All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tomato soup-Heather please read
      #14140 - 07/15/03 08:11 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Hello all out there! Heather recommended in her new book First Year IBS that it's ok to eat Campbell's Tomato Rice Soup. The weird thing is that after reading the label, I found it to have Cheddar Cheese in it. I am eating it right now and all is going well. Why is this? How come I can eat a bit of Cheddar Cheese and not have a severe attack? Why is this soup ok or is it? Just curious.
Leah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: tomato soup-Heather please read new
      #14141 - 07/15/03 09:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Well, knock me over with a feather. Either Campbell's has changed their ingredients or I somehow completely misread their ingredients. It's not okay to eat cheddar cheese - I'd never recommend a soup that had that in it. I'm really sorry for the mistake.

Switch to a plain vegetable rice or chicken vegetable rice, making sure there's no dairy or high fat content.

Thanks for catching this.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#14144 - 07/15/03 09:10 PM
Leah

Heather,
Thanks for the quick response. I thought maybe I missed something. I will try vegetable or chicken soup. The good thing is that it didn't make me sick! Whew! Thanks again.
Leah

#14157 - 07/16/03 02:58 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Thanks for this! I've been having the soup and giving it to my son who is dairy intolerant, not checking the label since the first time I bought it. The british version must be slightly different as there's no cheese but there is milk protein in it. Back to making my own I guess!

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#14169 - 07/16/03 06:20 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Companies change their ingredients quite frequently! I keep Kosher...and the Kosher symbol might be on a product one day and not the next! (I bought a tea that had a Kosher symbol on it. I sent my hubby to the store to get it for me when I was sick...and he called me up to tell me the symbol was gone! Back home I showed him the just finished empty box of tea...and sure enough it had the Kosher symbol on it!) It might be a good idea to keep reading ingredients on packaged foods to be sure of what's inside because ingredients change so frequently in processed products. ESPECIALLY if you have a food intolerance or allergy.

Heather, I doubt you misread the label! You have IBS like all the rest of us...and we're all careful with our food! The ingredients probably changed.

Sarah, I'm sorry you have to go back to making your own soup...let me know how it turns out!

Leah, I'm glad it didn't upset your tummy!

Hope everyone's doing well! Two days to Friday

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#14174 - 07/16/03 07:18 AM
Leah

I guess we all have to be label readers!! I think that the ingredients changed. I agree, they always are changing. I love tomato soup and will be looking to find one that's safe. I'll let ya all know what I find.
Leah

#14176 - 07/16/03 07:23 AM
Snow for Sarala

Leah,

You have a great attitude!

I think Stop and Shop or Shaws might have their own brand of soups. I seem to recall one of these stores making a tom. soup dairy free. I'm not sure if they still have this, I haven't looked in ages, and I'm not sure if you get these stores in CO? I wish you luck...let us know what you find!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: What about tomato without rice? new
      #14188 - 07/16/03 09:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I checked a plain can of Campbell's tomato soup I have and it didn't have any cheese or dairy listed in the ingredients. Could it just be in the ones with rice? If so, could you make the plain and add your own rice to it?

#14193 - 07/16/03 09:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

Mags, you're brilliant! OF COURSE campbells makes plain old tom. soup! (Too bad it's not Kosher anymore!) This is a great idea! Thanks!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#14208 - 07/16/03 11:47 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I think all of the tomato soups here have dairy in, I have checked them all pretty frequently to be suitable for me and Zach - it's probably the usual case of their being a lot more choice in the US. I'll have a good look when I'm over in a couple of weeks
By the way Ruchie, when you put 'two days to Friday' you were right on the button - Friday can't come quick enough for me this week, think I've had food poisoning from some BBQ chicken and I have been sick as anything. Also I get the results of my job interview...

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#14222 - 07/16/03 12:52 PM
Leah

Excellent idea! I will get some of the kind without rice and add some to it. Thanks for the info.
Leah

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 887 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1021

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review