All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
grams of dietary fiber vs soluable fiber
      #17858 - 08/20/03 01:18 PM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with IBS a few months ago and since then have done a lot of reading on the subject. But one questions I have is how do you determine how much soluable fiber is in something? Usually the dietary fiber is listed on food, but not the soluable/insoluable ammount. Is there a rule of thumb that I should know about, or just stick to Heather's list of high soluable fiber foods?

Also, when I am looking for high fiber foods, most food lists only 1 or 2 grams of dietary fiber. I feel should be grazing all day to get enough fiber in me! Are there any brands of bread or other foods that are higher in dietary fiber foods, or is 1 and 2 grams the average?

Thanks for the help!
Olivia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: grams of dietary fiber vs soluable fiber new
      #17859 - 08/20/03 01:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Olivia - Welcome! It's rare for a food label to breakdown fiber quantities into soluble/insoluble, so you do have to rely on just knowing by heart some of the staples (rice, oats, pasta, potatoes, etc.) and following the "is it smushable?" rule of thumb. The more smushable, the greater the soluble fiber/ lower the insoluble fiber. A banana is very smushable - a raw lettuce leaf is not.

There have been past posts on fiber quantities in foods that address this really well - check here web page and here web page for a whole thread on the topic.

It doesn't take much in terms of grams of soluble fiber to really help IBS. Many of the supplements only provide 1-2 grams per serving, but this makes a huge difference. The same is true of the soluble fiber foods. In terms of food volume, insoluble fiber foods will be much higher in grams of fiber per serving. So, in the end, you'll eat more (in volume) of soluble fiber foods, but more (in grams of fiber) of insoluble fiber foods, if you're just eating a well-balanced diet. You'll see this explained in the past posts too.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: grams of dietary fiber vs soluable fiber new
      #17862 - 08/20/03 01:43 PM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

Thanks! I will start to instigate the smushable test!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 889 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 722

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review