All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Feeling down and discouraged
      #13742 - 07/10/03 03:55 PM
liz66

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Washington State

Hello everyone, I discovered your message boards in April, read Heather's books and started following her diet since about May. I had been doing pretty well taking 1 T Benefiber 2 x per day and following the diet. With the fiber and following the diet my bowels are firmer but still small in diameter . Now in the last few days I have been having some pretty bad gas and having some relapse. (i.e. going two times a day and bowels are more loose--no pain though). Does this ever happen to anyone else? Guess I need some reassurance. I thought I was doing well! Thanks forf listening.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Feeling down and discouraged new
      #13755 - 07/10/03 10:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Hang on, things will get better. IBS tends to run in cycles.

Try hot fennel tea for the bloating and gas. Also, increase your Benefiber to 2T twice daily. That should help. And drink with LOTS of water.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13790 - 07/11/03 08:55 AM
liz66

Thanks, Heather, for your help! I'll try that. Do I need to keep taking Benefiber 2 T twice a day or can I reduce once I get regulated? Regarding the fennel, I have high blood pressure for which I am taking medication. Do you know if it interferes with the bp meds? I take Atenolol 50 mg? Thanks!

#13793 - 07/11/03 09:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

You'll prob. wanna keep up with the benefiber dose. If it works, stick to it--it's not harmful and you can take it for life!

Fennel tea should not interfere. Heather will be able to give you a more definitive answer....but from what I know herbal teas are GREAT and you can drink as much as you want for life....without negative side effects (beware of black tea though which has caffeine).

Hope this helps, happy Friday!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13801 - 07/11/03 11:00 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You can stay at the max dose of Benefiber forever, or try reducing once you're stable. If you start relapsing just increase the dose again.

I'd check with your pharmacist about fennel and the drug. I'm not aware of any interactions, but it sure won't hurt to check. Most herbal/prescription interactions are well known and documented, so the pharmacist should definitely know.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#13827 - 07/11/03 04:57 PM
liz66

Thanks again for your good advice!

#13828 - 07/11/03 04:58 PM
liz66

Thanks, Ruchie.

Liz

#13831 - 07/11/03 06:11 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I feel badly for you, but I promise you if you stick with this diet and Heather's recommendations you will start feeling better. Hot peppermint tea with every meal and in between meals helps. You may have luck with fennel and chamomile but I didn't. Lots of rice or plain rice cakes helped me in severe attack times.

I have to add something however, even in fear of being called on the carpet for it by other members here, since it's not part of the recommended overall solution to IBS subscribed to by the members of this forum. Just recently I too developed gas, not just belching but flatulence, and the odius kind to boot. Don't know what caused it but it happened and I HAD to do something. (That or stay away from all people forever on.) I remembered a friend that has IBS telling me what she did, so I tried it and it worked. It was taking activated charcoal and digestive enzymes with a meal. I didn't need it with breakfast but did with lunch and dinner. I've only been on it a week and now weaning myself off of it to see if the gas returns (hope not). I caution you though, there are interactions with your BP meds and charcoal. Don't take within 2 hrs. of each other. The recommdations at some web sites say don't take the charcoal with any food, supplements or perscription drugs but I take it just before a meal or in the middle of, and don't have a problem. I take Twinlab's Mega Charcoal Caps (1) and Source Naturals Essential Enzymes (1). Most health food stores carry this or can get it for you or you can order on line if you'd like to try it. They are not perscription drugs. Charcoal has somewhat of a constipating affect (another reason I want to get off of it since I'm an IBS-C). Below is a quick list of who makes it and the web site the list came from if you want to read more about the actions and interactions with other drugs/foods.

Activated charcoal is available from numerous manufacturers generically. Branded products include Liqui-Char (Jones Pharma), Kerr Insta-Char (Kerr), Charcoal Plus DS (Kramer labs), Actidose-Aqua (Paddock Labs), Charcoaid G (Requa), Charcocaps (Requa) and Mega charcoal (Twinlab).

http://www.gettingwell.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/act_0014.shtml

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3961 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2030

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review