All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questions for Heather - Eggs
      #17016 - 08/11/03 09:12 PM
mleonard

Reged: 06/25/03
Loc: Payson AZ

What is so bad about eggs? I went to the American Egg Board and it states that one egg contains only 4 grams of fat.
1 tablespoon of oil contains 15 grams of fat. If you cook carefully (and I do) would it be possible to use whole egg?
Thanks for helping me understand

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Questions for Heather - Eggs new
      #17028 - 08/12/03 08:49 AM
Fia

Reged: 07/21/03
Loc: Sweden

I can eat eggs in baked goods and food, like Swiss roll and
spungecake. I can also tolerate some light mayo with egg yolk. I guess you just have to try it, make a cake with no other triggers than the egg (I have a no fat recepie for Swiss roll with applesauce if you want to try it).

Fia

Re: Questions for Heather - Eggs new
      #17049 - 08/12/03 10:48 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Egg whites are just fine for IBS, it's just the egg yolks to watch out for. Much of their fat is saturated, and that tends to be more difficult to digest than monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Because it's important that you keep your diet low fat overall for IBS, this means that the fats you eat have to really count - they need to be heart-healthy and have essential fatty acids and be monounsaturated. So it's much better to eliminate egg yolks (which is super easy to do when cooking, as you can just sub an extra egg white) in order to allow you to use fats like olive oil or canola oil, or incorporate avocados or finely ground nuts.

But....if you just really miss the taste of egg yolks in something like scrambled eggs, try adding one yolk to two or three whites, cooking in a nonstick skillet with cooking oil spray, and see how you do. For other types of baking (breads, cakes, puddings, etc.) you can't taste the difference between whole eggs and just egg whites, so keep your egg yolk use to where you'll truly notice. And try this carefully...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5620 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 538

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review