All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Fiber Choice tablets???
      #14924 - 07/25/03 12:51 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Has anyone used these Fiber Choice tablets? I saw them today at Target next to the Citrucel tablets. It says on the container that it contains 4 grams of fiber per dose, compared to 1 or 2 for other types of supplements. The ingredient is inulin (a natural vegetable fiber). It says "works naturally without chemical stimulants. It will not thicken or swell in your throat." Two tablets a day are recommended. Anybody know anything about these? It caught my interest because of the claim that it has 4 grams of fiber. I wouldn't have to take near as many of these as some of the other pills!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber Choice tablets??? new
      #14927 - 07/25/03 12:54 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Does it mention if the fiber is soluble or insoluble? Is there some of each?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#14937 - 07/25/03 02:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I've had FiberChoice and I love it. Inulin is pure soluble fiber, derived from chicory root, artichoke, or other plants. The pills are chewable and you do get a good dose of fiber per pill. This product is pretty new and I'm happy to see them on the market - more choices for everyone!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Q for Heather new
      #14941 - 07/25/03 02:47 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

I am using benefiber right now, but find it hard to remember to use it regularly. Is the Fiber Choice pill equal to benefiber? I have not used anything consistently enough to know how much of a difference it makes for my gut(shame on me, I know!) but I know it would be so much easier to take a pill then having to mix a powder. I know this is an unending topic that has been addressed before, but I am trying to become more disciplined with the fiber supplement and would appreciate your input here. (I am IBS-D by the way.) Thanks for all you do and all your time!!

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Re: Q for Heather new
      #14942 - 07/25/03 02:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi there - Benefiber is guar gum, FiberChoice is inulin. Different soluble fiber supplements work better for different people. I know this is helpful.

What matters is that you try to get 5-10 grams throughout the day of a soluble fiber supplement. If you can get that more reliably by chewing tablets, then by all means go that route. If you want to combine the tablets with a powder, that's fine too. Whether one will work better for you than another is something you'll have to find out on a trial basis. I really wish there was a clear cut answer here, but people really vary wildly in their supplement preferences.

If you find the pills work well for you, then by all means stick with them. It's not inherently better to use a powder, just a matter of preference.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Good news! I can't wait to try them. -nt- new
      #14949 - 07/25/03 03:38 PM
BL

#14964 - 07/25/03 05:40 PM
liz66

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Washington State

I just wanted to comment on this. I am IBS-D also and have used benefiber for about 3 months. However, I recently have had a lot of gas with it and had to stop it. I am still searching for a different alternative. I would be appreciative to know if Fiber Choice works well and doesn't cause bloating.

#14967 - 07/25/03 05:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

You might try Equalactin - I don't think I've heard from folks who had trouble with gas from that variety. Benefiber is usually a great option, but there are always exceptions.

- H

--------------------

#15073 - 07/27/03 02:27 PM
BL

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Fiber Choice tablest are really helping my IBS-C. I took 2 tablets at breakfast and 2 more at lunch the first day, and that was a little too much, I think. It caused gas, but not bloating, that first day. The second day I took only 1 at each meal and have had no problem with gas.
They are big, chewable tablets that taste like orange baby aspirin, but one advantage is you don't have to mix anything up or drink water with it like the other supplements. The ingredient, inulin, is 100 percent soluble fiber. The website says it occurs naturally in more than 36,000 plants, including fruits, grains and vegetables such as asparagus, artichokes, bananas, garlic, onions, rye, etc.
I sound like a commercial for them, don't I? Ha! So far, it's working for me. Hope it continues to do so.

#15153 - 07/28/03 05:14 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I've used these in the past before and I love them -- a little too much in the beginning because they taste so great. They also sell them in a plastic 10-tablet roll, so they are very convenient. They do cause gas if you take too many, so make sure you're gradually increasing the dosage.

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6304 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2512

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review