All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
almost at the limit with acacia
      #168248 - 04/08/05 06:40 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

I am now finally at one table 2x daily with my acacia (once in morning with tea and at nite with tea). I now not feeling too well - just had a deviated septum operated on because it was pretty blocked - in a lot of pain - taking vicadin and an antiobiotic so the SFS will hopefully help if I get IBS C. Eating homemade soups, angel food cake, graham crackers, and lite fruit cocktail. At least it is all safe!!!!!! I am pretty down and out laying in bed with pain! Any other suggestions to help me feel better!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: almost at the limit with acacia new
      #168268 - 04/08/05 08:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

No other suggestions... unfortunately, both painkillers and antibiotics can wreak havoc on IBS, but you're doing the best thing by keeping up with your SFS and eating ultra-safe food. A probiotic might help too, but I don't have any experience with those... I'm sure someone else will chime in on that one. Good luck and hope you feel better quickly!

#168326 - 04/08/05 12:08 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

If you haven't been long getting the Acacia started, you may want to cut back. I only did 1/4t increases over a period of 5 months until I got to 2 1/2 T total ( I take 2/12 t before each meal). If I go over that - PROBLEMS! If I stay at that dose, I'm fine. But I had to go SLOW or I had a problem. Just wanted to share my experience. Acacia has really helped me a lot, but it's not for everyone.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

probiotics new
      #168337 - 04/08/05 12:45 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hey~
caseys right about the probiotics. probiotics help rebuild the "good gut bacteria" that antibiotics kill. i used to take a probiotic capsule, so theyre out there as a supplement but i dont remember the name. i DO however know of a yogurt [dairy-free!] called Wildwood Natural Probiotic SOYogurt. it has the live-active cultures that also rebuild that same bacteria, only theyre non-dairy. theyre sold @ whole foods but their site is www.wildwoodnaturalfoods.com hope that helps~im sorry youre in pain

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#168344 - 04/08/05 01:24 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I started off with 1/4 (cooking tsp.) and gradually increased to 2 (cooking tbs.) per day. It works great for me along with lots of water.

Everyone is different, perhaps if you start off gradually you will get better results. If not, try another SFS.

Good luck, I will be thinking of you.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

What do you mean... new
      #168520 - 04/09/05 11:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...by "almost at the limit"? You can still increase it by 150% easily! And Heather does recommend a higher dose for some C people.

Re: What do you mean... new
      #168557 - 04/09/05 03:35 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

Now I am VERY confused! I thought you could only maximize at 15g of acacia each day which equals 1 tablespoon approximately 3 times per day. I am at 1 tablespoon 2 x per day - please explain!!!!

Re: What do you mean... new
      #168563 - 04/09/05 03:53 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah so 150% of the dose you are at atm is 3T/day...and that's the recommended dose NOT actually the max you can take (heather sometimes suggests more for bad C's). It's half as much again...that's still a big difference in doses!

I would actually set the max dose at 30 grams a day, new
      #168594 - 04/09/05 06:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

which is about 4 level tablespoons. It's mostly people who are constipation-prone who need this higher end of the dose. I'm also redesigning the Acacia labels to make this clearer. Right now, the dosage is based on scant tablespoons, which are harder to measure. The new label design will have dosages based on level tablespoons. One level tablespoon has 7.5 grams of soluble fiber.

Just make sure you increase your dose gradually.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

And as a "C" I can tell you I've hit that limit plus higher and this is what happens new
      #168603 - 04/09/05 08:08 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

---nothing significant other than designer stools ....don't ask me why but they will have an accordion affect or beaded or something like that..but no, you won't get more "D" from upping the dosage, at least I didn't.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3848 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2413

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review