All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
chinese food??
      #13924 - 07/14/03 10:56 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Hi.. I was wondering if certain chinese food is ok or if all of it are triggers?? Many of my friends go to this place for chinese buffet during lunch and I always turn them down... Is chicken fried rice ok? Lo mein noodles?? Wonton soup?? I would appreciate anyones feedback...

--------------------
Thank You

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: chinese food?? new
      #13925 - 07/14/03 10:59 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

There is a section in HEather's book about ethnic foods. And you may try searching these forums, because I know that there are posts about Chinese food. Generally it is safe. I would stay away from fried rice due to the eggs that they put in it. I would stick to steamed meals, veggie meals, seafood meals, chicken meals. Just make sure not to get anything breaded or deep-fried. I love the tofu/veggies dishes personally. Good luck and enjoy!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#13926 - 07/14/03 11:02 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You can do a search for some past posts on Chinese restaurants. What really matters is that you get a low fat, high soluble fiber meal. So avoid anything deep fried or in a greasy sauce. No red meat. Stick to seafood or skinless chicken breasts, veggies or tofu dishes that are steamed or stir fried (ask that they use as little oil as possible). Get extra white rice and eat some before you eat anything else. Steamed seafood or veggie buns are good, as are rice noodle dishes.

The soups may be sky high in MSG, and for some folks that's a trigger.

The buffet is probably not the best bet - you won't be able to have foods made without meat and with very little oil. So get something off the menu, and make special requests.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13937 - 07/14/03 12:59 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm sorry to be so negative but every time I eat Chinese the next day I pay for it. I always eat a bowl of plain white rice before the rest of the meal, I've never ordered anything fried, and I've stuck to chicken or seafood dishes. So what am I doing wrong? It seems to me that every Chinese dish (at least anything that tastes halfway decent) has some kind of sauce on it that is not safe. Brown sauce, duck sauce, terikayi sauce.... the veggies are corn, broccoli, and snow peas that are not cooked thoroughly. What are you supposed to do when ordering? Order plain chicken and plain veggies?
This is NO fun. I went out Friday night to my favorite place, a Mexican restaurant. My husband wanted to go and I needed to get out of the house. I ate no salas, no fried chips, no margarita like I usually do. While I watched my husband and friends enhoy all these things, I had plain water (I had to ask the waiter 3 times to bring me water without ICE), flour tortillas, and guacamole. I even asked the manager if the guacamole had any preservatives in it and he said no. I was in agony all night and the next day! What in the hell am I supposed to eat? Sorry to vent but I am very discourgaged. My birthday is this week, I have company coming, and I have no idea what to cook while they are here. We would like to take them out to dinner one night. Where? I guess I can bring my saltine crackers and watch everyone else eat! He's already talking about what kind of cake to get me. I told him he can get one, but I can't eat any of it.

#13939 - 07/14/03 01:03 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Are you going to the same place to eat each time, Beaglelover? I know there are certain Chinese restaurants that make me horribly sick, and others that have no effect on me. Maybe try going to a different restaurant? They might cook their food different.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#13953 - 07/14/03 01:55 PM
BL

Yes, lately, we have been going to the same place, only because we have a new restaurant near our house and my husband and boys love it. Now they don't want to go to the other places because they are not as good. I have been trying different things each time and always seem to have problems. I think I may just talk to the manager next time about my problem and see what he suggests. Thanks!

#13959 - 07/14/03 02:05 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Are you planning to do a sit-down meal or a buffet for your company? I always find buffets easier because I can cook in advance (cut down on the stress that always makes things worse ) and I can do my own lowfat versions eg pasta salad with fat free dressing, rice salads, chicken breast strips instead of wings or legs, lots of fresh bread etc. I figure that if I'm providing the food, it might as well be something I can eat! I used to do everyone else's favourites but there's no point if it makes you feel ill in your own home

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#14007 - 07/14/03 05:27 PM
BL

I just looked through my recipe book and I have no idea what I'm going to do! My little niece and nephew are 8 and 11, and are pretty picky eaters. My brother-in-law cannot have anything with milk in it. Between that and my IBS, I'm stumped! I may just send them all out to McDonald's! Besides, the day they arrive is my birthday. We would go out to eat to celebrate (not that I can do that safely) but my husband won't be getting home from work late that night so that is out of the question. Help! I have a George Foreman grill. Any suggestions there?

Re: chinese food?? (And Mexican) new
      #14016 - 07/14/03 07:04 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Mexican food has GOT to be the hardest to order from. A little trick is to order chicken fajitas. Now you know they are going to be made with oil, but here is a way I get rid of most of it. What I do is to ask for a million paper napkins. Well, not a million, but LOTS. If they use cloth at the tables I get the "bar" napkins that are always paper. I lay the chicken on the paper napkins and then I squish and squeeze and push as much oil out of the chicken as possible, all done very subtlety without trying to call attention to myself. (Sometimes that's a little hard to do but I just explain the added oil/fat will make me sick) . If you can't tolerate the veggies, forget them. I CAN do the onions, surprisingly. Then eat with only plain uncooked CORN tortillas, not flour. This is assuming you can eat corn. And ask them NOT to butter or oil them before they bring the tortillas. (Many places do.) The flour ones usually have fat right in them where most of all the corn ones don't. The Mexican rice I scrutinize carefully. Sometimes it is rather dry indicating they've taken the cheap route and only cooked with a little tomato juice for color. Other times it looks loaded with fat. Then the taste test. If it tastes like it has fat, it usually DOES have fat. Avocados? As good as they are they have a high fat content! Avacados gave me a gall bladder attack 10 years ago that sent me into surgery, then I didn't touch them for nearly 9 years and when I started back on them within months I got IBS. Don't think there is a connection with IBS but you better believe, as much as I love them I won't touch them.
The "squishing and squeezing" technique may look weird to others in your party but who cares? (I dumped the vanity years ago.) I did that long ago for my husband who had heart problems and had to eat low fat even when out. He wouldn't do the squish/squeeze thing, natch, but I DID. Now I have to do it for ME. I still do it at seafood restaurants. Despite the term "broiled" they will still load up a perfectly good piece of low fat white fish with oil and seasonings to make it taste/look/and cook better. Sometimes, even if you ask them to NOT use oils/fats they do out of habit. I've even been known to ask for extra bread to "squish and squeeze". It soaks up fat and oil like crazy. Ever notice how some breakfast buffets will have bacon sitting on plain white bread? It soaks up the grease.
As to Chinese buffet places, I start with the plain white rice and choose only the all vegetable dishes that look like they've been prepared in a broth/corn starch base. Mushrooms are safe for me as is "fake" crab and shrimp. Nothing fried, period. Fortune cookies are usually safe. I don't drink the tea and often bring my own peppermint tea bags and ask for hot water. I sometimes get strange looks but if they are pleasant about honoring my requests, what I would have paid for a beverage gets added into their tip.
Another little tip is to only eat half of what you order, no matter what it is. We all have a tendency to eat more out. This may or may not help you, but had to share what I do just in case you want to try it sometime. It sure has it made it easier for me to join the party instead of wishing I'd stayed home.
Kandee

--------------------

#14027 - 07/14/03 10:39 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Unlike some board members I have had the chance lately to eat at two different Chinese buffets and I survived. This is what I did: First, I skipped the entire table that held the soups and fried dishes. I might have had chicken-rice soup but there wasn't any out, and none of the other soups had a soluble-fiber base. Then I covered an entire plate with white rice, then I added a bite or so of the many different entrees that I judged safe: steamed chicken and vegies, steamed mixed seafood, seafood and vegies in a clear sauce, and similar entrees--no red meat, nothing obviously greasy (so skip the lo mein and the fried rice--but sometimes rice noodles are okay), and absolutely nothing deep-fried. Finally, for dessert I chose Jell-O cubes (I know they're inauthentic, but they're safe) and fortune cookies instead of pastries and soft-serve ice cream. Oh, and one buffet had a salad bar (lettuce etc.)--I skipped that completely as well. I hope this helps.

Re: Foreman Grill new
      #14030 - 07/14/03 10:56 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

How about having an indoor cookout? You could do lots of bread, baked potatoes, potato salad etc then have different meats ready for everyone and slap them on the grill when they want them. The little ones could have burgers, the older ones steak and you could do some nice chicken breast, perhaps marinaded in lemon and herbs, or perhaps some fish. I'm not sure what you can tolerate.
One of the best dinners I had when my friend came over with her fussy 3 year old was a baked potato dinner with loads of different fillings on the table. That way everyone got something they liked, as we have 2 with ibs and 1 dairy and additives intolerance in our family!
Hope this has helped a bit, have a great birthday whatever *hugs*

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Re: chinese food?? try vietnamese new
      #14033 - 07/14/03 11:14 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

the bad news for me (and apparently others)is chinese buffets can be suicide. all the ones near me are incredibly greasy and despite the fact they have menus, they still manage to screw things up.

the good news is that i rarely eat chinese, but now eat a diet chocked full of vietnamese goodies. i love the fresh spring rolls (not fried) which are in a flour or rice paper, filled with rice noodles, a few soy bean sprouts, and i dip them in the peanut sauce which i know can be a risk for some but i do ok with. you can also get meats or tofu in the rolls. they also make yummy lemongrass tofu, vermicelli noodle bowls, and other wonderful fresh foods which are not all greasy. of course i get a lot of white rice and drink the hot green tea (i always forget to bring my mint tea). if anyone reading this lives in houston, tx i'm talking about mai's on milam.

we also have many asian markets in the area where you can buy all the ingredients to make it at home. spring rolls are best served fresh and tend to harden in a few hours, so making them at home when you are ready is recommended. anyway, they can be tricky to roll, but i got a sushi roller which does help. the workers at the market are always on hand to give cooking tips if you need them and will help you translate labels that aren't acccessible to those of us that can't read the asian languages (yea, that's me). i have also bought their sweeping brooms and will never go back to the traditional western ones again. other neat things are the drip coffe makers (i use them for tea), and i LOVE their dishes. you can buy the large and tiny plastic bowls really cheap. i use them for everything in the kitchen for holding dipping sauces i don't want running all over my plate, holding ingredients, etc. plus are dishwasher safe.

another benefit is the tea aisle is HUGE!!! so many teas that are good for us and they sell fresh ginger in the produce area very inexpensive and wonderful. another benefit is fortune cookies by the giagantic bag full (another ibs treat). i get frozen mushroom dumplings that i use in veggie won ton soup that is wonderful.

as you can see i'm really enthused about veitnamese food and getting into some cultural areas as well. i've found it to be very ibs friendly. if you have any questions about rolling spring rolls i'll be glad to help or other questions i'll be glad to take a stab at. you might want to privately email me as i check the board a few times a week.

good luck!

amy

#14049 - 07/15/03 06:41 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Thank you all for your feedback.. it is much appreciated. I love this board, you can get so many good ideas from just a single question...

--------------------
Thank You

#14058 - 07/15/03 08:10 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I didn't read the other responses so forgive me if this has already been said. When we order Chinese, I ask them to make me a steamed chicken and veggie meal, with no sauce. It is very tolerable for me, steamed chicken (NOT breaded or fried), white rice, and all the veggies do okay but I pick out the broccoli or pass it to my husband. I also skip the eggroll, big problems there. I do miss the sauce but I tolerate it much better without it. Good luck!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#14060 - 07/15/03 08:31 AM
Catherine

Reged: 05/28/03

I almost always have trouble eating Chinese food out (although I can make Chinese food at home and eat it with no problems!) There are a very few Chinese restaurants where I can eat selected dishes - but there are many others where I have problems even from rice and steamed or sauteed vegetables! I think, despite what they say, many Chinese restaurants are STILL adding MSG to everything - including vegetables. I know I get migraines from MSG, and I get migraines after eating at certain Chinese restaurants - it CANNOT be coincidence! Also, a lot of their "low-fat" options still taste suspiciously greasy to me. The restaurants I have the best luck at are those that specialize in vegetarian options as opposed to those who just offer several sauteed vegetable opportunities. Not that you have to order the vegetarian options, but it seems like those restaurants offer healthier food in general. Also, I avoid buffets of any kind and order off menus - it always seems like "menu food" sits on my stomach better, no matter what kind of restaurant it is!

What a great post!! -nt- new
      #14071 - 07/15/03 10:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: chinese food?? try vietnamese new
      #14083 - 07/15/03 11:29 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Your post was fantastic and made me want to go out to find a Vietnamese restaurant/market. Unfortunately where I live that would mean a two and a half hour trip to LA. You folks in big cities have it made. I will however check in our one and only Asian market here to see what they have and go from there. Thanks again. Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8325 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3351

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review