All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather - Just Ordered Your Books
      #15780 - 07/31/03 09:56 AM
dlt647

Reged: 06/10/03
Loc: West Chester, PA

Hi Heather and everyone on the boards. I was diagnosed with IBS last fall and with diverticulosis approximately 3 years ago. My IBS symptoms began after an extremely stressful period in my life (divorce) which caused an eating disorder. For almost a year, I was eating practically nothing (some days I would actually forget to eat!). Then I got sick and was on 3 different antibiotics in a one month period of time. A month or so later, I met the man who is now my fiance and started eating healthy. Unfortunately, when I started eating, I began to suffer from constipation, bloating, abdominal cramping and a very noisy digestive system. It was like my body was rebelling against the food. I then found a product called Super Colon Cleanse that helped the constipation. I ended up taking that several times a day for 7 or 8 months. Needless to say, I finally realized this was not doing my body any good. In the spring I was also tested for allergies as around the same time I developed the IBS, I also developed chemical and food sensitivities. The only food she tested me for was diary and I reacted positively for an allergy. After continuing to suffer with the symptoms, I finally saw a new doctor. She prescribed Zelnorm for me. It did cause diarrhea the first day, but I have had no problems since. I actually have felt better than I have in months since beginning. But, I have read that you can only take this for up to 3 months. I have decided that I need to take this 3 months while on the medication to change my whole diet around and get things under control. I am getting married in November and desperately want to feel good then. I ordered both of your books today but wanted to know how I get started while I wait for them to arrive? So far today I ate an Atkins low carb bar and some pretzels and am feeling pretty good. I also am taking citrucel (2 tablets twice a day).

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

Donna

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather - Just Ordered Your Books new
      #15781 - 07/31/03 10:00 AM
dlt647

Reged: 06/10/03
Loc: West Chester, PA

By the way, I have had many different tests (colonoscopy - which confirmed diverticulosis, blood, pelvic exams, ultrasounds, etc) and have come up with nothing. The only problems I'm currently having is with my thyroid (have a large nodule that was just biopsied) and am waiting for results of blood tests and mild endometriosis which was diagnosed by laporoscopy about 9 years ago.

#15782 - 07/31/03 10:02 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Donna - Welcome! I think your game plan is sound. You might tell your doc your goal of coming off Zelnorm and ask the best way to taper off once diet and other changes start helping you.

Here is dietary info to get you started asap web page and the diet faq web page

I'd definitely start a soluble fiber supplement right away - that will probably be key in getting constipation under control. Here's info web page

Make sure you're drinking a TON of water and exercising. Both are critical for C.

Also, if you want to go full-bore and take every avenue of help, check out the IBS hypno tapes (there's a hypno forum here) and see if you can start taking yoga classes. Both are terrific aids.

I think you've got a beautiful wedding coming up and that you'll be feeling good and able to enjoy every minute of it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15785 - 07/31/03 10:09 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Well, the thyroid problem could definitely cause (or worsen) constipation. Endometriosis and diverticulosis wouldn't be helping your digestion either. The good news that the diet and other changes for IBS won't hurt (and should actually help) the diverticulosis and possibly the endo. There's evidence that low fat, plant based, high soy diets are really helpful for endo, and that's basically the IBS diet.

Hang in there - keep us posted on test results.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 873 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 673

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review