All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I hate drinking tea!
      #135879 - 01/06/05 05:58 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Alright, I've tried, on two or three occasions, to worry down a cup full of peppermint, sleepy time, tension free, fennel, earl gray, orange peoke...I've tried every kind of tea we own, and I hate them all! They just taste so...blah!

I know I could take the peppermint capulets that Heather sells, but to be honest, I can't afford them! I haven't been able to find any elsewhere, either (not that I could afford those anyway...).

I've used normal sugar, brown sugar, honey, lemon, molasses, heck, I ever used corn syrup to try and make it taste better, and I STILL hate it!

Does anybody have any tips, ideas suggestions...?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I hate drinking tea! new
      #135882 - 01/06/05 06:09 PM
amitchell83

Reged: 09/11/03

I would be interested to hear any comments on this too. I am just like you...I HATE TEA! I have tried everything as well and I just can't find it the least bit apealing. However, I get incredibly sick of water! Any comments would be great!!

~Amanda

#135884 - 01/06/05 06:14 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Think of it with these two things in mind:
1. Retraining your taste. Especially if you're accustomed to soda or other sweet beverages (which many people are) herbal teas will taste quite bland, or worse, like twigs & gravel. It will take some time to retrain your taste buds and your expectations to appreciate the more subtle flavor.
2. OK, I'll be honest- Chamomile tea is never gonna be as good tasting as a Coke, but if you can't get to the point of being able to actively enjoy it, think of it in terms of its medicinal value, and choke it down cause it's good for you. And there's much to be appreciated and enjoyed in that.
The more meditative among us would think of some little gatha to say (that's a Buddhist term for a short verse that you recite or think during a certain activity to keep yourself mindful) something about your gratitude for this gift of the earth that helps keep your body healthy.
Hope that's helpful.

#135888 - 01/06/05 06:24 PM
Ravenndark

I do drink a lot of sweet beverages, and yeah, it DOES taste like twigs and gravel!

I'll try to stick with water for a while, to get all the sugar out of my taste buds!

#135890 - 01/06/05 06:39 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

I definitely can relate with that one. I can't stand tea. I have tried and tried to force myself to acquire a taste for it and it just isn't happening.
I don't really have any suggestions except maybe try sucking on peppermint Altoids when you are feeling "on the edge."

--------------------
Natalie

#135897 - 01/06/05 07:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was never a tea drinker, either... when I had to give up my coffee and soda, I found it almost an insult to my taste buds to have to get used to drinking herbal teas.

But I did get used to it. That's kind of the best advice I have... keep drinking the stuff, you'll get used to it eventually. For me, it was realizing that my only other alternative was water - blech - I learned to like tea quick enough then!

My favorite so far - and what actually got me started *enjoying* tea - is redbush, or rooibus, tea. I brew it up moderately strong, with a teaspoon of sugar and a generous splash of vanilla rice milk. It isn't bad at all. Even better yet, if you can find it, is Yogi Tea brand Redbush Chai. Drink that with more sugar and more rice milk, and it's really good.

I still can't drink peppermint, ginger, fennel, or chamomile teas. I force down peppermint with lots of sugar when I'm having an attack, but the others I just can't do. Sometimes you just have to find teas you like, and leave the others for when you *really* need them.

Good luck!

#135903 - 01/06/05 07:28 PM
Ravenndark

I don't eat altoids because they have geletin, and I'm vegan :P

#136038 - 01/07/05 09:25 AM
sueAngell

Reged: 12/03/04

This may sound uber-snotty and consumer-ish, but try to find a really GOOD brand of tea. Celestial Seasonings is a good (and inexpensive) brand, but if you want to go a little pricier, try Stash or Choice Teas, or Gypsy Teas. Usually a cheap knock-off tea will taste icky, while a good brand will be a whole lot better. I like Stash the best, but found that Trader Joes even makes a fantastic peppermint tea (cheap!) that tastes a whole lot better than other brands I've tried. And Stash makes an amazing Ginger-Lemon tea that soothes the worst stomachs! Good luck!

#136040 - 01/07/05 09:35 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I agree, some brands really taste dry and faded, it is usually worth buying the best you can find. The peppermint tea that Heather sells is very good - the flavour is stronger but also much fresher than any of the shop brands I've tried.

Josephine

Im exactly the same!! new
      #136044 - 01/07/05 09:46 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey I hate the teas too, cant stand any of them...I actually had the worst ibs-d attack of my life after drinking peppermint tea and having had it happen a couple of times since when having something pepperminty, then I think I am allergic. The fennel seemed to make me feel better at the time, then make me bloated and gassy then next day I drink cranberry cordial (no artificial colours, preservatives or sweeteners) and have it hot when I want a hot type juice drink...Ive now developed a fear of HERBAL teas!

--------------------
Natalie

#136049 - 01/07/05 10:08 AM
dmiller

Reged: 12/20/04
Loc: VA, USA

I LOVE Celestial Seasonings Chai tea, I am totally hooked on it, and can't stop drinking it. I drink it all day long. I'm with the others with the peppermint and other teas, I just can't stomach them, I bought peppermint tea by Celestial Seasonings thinking it would taste good, but I couldn't even get a mug of it down, the rest is sitting in our breakroom at work for anyone who might be able to stomach it. They also have some really good fruity tea's, wildberry and there's a cherry one that I make cold tea out of and add sugar into it, it's just like drinking juice, if you can't stomach regular tea try those, they are really sweet and good.

Debra

#136108 - 01/07/05 12:33 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I hate Fennel tea, it gives me awful gas but, Yogi Teas (StomachEase), Ginger and Organic Chamomile are great. I take Heather's peppermint capsules because the tea gives me GERD.

I am sorry you guys are having to experience awful tastes with your teas, but mine tase great AND they are not expensive teas.

Good Luck!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Stash teas new
      #136114 - 01/07/05 12:51 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Interestingly, although Stash is supposed to be a high-end tea maker, around here (Milwaukee area) their teas are less expensive than other brands. And quite good.

Tea and me don't get along new
      #136236 - 01/07/05 08:20 PM

Unregistered

I tried some ginger tea last november when my IBS was really bad and I am no tea drinker but I'd stocked up on all the IBS-friendly ingredients at the store and I thought I'd give the tea a shot and somehow it sounded fun in a way to drink tea. NO WAY - I had one of the worst attacks ever after the tea. Prior to that I'd tried a little peppermint tea and it just didn't taste good. So after those 2 bad experiences in 2 days, the tea varities I own sit in the pantry still and I am too afraid to touch them. So I've yet to decide if tea could grow on me or not taste and IBS-wise, but I'm too afraid to try it yet again.

For me, altoids are my savior. I eat them like it's my job!

Question of Fennel Tea new
      #136299 - 01/08/05 09:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So far, two people on thhis thread have reported that fennel tea cause them gas and bloating. I thought fennel tea was suppose to reduce bloating and gas! I drink this tea during day and evening and thinking maybe this has not been good for me!

Once again, I am confused at the inconsistant information! I get so stressed when I read such varying responses! I am totally confused about this fennel tea now. I'm sorry, I'm just so frustrated at trying to get this diet stuff straight so that I can start feeling better!

Is fennel tea a keeper for the majority of people? Thanks from one confused IBSer!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (01/08/05 06:31 PM)

Re: Question of Fennel Tea new
      #136301 - 01/08/05 10:03 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Well I find it very soothing for the aching feeling I get when bloated and also a lot easier to drink after food than peppermint, which I usually drink in the morning and between meals, camomile in the evening ... but that's just me. I have always found hot drinks very comforting and cold drinks (especially fizzy) a bit of a problem. I get the impression some people don't get on well with any hot drinks and some just can't stomach the flavour. If I'm feeling very sore I would sip small cups of very hot tea rather than downing large quantities for the sake of increasing fluid intake ... hope that makes sense.

I know what you mean about getting frustrated - it seems the only way is to learn how your own body reacts, which may not be anything like other people anyway, but it is very difficult when symptoms are more or less constant - I am in the same situation myself and I just hope that with time I will start to "hear" more clearly what my body is trying to tell me.

Josephine

Re: Question of Fennel Tea new
      #136404 - 01/08/05 06:14 PM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

I usually will drink the fennel tea if I'm really constipated.

Augie - Question of Fennel Tea new
      #136662 - 01/09/05 07:03 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Augie, I read a post a while ago that said fennel tea can appear to give you gas because it is helping you to expel it. So fennel tea doesn't cause gas, it works to remove the gas from your system, hence the feeling of more gas when you drink it. Better out then in I'd say! I guess if you drank fennel tea regulary you wouldn't notice the gas as much. However, about fennel tea causing more bloating, I'm not sure about that one.

For me, fennel tea doesn't do much but peppermint is great. I don't think it fixes my bloating or gas problems but I feel better when drinking it (more of a mind thing I think??) The main thing here is we're desperate for quick fixes but unfortunately there aren't any I'm the biggest culprit as I get so depressed when I'm bloated. I think I've come to the realisation that my bloating episodes will come and go as they please and I just have to ride it out. Of course eating well will help to prevent them, but once we've got an attack I don't think there's much we can do

Welcome to our miserable world.

On another note, how are the BMs going? Mine have been erratic lately. I've become IBS A all of a sudden... having D is reaallly reallly strange. I'm usually battling to have a BM let alone having 3 - 4 a day. I sometimes wonder 'WHY ME!!??' but then realise there are so many people who are much worse off then me.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

Check the IBS Supplements section of the site, for fennel info... new
      #136920 - 01/10/05 01:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

fennel helps prevent and expel gas in the body - it's great for bloating, it won't worsen it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather, that's what I thought, but new
      #136925 - 01/10/05 01:29 PM
Augie

when the other posters said it increase their gas and bloat it caused me to become alarmed. I thought maybe it does cause problems for some people, and as I am still so gassy and bloated, thought maybe I was one of them. Does it have that opposite effect on some people,or is it good for everyone? Or least cannot increase the bloat and gas?

Thanks!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Heather, that's what I thought, but new
      #136940 - 01/10/05 01:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I don't know how it could increase bloating or gas. The volatile oils in fennel actively reduce gas in the GI tract and help you expel gas as well. Fennel also has an anti-spasmodic effect, which can help prevent bloating from mis-timed GI contractions. It might be that people notice they're expelling more gas when using fennel, instead of having trapped gas? Other than that I'm at a loss...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Oh, that makes sense! new
      #136954 - 01/10/05 02:12 PM
Augie

And better expelled gas than trapped, in my humble opinion!

And thanks for the reply on my advice to newcomers! I was so worried that they might take it the wrong way and that it may not be my place to say something. I feel since you have posted your response!

One less thing to worry about!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Augie - Question of Fennel Tea new
      #137066 - 01/10/05 07:47 PM
Augie

First of all, where the heck you been? I've missed you and was wondering if you had just given up on the diet and had decided to try something else.

After reading your response, I also now recall someone suggesting that same philosophy. That fennel gets the gas out so it may seem like you are more gassy. But I agree, better out than trapped inside and hurting! I think Heather's post confirmed yours! I don't think peppermint tea likes me too much as I think it was causing tummy aches. Hard to tell though when I always hurt! Don't have a clue as to what my triggers are at all! That is frustrating.

You have a good attitude about dealing with the bloat issue. It sounds like you have surrendered to it and have accepted that it is a fact of your life. I get very very depressed with all my symptoms, and I don't seem to be able to accept this bloat. I hate feeling fat, nothing fitting, and feeling gross all the time. I would love a quick fix, but I'm willing for a slow fix too. Just as long as there is a fix somewhere down the road. But I don't see one in my future and that is when I get hopeless and teary eyed and just don't want to get up to deal with yet another day of all this crap (or lack of crap in my case)!

I often wonder "why me" as well. What have I done to have to deal with this in my life. It is hard to realize that others have worse things. I must try harder to remember that even with all this, it maybe could be worse.

Weird about your sudden D? Have you done anything different? Are you not taking an SFS and just your magnesium? I forgot what else you decided to try. But I do remember you had given up the Acacia.

Take care. Wish me a good BM tomorrow! I could use some relief. Why won't my bowels let it come out! UGH!

--------------------
~ Beth

#137075 - 01/10/05 08:16 PM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

I'm still here Had a lovely xmas and new years break which is why I haven't been around. Still dealing with the bloat but things seem to improving a bit thank goodness. Am finding the D really strange..... I still take magnesium and am thinking of giving acacia another try soon so maybe that will fix things up. However better D then nothing at all, I'm so sorry things are still tough for you.

I just read a post someone sent to you about relieving IBS C and I just wanted to say HOW MUCH I agree about water, water and more water being the key to reliving C. Without a doubt that and exercise are the two single-most effective ways. I know you don't like water or tea but could you perhaps try cordial or something similar? How about ice tea? I have some lovely strawberry leaf tea which is delicious cold. Although I suppose that suits my climate at the moment (its delightfully warm in Australia at the moment), maybe cold drinks aren't your 'cup of tea' (sorry bout the pun!!) at the moment.

But whatever you can do to increase your fluid intake, please try it. You'll be amazed at the difference, I'd almost like to guarantee it!! Other then that, are you trying magnesium still? I sent you a post yesterday called 'dear augie' about my experience with using an allergist/ naturopath. Would it be possible for you to see someone like that about what supplements would best suit you? Its so tough trying to research this all ourselves, and we beat ourselves up when we can't find the answers.

Good luck with the BM, I'll send good thoughts your way And can you give the water/ tea thing a real try for a few days? If you can battle to get 2 litres down every day for a week or so and it gives you a BM then you'll never go back!!

Take care xxx

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

#137089 - 01/10/05 08:52 PM
Augie

I'll post more on your other post to me tomorrow hopefully. Did post some info, but want to do more. You can always email me too!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review