All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Splenda
      #155282 - 03/01/05 10:11 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Hi everyone! When I was in the Health Food Store last week I noticed among other sweeteners, they are selling Splenda. This product has hit the news quite a bit in the past month. Does anyone know if this is safe to try if you're IBS-C? I'm afraid to eat too much of anything lately because of the severity of the attacks that I've gotten.

I've started taking Papaya Enzymes and Blueberry Acidophilus. Both are chewable. The Acidophilus those has alot of those "ose" ingredients in it and I didn't notice it until after I started taking it. I should have read it at the store but I didn't. The guy helping me was showing me all kinds of products and I only went in to purchase the Papaya Enzyme. I'm hoping the Acidophilus won't complicate things for me. I'm also taking Digestive Advantage-IBS which has Lactobacillus cultures and L Lysine in it. I hope I'm not over doing things. Any input is appreciated? HS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Splenda new
      #155285 - 03/01/05 10:21 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Splenda is still an artificial sweetener and can be an IBS-trigger. I tried it a few weeks ago, hoping to cut some of the sugar in my daily diet, and it made me horribly nauseous, just like all the other artificial sweeteners do.

What "ose" ingredients does the acidophilus contain? *Some* of them are just fillers (like cellulose) that are common in chewables, and may not be a problem at all.

I don't have input on the "overdoing it" thought, because I don't take acidophilus or any other tablets and such for my IBS, but hopefully someone else can answer that one for you!

splenda is scary new
      #155301 - 03/01/05 10:55 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

mom uses it sometimes, but I wont' go near it.. it gives 2 friends of mine who blood sugar issues but not IBS the runs if they eat too much of it!

If it gives healthy people the runs- and I'm predisposed to them I won't touch it!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: splenda is scary new
      #155323 - 03/01/05 11:17 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I have a friend who is perfectly healthy but won't tough the stuff. It makes her and her kids hyper!

I won't touch it either. I don't eat sweets....and that includes splenda!

You may want to try stevia. Make sure though that it doesn't have any added fiber.

Are you trying to lose weight...do you have blood sugar probs? If it isn't about either of these...you can also try brown rice syrup and molasses to sweeten things. Honey is ok if you are C as it is a natural laxative.

Acidophilus is good stuff. Good for you on using it! If it doesn't bother you...I wouldn't worry about it. If it casues problems for you...I would use a different kind in the future.

HFS are great...enjoy taking such good care of yourself *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#155336 - 03/01/05 11:45 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Before I was diagnosed with IBS-C I starting drinking that Friuit 2 O water which contains splenda. I could not figure out for the life of me why all of sudden I had D! So out of process of elimination I stopped drinking it and went back to being C! But then I found this site and I am pretty regular now with neither extrmem C or D. So no splenda for me unless I want pain and D!

Re: A natural laxative????? new
      #155436 - 03/01/05 02:06 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Wow, I didn't know honey was a natural laxative! I've become addicted to heathers honey chex mix stuff. I eat it every day & would eat the whole batch full if left to myself! I'm a C'er so this is great news.
thanks for the info!
Meryl

#155490 - 03/01/05 03:32 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

A couple of years ago I was on a "Splenda kick" because I was trying to eliminate sugar as much as possible from my diet. I drink a lot of iced tea (and like mine sweet--Southern style). I had no problems from it, but switched back to sugar when I decided that I didn't want to pay the extra price. (BTW I am not IBS-C, more D)

Steve

Depends on how much...in the snack mix it shouldn't have any effect. -nt- new
      #155491 - 03/01/05 03:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Splenda - Casey new
      #155778 - 03/02/05 09:25 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

I've been taking this Acidophilus for about a week now and so far so good. The "ose" ingredients are: Sucrose, Dextrose, Fructose, and Cellulose. The other ingredients are: Natural flavor vegetable stearic acid, blueberry fruit powder, vegetable magnesium stearate, beet juice, and silica. Heidi

Heidi new
      #155785 - 03/02/05 09:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The cellulose is a filler like Casey said. Sucrose, Dextrose and Fructose are all short chain carbohydrates (sugars): Sucrose is regular sugar and fructose is fruit sugar. Can't remember where dextrose comes from.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6073

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review