All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Update
      #17709 - 08/18/03 07:16 PM
tinam

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Florida

Thank you everyone for your support. Today I found out something new. I realized that I am not digesting food at all. Is this a symptom of IBS? Everything I eat goes right through me so I guess my body doesn't have time to digest it. Will soft foods help? Like puddings and soups? Will it ever level out? Today was another bad day. I could not leave the house and was very ill. I am ready to quit eating all together....

Thanks again for your help and support. I notice I am getting progressively worse and it has been real bad for a month now. I know I need to see a doctor soon.

Blessings,
Tina

--------------------
Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; Psalm 55:22

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Update new
      #17729 - 08/19/03 06:29 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

What do you mean you need to see a Dr. soon? Please see one asap. Very sure that the Dr. can help. The longer you wait the worse it will be!! Have you tried drinking soup broth's? Eating crackers (slatines)? Tried jello? If everything is going right through you'r right your body is not getting any nutrients. I have been where you are and it is definitely awful, so please go to Emerg or call or Dr. Sue

#17733 - 08/19/03 07:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, you need to see a doctor. Are you taking fiber supplements? Try eating plain white rice, graham crackers and plain bagels. Be sure you are drinking a TON of water so you don't become dehydrated. Hope things get better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#17737 - 08/19/03 09:57 AM
tinam

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Florida

I have not been able to leave the house at all even to go to Doctor's. I was on a website last night that talked about IBS and anti-biotics and anti-inflammitory drugs. I have had 3 doses of anti-biotics due to an infection in my mouth and also been on anti-inflammitories for an injury I substained in December. This site said that these drugs can kill off the good bacteria in the stomach so it cannot digest food. It said to go to GNC and get something to put the good bacteria back. My brother has gone to get me some today and I am praying that it works. If it doesn't help, I will have to not eat for a day or so then I can go to a doctor. It is hard because I have a gnawing pain all the time and I do only eat dry things but they go right through me.

--------------------
Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; Psalm 55:22

#17739 - 08/19/03 10:28 AM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Tina - anti-inflammatories and antibiotics are really tough on IBSers. The stuff your brother went to get - is it a form of "probiotic"? That helps replace the "good" bacteria that the antibiotics destroy. That may help. However, in the meantime, I have a different thought about what you should eat right now: in the past, before I knew I had IBS, when I would have a really bad attack of "d", I couldn't eat anything - not even a saltine. My doctor would have me eat NOTHING for at least 36 hours - just water. Sounds harsh, but it allowed my gut to quiet down. He said that the act of digestion - of even a cracker - just set the stage for the "d" to keep on flaring up. And remember that IBS isn't the only cause of diarrhea! You need to get in to see someone to find out for sure. So, even though you're really hungry, you might call your doctor and see if s/he would say this approach is okay for you. Ask if you can take Imodium, too - and maybe Pedialyte for the electrolytes? If you can drink water and gulp down a few doses of Imodium, you might break the cycle of "d" - and the Pedialyte would help you feel better. But you really, really, really, really should call your doctor asap! Does he have a friendly nurse? Ask to speak to her (or him) and explain the situation - ask if you can come for the first appointment of the day so that you wouldn't have to wait - or he might even open up 15 minutes early to see you. You won't know unless you ask. Praying you find the strength to call the doctor --- and that you recover very soon!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#17740 - 08/19/03 10:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you tried Imodium? Its non prescription medication that should stop the D, it is for occasional use only but it might help get things stable for now. Anti-biotics give a lot of people D.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#17754 - 08/19/03 01:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Please follow Kaybee's advice. It's crucial that you get into a doctor about this. Chronic, nonstop diarrhea that won't ever allow you to leave the house is NOT typical of IBS (which is more intermittent). The drugs you've been taking can seriously upset the gut, and the anti-inflammatories can even cause internal bleeding, so it's not at all safe to assume right now that you're dealing with "just" IBS.

Do call your doc and explain the situation. They should find a way to help you.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5340 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1063

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review