All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Restaurant Nightmare
      #1755 - 03/02/03 06:13 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

My parents are too convincing with the whole ibs thing. they dont really beleive me sometimes cause they say that all tests came back fine and i should be halthy as anything. anyway, they took me and my brothers out for dinner last night and i ordered the safest thing i saw, the grilled chicken breast. the whole rest of my family ordered greasy cheesy full of fat cheesestakes and i felt stupid being the only one with a chicken breast, but i thought whatever. well first of all ia sked for a baked potato instead of fries adn they refused, and then they brought me my dinner : a full plate of greasy, disgusting fries and a chicken breast. well yes it was a chicken breast alright, but it was SOAKED in grease!!!!!! i just thought i couldve went to KFC if i wanted this crap. i began to pick at my food and my parents got real mad, rolling their eyes at me, and forcing me to eat. i slowly began to eat it, and by thet ime i was done, my stomach hurt. i made a weird face and my mom asked me what was wrong. i told her that i wasnt feeling well, and my dad said "well eat your fries, you barley touched them!" i told them that my stomach hurt real bad, and my mom finally gave in and told me i could wait in the car. ugh! I hate ibs, i hate restaurants, i hate grease! i JUST THANK god that my stomach ache didnt last for long and im feeling better today.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Restaurant Nightmare new
      #1756 - 03/02/03 06:14 AM
ConcreteAngel

sorry, typos! that first sentence should read ARNT too convincing and im as healthy as anything

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#1764 - 03/02/03 07:33 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

So sorry you had a bad experience. I think your family respectfully needs a reality check. It's so hard when your family doesn't understand. Do you think your Mom would read some info on IBS? Maybe she can then explain it to the rest of your family. Remember, IBS is a MEDICAL CONDITION and you have every right to take it seriously. You didn't ask for this.
Sometimes, if the restaurant refuses to allow you to substitute, sometimes, saying something like, "I don't mean to be picky, but could I please have a baked potato - I don't mind if you need to charge me a bit more." Sometimes, the extra dollar or two (ALTHOUGH INFURIATING) can save me.
Hang in there. And, next time you are faced with this situation, take some soluble fiber tablets with you, and I often eat a bowl of rice or something before leaving for the restaurant. That way, A) I don't starve to death if there's nothing I can eat and B) the rice can act as a buffer if the grilled chicken comes out covered in oil.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#1771 - 03/02/03 10:20 AM
ConcreteAngel

Thank You so much for your concern! Yes, it is very frustrating when parents dont understand, especially for me, cause im a minor (seventeen) I did actually print out an article called ibs:suffering in silence and gave it to me mom, she said she found in intersting, but that was all, didnt change her opinion much. ugh, i guess i just have to hang in there

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#1780 - 03/02/03 11:58 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm so sorry about this. I think in so many ways it is much easier to have IBS as an adult, because you have so much more control over your life. I was compromised a lot by other adults when I was a kid and trying to control my IBS the best I knew how. Fortunately my parents were usually very understanding, but restaurants could be just awful.

I'm really glad you stuck to your guns - you have every right to speak up for yourself in these situations. IBS is a legitimate medical disorders - if you had diabetes or food allergies no one would try to make you eat something that would make you sick. It should be exactly the same for IBS.

If your parents are on the internet, you might ask them to read through the First Year IBS site for the medical background about this disorder, and other info too. Maybe they'll be more understanding if they realize what's physically going on. The site is web page

Also, your picture isn't showing up on your post. I checked your user profile and you need to list the complete URL for the website where your picture is stored. If you don't know how to do this, you're welcome to just email the picture to me at heatherandcompany@yahoo.com

Hang in there - We're all here to support you.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1781 - 03/02/03 12:33 PM
ConcreteAngel

heather, thank you so much for your kind support. it is very hard growing up with fast food junkies when you have ibs. i have tried the url for my pic but for some odd reason i am having trouble with it. i emailed it to you. thank you so much

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#1783 - 03/02/03 12:49 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Concrete Angel,

Nightmare seems to be a fitting word for what you've had to go through!! I can very much relate to it, because just last weekend I had a very unpleasant restaurant visit myself, just that in my case, I'm the Mum! It was my daughter's birthday, and we went to a Greek restaurant. In my innocence I thought, they will certainly have rice and I could also order some grilled chicken breast or so, (of which of course I would eat about a fifth and someone else would happily finish it off for me ...)Well, when the waiter brought out the food, I was in for a shock: the rice was red!! It had been cooked in a tomato-pepper sauce, with garlic and onion and everything. Of course I had him take it back, and then had to watch the others dig into their Suwlaki, and unfortunately the chips didn't even look greasy and disgusting but just perfectly crisp and golden, and all this colourful salad and the smell of the zaziki... To make things worse, my little daugther was so sweet, she was feeling so sorry for me even though I was trying to make jokes about the situation, and I was also conscious of the conversations at the surrounding tables having turned to topics like 'fasting' and 'weird diets'. I really felt like screaming and crying but had to make a brave face so as not to spoil my daughter's special night. They finally brought me some half cooked, watery, white rice and I swallowed it down, I was starving (I should add that I can't eat wheat, so bread was not an option!!)

There really are moments with this IBS, when it seems so incredibly unfair!

Susaloh

#1785 - 03/02/03 01:41 PM
ConcreteAngel

thanks susa,
your post made me feel not so alone, and that is an absolute GREAT thing

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1989

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review