All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Down with an attack today-could use help!
      #14438 - 07/20/03 08:24 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi-I've been using Heather's book for a couple of weeks now and doing really well-no attacks when I stuck to her plan. I"m frustrated today though because I had a bad attack this morning and can't figure out what triggered it. Two questions- one, I had a problem a while ago with attacks after drinking soy milk. Heather suggested cooking with it first to get used to it. I made Will's dreamy rice pudding with it and did great. However, last night, used some soymilk to soak bread for french toast and made a banana foster sauce with some soy milk in it too. Is it possible that didn't cook long enough to break down the bean sugar like cooking rice pudding did? Otherwise, ate lunch out and had a grilled chicken sandwich with small amount of shredded lettuce and tomato on white roll. Thought that would be safe? Any thoughts? Finally, drank fennel tea a couple of weeks ago and that seemed to WORSEN attack. Today drank peppermint tea and same thing happened- seemed to increase cramps and D. Any advice or input would be helpful. I'm really mad to be missing this gorgeous weather(we don't get much of it in Rochester, believe me ) Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Down with an attack today-could use help! new
      #14442 - 07/20/03 09:04 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Linda - sorry to hear you're feeling bad. I'm not sure what it could have been. Did you use more soy milk than before? Or, have you been able to tolerate lettuce & tomato in the past? I can handle them fine, but I know some people cannot tolerate one/both at all. The only other thing I can think of, from looking at your post on the recipe exchange, is the carmalized walnuts. What are carmalized walnuts? Maybe this was the culprit?

Sorry I wasn't of more help. Hope you're feeling better to enjoy the gorgeous day soon.

#14444 - 07/20/03 09:46 AM
berky

Hi Mags- I appreciate your response. Yes, I've eaten lettuce and tomato as well as the walnuts (which are cooked in the microwave with water brown sugar and cinnamon to carmelize them) without a problem.I used a small amount of soy milk, but as I said it didn't cook for long, like it did the time I used it in the rice pudding recipe. The only other thing I can think of is I rode my bike for about 25 miles yesterday and maybe it put stress on my system, though I felt fine and drank plenty of water to keep from dehydrating. The weather wasn't hot or humid, which usually will affect me. So, I'll keep searching for answers. I am determined to overcome this!! Thanks again for your support. Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#14455 - 07/20/03 02:20 PM
busymom

Reged: 06/30/03
Loc: Michigan

Maybe you have a 24 or 48 hour virus. It's so hard for those of us with IBS to know when one of those gets us--it's so similar to an attack. Is Peppermint tea helping any?

#14457 - 07/20/03 02:47 PM
berky

HI-no, the peppermint tea definitely did not help, in fact it seemed like my cramps were worse and the bouts of D went on longer than usual, after drinking the tea! Today was my first time trying the tea, but I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago when I tried fennel tea. So now I feel like just sticking to immodium which is what I usually use during an attack. Has anyone else had this problem with the tea?? Thanks for any input. Linda

--------------------

#14458 - 07/20/03 04:00 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I've also had bad reaction to peppermint, when I tried taking enteric peppermint capsules, I had a very bad attack. It seems to really trigger my gut into spasms. I had an accupuncturist tell me that I had a "heat deficiency" and that I should avoid foods that were cold, dairy, and mint. I avoid almost everything raw, and know also that some people even those without IBS can't handle lettuce very well for some reason. It is frustrating, when your reactions don't seem consistent - I know. If I were to eliminate everything that I'd ever eaten and then gotten ill, there wouldn't be much I could eat. Hang in there!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#14463 - 07/20/03 05:18 PM
marla

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: pa

For me, soy milk KILLS me, gives me terrible cramps and the runs. (My sister too). Maybe you just cant tolerate it either? Hope you're feeling better soon. Marla

#14464 - 07/20/03 05:25 PM
berky

Thanks! You're the first person who mentioned that peppermint can trigger spasms! I thought I was going crazy! The capsules seem fine, but not the tea.

--------------------

#14465 - 07/20/03 05:28 PM
berky

Thanks, Marla. I'm not sure what to think,given that last week cooking the rice pudding with soy milk was fine. In the past I had drunk a large glass of soy milk and that got really really ugly, so maybe I'll just stick to soymilk in the Will's dreamy rice pudding recipe (which is yummy by the way if you haven't tried it!):)

--------------------

#14478 - 07/20/03 11:54 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Just wondering, have you tried rice milk at all? Maybe you would tolerate it easier than the soy.

Hope you're feeling better.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#14486 - 07/21/03 05:41 AM
berky

Hi Kerrie- no, I haven't tried rice milk, in fact I haven't been able to locate any brands in my supermarket. I've heard Rice Dream is good, so I guess I'll look in the local health food stores and give that a try. Thanks! Linda

--------------------

#14487 - 07/21/03 05:52 AM
JNFIO

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Tennessee, US

To help... the rice milk ( as well as Almond Milk and Hazelnut) are located in the non-refrigerated health section in most stores. Includes Walmart and Kroger, etc. You can find it near the sugar free items and the whole wheat pasta, that kind of stuff. It is in boxes, not cartons. It is sometimes cheaper at the healthfood store though, due to sales and all. Never seems to be a "sale" item at the regular grocery. It is very tasty! Comes in regular, vanilla, choc. It is all our family drinks now due to the MANY ill effects of cows milk and even Soy milk, both of which contribute to exzema and other skin problems, some cancers, digestive trouble, and more. Ofcourse Soy is still better than dairy in most cases too. My 3 and 10 year old children both love it too! Good luck.

--------------------
JNFIO is for Just Now Figuring It Out...

#14489 - 07/21/03 05:58 AM
berky

Well, no WONDER I couldn't find it!! I was definitely looking in the refrigerated section. Thanks so much! I'll pick some up today!

--------------------

#14492 - 07/21/03 06:11 AM
JNFIO

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Tennessee, US

Hope it helps. Can't say for myself and IBS. I have been off dairy for several months and just now getting into the IBS info. We are rally healthy eaters for all other reasons... no toxins, not getting sick at all, not wanting future degenerative diseases, general well being. This makes the diet ideas I find here hard to "digest". ha We were just starting to jump inot lots of raw foods. Live enzymes are so important. Eating cannot be this complicated, can it?

--------------------
JNFIO is for Just Now Figuring It Out...

#14520 - 07/21/03 11:17 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You can find a balance between the whole foods, raw foods ideal you're striving for and staying stable with IBS. You just need to find foods for a soluble fiber basis that are acceptable to you (perhaps brown rice, quinoa, barley, or oatmeal instead of white breads). You'll have to see your individual tolerances for these whole foods, but they tend to be okay for most (not all though) IBS folks. Add your raw foods carefully around them. Find a soluble fiber supplement you like and rely heavily on it. But get yourself stable first - and then start to gradually make adjustments. Sticking to whole grains and raw veggies while you're trying to stabilize can be self-defeating - after you're back on track it will be much easier to try and gradually incorporate these foods.

And in many ways your ideals and the IBS diet mesh perfectly - no red meat, no dairy, avoiding additives and preservatives, organic foods preferably, etc.

Just remind yourself that the "ideal diet" for overall health may take some modifications for you. If you have IBS, you do not have a normally functioning gut, and it's not fair to beat yourself up over this. You just simply may not be able to eat the pure raw foods/whole foods diet that someone without IBS could handle. And eating in a manner that constantly triggers IBS attacks is definitely not doing your overall health any favors. You'll find a good balance, just trust your own body and how you actually feel. If you feel healthy and strong and happy, that's what counts!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Milk contributes to cancer??? new
      #14554 - 07/21/03 09:47 PM
Josie

Reged: 03/28/03
Loc: Boston

Hi there,

I was just wondering what info you might have on soy milk and dairy milk contributing to cancer. I haven't heard of this before, so it surprised me to read it. I don't have any problems with dairy, so I consume milk (although not a lot), yogurt, cheese, frozen yogurt etc. Do all of these lead to cancer also or is it just the milk?

Thanks for the information.

--------------------
Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese proverb

Re: Milk contributes to cancer??? new
      #14592 - 07/22/03 10:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Josie - I've seen quite a few credible sources that link dairy intake to higher disease risks, including some forms of cancer. The physician's committee for responsible medicine has good references to this - check here web page

As for soy, everything I've read has pointed to cancer PREVENTIVE effects from this food - and soy seems to lower the risk of many other serious diseases also. This has been confirmed by tons of clinical studies. Here's a past thread on this topic with a link to an excellent resource paper web page

Just to see what happens, you might want to avoid all dairy for a few weeks (use soy or rice substitutes) and see how your digestion does. You might notice a difference in your IBS that you hadn't suspected.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

location of non-refrigerated milks new
      #14678 - 07/23/03 10:42 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

In my grocery store non-refrigerated rice/soy/almond milks are located next to the chocolate milk mixes - no other health stuff around. If worse comes to worse and you can't find it, just ask someone who works there.

#14683 - 07/23/03 11:05 AM
Fia

Reged: 07/21/03
Loc: Sweden

Have you tried camomile tea, it helps me better than peppermint. I have a recipie that might help you:

1 cup of oat
6 cups of water
a pinch of salt
some sugar for better taste

Boil like oatmeal for about 5 minutes. Strain into a pitcher, drink hot or chill it to put in refrigerator for later use. I usually make a big batch to put in the refrigerator and heat it to room temperature in the microwave owen.

Another tip is to take unsweetend baby blueberryjam and make some soup with hot water and some sugar.

Good luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3220

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review