Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pureeing and Cooking Veggies
      #18005 - 08/21/03 11:53 AM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

HI Everyone,

How does pureeing and cooking veggies make them eaiser for us to digest? I am not complaining... I just keep thinking that all the insoluable fiber is still in the whole mix when I cook and puree the veggies. So I think that, and then I get so nervous that I get D. I would just like to straighten this out so I can eat veggie soup... I love soups.

And what is with carrots... they are not smushable, but they are safe for us to eat?

Thanks!
Olivia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pureeing and Cooking Veggies new
      #18009 - 08/21/03 12:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Cooking and pureeing actually break down the cellular walls that make up the insoluble fiber of the plant. Chewing really well would do the same thing. The more the insoluble fiber is already broken down, the less of a drastic effect it will have on the gastrocolic reflex (do a board search for this term if you're unfamiliar with the role in IBS). So, eating cooked and pureed spinach will have one heck of smaller chance of triggering an attack than eating raw spinach leaves.

For carrots, when they're cooked they're really tolerable (think of how you could smush a cooked carrot, just like a cooked potato). Raw they're a little riskier, so watch for that. In general, any root veggie is a good bet.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 347 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 349

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review