All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ok, so why is everyone ignoring the M o M question?
      #13595 - 07/09/03 07:54 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I've posted a question several times about the regular use of Milk of Magnesia and I get no response. Why does no one want to touch this subject? Is it because no one knows the long-term effect of its use? Is there anyone out there that has used it successfully on a regular basis? Any studies done on its long-term effect on the body? Come on! Speak up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ok, so why is everyone ignoring the M o M question? new
      #13596 - 07/09/03 08:05 AM
geekgirl

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: UK

Hi,

Personally I didn't post because I didn't know the answer. So I've just done a search on google for you. It seems you shouldn't use it long term unless under doctor's supervision. You can do the search yourself, but for now this page sums up what all the others are saying. Of course not everything you read on the Net is true...

http://www.gicare.com/pated/milk_of_magnesia.htm

geekgirl

#13600 - 07/09/03 09:10 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I didn't respond either because I didn't know the answer. I DO believe, however, that it is not good to take ANY form of laxative for an extended period of time. Now, as for the definition of that 'extended period' ...I've never found one. MY definition is no more than two days in a two month time frame. I'm afraid of making my bowels lazy also. I'd rather suffer from the temporary constipation than have problems down the road. I'm only 25 and I do treasure the only body that I've been given during this lifetime.

However, I took MoM earlier this week out of desperation. I was backed up all weekend and just couldn't stand it anymore! It worked after two nights. I have also found that if I eat less, then my constipation, gas and bloating tends to be less severe. I'm living on homemade watery soups right now as I don't want to shock my tummy and bowels too quickly with solid foods.

We'll see how it goes. Easy on the laxatives!! Heavy on the H2O!!

jules

--------------------
~jules

#13603 - 07/09/03 09:20 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I just bought some MoM per Jules' suggestion. they didn't have any of the flavors you mentioned...so I got mint. I'll let you know ho it goes.

Most docs, at least the ones I've come across, will tell you it's ok to take a laxative long terms if you have IBS C. I'm wondering what Heather's opinion is on this?

I'll let you know how the mint is...and if it works for me or not!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13614 - 07/09/03 10:04 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

FYI: I got the chocolate flavored MoM and it tasted soooo yucky! I gag every time I take it, so I hold my nose, swallow the stuff, then quickly gargle with mouthwash. It's that bad!

Just a warning! If you can find the French vanilla, it's much more tolerable.

--------------------
~jules

#13624 - 07/09/03 10:34 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - MOM is a laxative, plain and simple. My response to it would be exactly the same as my response to using any other laxative - not good. There have been lots of past posts on laxatives and long term use, and they'll all apply to MOM.

Ruchie - I don't know why any doc would say it's okay for folks with IBS to use laxatives long-term. We're not somehow exempt from the bowel dependency they can cause. And we're even more likely to have problems from the irritation they often use to trigger a bowel movement.

Soluble fiber supplements are the only products marketed as laxatives that are truly safe to take every day, forever. And that's because they aren't actually laxatives at all.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#14361 - 07/18/03 01:16 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Donna!

So sorry your post was neglected! I'm sure it's just like the others have said: if we didn't know something definite, we probably wouldn't be inclined to respond.
Here's my two-cents' worth: my 92-year-old grandmother has taken laxatives (M o M, suppositories, home remedies, etc) most of her adult life for "C". She is definitely an IBS'er even though she doesn't know it! While they gave her relief in the short-term, they unfortunately created a "dependency" - her bowels no longer function as they should and she is miserable most of the time. Her diet sets her up for the misery but since her bowels are no longer contracting normally, it's even worse. I would encourage you to use laxatives as an absolute last resort.

Hope this is helpful!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

#14364 - 07/18/03 02:00 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

I agree that it's a frusturating area because I've had 2 drs. tell me to use MoM!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1235

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review