast cancer soy increases you chances to have a reoccurance of breast cancer, which during my time there she did have a relaps. She used to drink soy milk all the time until her doctor said something. Have you ever heard of this?

#5133 - 04/04/03 01:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I haven't heard this. Everything I've seen points to soy as a way to decrease breast cancer risk. I haven't seen something specifically about cancer relapse, but if I find anything I'll definitely post it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#5265 - 04/06/03 10:23 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi torbetta,
this is Paintlady and I just had to write about my experience with soy and cancer.
Eight years ago I had Breast cancer, that year many surgeries and 6 months of chemo and the whole time I consumed soy milk everyday. Still do, in fact have increased my soy intake to deal with menopause (few hotflashes because of the soy!) and I have been cancer free for eight (going on nine) years.

Just my experience,
Paintlady

Re: Fiber Treatments in Canada new
      #5266 - 04/06/03 10:33 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

YOU BETCHA: All I can find is metamucil as well. I take the orange flavored kind and the taste is not so bad. For bloating, try fennel tea, Heather says that should help bloating. there are some posts on how to use it. Search archives for help.

Re: Fiber Treatments in Canada new
      #5267 - 04/06/03 10:35 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I haven't bee n able to dind fiberrific here at all. Heather. Nobody seems to have heard of it.

POLL new
      #5277 - 04/07/03 04:58 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Could we take a poll to see what fiber treatment everyone uses? Call it curiosity or call it research!

**If you are feeling generous and want to contribute - would you hit reply to this message (POLL) and put in your subject line the name, flavor and form (powder, tablet, liquid) that you use??

It would be sooo awesome if everyone helped out on this one. I think it would assist a lot of people who are wondering which ones to try!

POLL Benefiber Powder & Fibercon Pills new
      #5279 - 04/07/03 05:00 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Re: POLL Benefiber Powder & Fibercon Pills new
      #5280 - 04/07/03 05:02 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Thanks for contributing!!

How's it working for you? Any complications?

#5292 - 04/07/03 07:19 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I was wondering if the information was correct or not. I didn't mean to imply she had a relaps because of the soy. I was more curous if her info. was acurate. I am glad you have been cancer free for almost nine years! That is great!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 644 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23361

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review