All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bloating and distention article plus Passover help
      #173813 - 04/26/05 09:53 AM
tmc

Reged: 03/07/05

Thank you, Heather, for posting the excellent article on bloating and distention---finally some definitive info on this subject (I've heard so many conflicting things from intelligent and presumably well-informed physicians over the past few years!). For people observing Passover--just wanted to say that I've been doing really well (unexpectedly) by maintaining my 3x daily pre-meal SFS routine alongside my 3x daily post-meal flaxseed (acceptable for Passover acc. to many authorities) routine, but most importantly, have used quinoa (also acceptable for Passover) as a substitute for oatmeal, rice, white bread etc. It's been incredibly helpful--so if you haven't already, give it a try. (You can make it sweet for bkfst with cinnamon, brown sugar and peeled apples, or savory as a side dish with mushrooms, garlic, bay leaf etc. Pretty yummy). And--have been eating the minimum amt of matzah (not a good food for ppl with IBS-C). Good luck!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

good suggestions.. new
      #173895 - 04/26/05 12:26 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I've been eating a ton of baked potatoes with things too!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Bloating and distention article plus Passover help new
      #173922 - 04/26/05 12:53 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Say, sorry for my ignorance, but where is that article? Haven't been able to find it. Thanks-

Flaxseeds new
      #173930 - 04/26/05 01:08 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Hi,
How much do you take per dose and how many times per day?
Do you grind the seeds?
Have you seen any diff between using black and golden flaxseeds?Txs.

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

It's in the newletter new
      #173932 - 04/26/05 01:13 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Are you registered to receive her monthly newsletters? They come to your email address.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: It's in the newletter new
      #174140 - 04/26/05 08:10 PM
ptillen

Don't think I am. Are they reprinted anywhere on the website? (Hope this doesn't put me into the category of those who ask stupid repetitive questions...)

Yes, all newsletters are archived here on the site... new
      #174144 - 04/26/05 08:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

click on the "IBS News and Reviews" main link at the top of your page, and you'll see the great big long list of links for all past newsletters.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

many thanks, ma'am! -nt new
      #174149 - 04/26/05 08:30 PM
ptillen

Re: Flaxseeds new
      #174339 - 04/27/05 09:15 AM
tmc

Reged: 03/07/05

I don't know if it would be considered a dose, exactly, as it's really a food. I've seen recommendations for 2 tbsp/day, though I think that is primarily for the nutritional benefits, and not for IBS mgmt. Personally, I take a little over 1 tbsp 3x/day (i.e. abt 3 tbsp over the course of the entire day), and I have it at the end of each meal. I take it ground (you can buy it whole, or ground as flaxseed meal) as I'm assuming this breaks down the fiber somewhat, as per Heather's recommendations. I dissolve it in a little liquid (it's very tasty in soymilk--though not on Passover if that's a consideration-- it's fine also in a little warm water). As with all things, everyone is difft so you'll pbbly want to experiment with it. Also, I built up to the 3x/daily gradually to allow my body to adjust. Good luck---if you are able to tolerate it, it not only helps manage constipation, it's supposed to be very healthful (omegas etc.). Good luck with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3868 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 990

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review