All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Organic foods and IBS-fear for the future............?
      #139191 - 01/16/05 10:31 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Dear Hearts;
I was reading a number of posts regarding mysterious attacks and the responses more often then not referred to the necessity of eating organic foods ONLY.So far,I haven't been eating organic foods and following the diet has worked for me most days-but especially since my academic career will be resuming soon,I fear continuing this way.Is it really THAT important to eat organic foods to maintain stability?I live in New York City and organic foods here mostly cost a FORTUNE-they're a luxury for the wealthy!What do I do?Suggestions?
Andrew L.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't and I do fine... new
      #139208 - 01/17/05 02:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...though I do think organic eggs and meat are more important than veg so if you can only get a bit organic, get that. It's a good way to go, but it is often expensive.

Re: Organic foods and IBS-fear for the future............? new
      #139210 - 01/17/05 02:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't know... I'm on a fixed, limited income, and I refuse to spend the extra money on organic food. I consider it a complete waste. (Sorry, guys!) *However*, I do eat as few foods as possible that are packaged, processed, and otherwise have additives and preservatives in them, and I really feel that counts for something. I make my own bread, I look for poultry that doesn't have broth added, etc etc.

Now, I don't exactly consider myself "stable", so you can take this with a grain of salt. But I'm doing a lot better than I was, so that's just my 2 cents.

#139340 - 01/17/05 11:50 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Dear Andrew,

I am stable for the past year and I live in NYC too. I eat lots of non-organic food and I'm fine. I do eat mostly cooked from scratch food rather than processed, but there's plenty of exceptions to that too.

I'm really glad to hear the diet has been working for you. Just keep up the good work and you'll be fine! Keep us posted okay?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#139393 - 01/17/05 02:36 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I live in Canada and honestly the price of organic food here isn't that much! I try to buy organic bananas, bread, tofu products, soy milk, advocados, cookies, crackers, applesauce, carrots, pasta, rice, etc, etc.

To me, it's better for my health not to be ingesting all that junk they put on fruit, veggies and grains. I worry about cancer and it seems like eating as much organic food as possible is what's best for me.

I am pretty stable, IBS-wise but don't know if it has anything to do with eating organic food?

#139429 - 01/17/05 05:52 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I don't eat anything organic (not on purpose) and I do just fine....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

I don't think it' s essential, new
      #139457 - 01/17/05 08:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's just a factor to consider. For chicken and eggs, I'd try to get organic if at all possible, simply because the non-organic versions are so loaded with scary things. Same thing applies to farmed fish instead of wild.

For produce, if you can swing organic, great, if you can't, you can't. I'm not sure there are too many people out there whose control over IBS depends on organic foods only. It's just something to consider for good health overall, but it also needs to balance out with what you can afford and how easy your access is to organic foods. I wouldn't worry about it.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I don't and I'm stable... new
      #139470 - 01/18/05 03:12 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

but paying attention to what goes in things is a big deal and cooking your own- as in not doing lots of pre-prepared stuff unless your sure the ingredients are safe is a big deal.... thats what I've found anyway... I definitely couldn't afford to go the organic route, but I can afford to eat healthier and pay more attention to what is in my foods.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7792 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1257

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review