All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ARRRGH! Inflexible Hospital Dietician
      #13396 - 07/07/03 02:21 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You won't believe what I've been through this week trying to get the dietician to believe that I can control my own diet. When I came in, I told her, lactose intolerant, IBS, and pregnant. I told her that I had an excellent handle on what I can and cannot eat, and tried to explain the trigger foods. HUH! Now, she is COMPLETELY unwilling to let me "open" up the diet she set up for me! I was trying to get the extended menu accessible to me since I'm going to be here probably for another 7 weeks. I very politely said that I appreciated all the work she put in, but I would feel better if I had more control as to what I could eat. She doesn't seem to understand the ability to tolerate things in certain amounts.
I am NOT a confrontational person but this lady is inflexible as a piece of rock! I just kept repeating that I had a really good handle on what I could tolerate, and out of respect, I explained Heather's IBS diet, hoping that once she understood, I would get further. BRICK WALL!
Heather - maybe you could send me a pamphlet to give to her explaining it all - I'm not getting anywhere.
Sorry to ramble but I had to vent my frustration.
It will work out eventually - thankfully she's going on holidays and another dietician will be in tomorrow. Maybe I'll have better luck.
Here's to wishful diet thinking.
Thanks for listening.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ARRRGH! Inflexible Hospital Dietician new
      #13400 - 07/07/03 02:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Geez, like you need this problem on top of everything else!

I have a pamphlet I send to doctors - I'm happy to send you that. It's just got general guidelines, so I don't know if it will somehow persuade her, but it's worth a shot. You might have better luck handing her a copy of the First Year. It's got the doctor foreword, and medical folks love that endorsement. And it's got the dietary chapter, so maybe she'd pay attention to that?

Let me know...
- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Another thought... new
      #13401 - 07/07/03 02:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

if she subscribes to Today's Dietitian (the industry journal for her field, but it's American, so there may be a Canadian version) tell her to check the February 2003 edition. Cover article on IBS, and they excerpted info from Eating for IBS.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: ARRRGH! Inflexible Hospital Dietician new
      #13402 - 07/07/03 03:11 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I feel for you, you must be really frustrated. I have been working a lot lately so have missed a bit of what's going on. Are you in hospital for the rest of your pregnancy?

Hopefully the info from Heather will help to explain things for you.

Could you have your husband bring you some foods in?

Let us know how you go.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 721

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review